PDA

View Full Version : Fresh OS X install and purchased Apps

PowerBookRelic
Apr 6, 2009, 06:27 AM
I think that I am going to do a fresh install on my intel Macbook. There are a few reasons for this, one of them being I still have files lurking from my migration from my PBG4, and I feel like my system has just been accumulating junk since 2004. I was just wondering about the programs that I bought, however. For instance, I have the microsoft office pack. If I do a fresh install, and then try to copy the microsoft office from my external, will it recognize me as the same owner? Is there any other file in the ~/library that I need to copy to ensure proper ownership. Same goes for a few other apps, most notably Mark/Space Missing Sync for Palm. Also, as far as my iCal is concerned, should I just copy any ~/library material such as preferences and application support, etc.?

DJ567
Apr 6, 2009, 06:33 AM
i cant give you a definitive answer on this but 1 thing you could do is backup with time machine and then cherry pick the stuff you want back from the backup.

if anything doesnt work simply find any reference to it on the backup disk and copy that too... if you still find something doesnt work you will have your answer... and you wont lose anything as you can restore entirely from the backup as if you never reinstalled at all (although reinstalling may clear up a few system files)

i did this after first migrating from a white macbook 2.0ghz to a black macbook 2.4ghz and finding that the black mb worked worse than then white one. just doing a reinstall then restoring from a backup seemed to improves things somewhat (not significantly dont get me wrong, they're not that different after all)

SHIFTLife
Apr 6, 2009, 09:41 AM
Why not just reinstall the programs using your original media?

PowerBookRelic
Apr 6, 2009, 10:34 AM
Why not just reinstall the programs using your original media?

I could do this; however, I was wondering if the program would think that I was installing it on two different computers. Would it know that it is the same computer? For instance, Microsoft Word I get from school (for basically free), but we only get one license. So if I try to install it on my freshly installed OS X, I am unsure it it would think it was an illegal usage of the license agreement (i.e., being installed on two computers). For my SuperDuper! and missing sync for Palm OS, I downloaded them off the internet, and have the same issue. If I use the same reg # and pws, would it know that it is the same comp?

IJ Reilly
Apr 6, 2009, 10:36 AM
You are really just making work for yourself. If you've got no problems, why put yourself through this?

Also, FWIW, there is no such thing as a "fresh install." This is not one of the two options.

PowerBookRelic
Apr 6, 2009, 10:48 AM
You are really just making work for yourself. If you've got no problems, why put yourself through this?

Also, FWIW, there is no such thing as a "fresh install." This is not one of the two options.

Perhaps I am ignorant on how I can install/erase OS X. Can I not just boot off of my external backup copy, and erase the HDD on my MB? Then, get the install disk and install OS X on the internal HDD - this is what I consider in my head to be a 'fresh' install; however, not knowing too much about how computers work perhaps I am not using the proper terminology.

IJ Reilly
Apr 6, 2009, 11:04 AM
If you're asking me, I say don't do this at all -- especially if nothing is really wrong with your Mac.

The two choices are Archive and Install, and Erase and Install. Both come with potential pitfalls and issues. I would not do either one in your case. I'd simply throw out the stuff I don't want.

angemon89
Apr 6, 2009, 11:06 AM
Perhaps I am ignorant on how I can install/erase OS X. Can I not just boot off of my external backup copy, and erase the HDD on my MB? Then, get the install disk and install OS X on the internal HDD - this is what I consider in my head to be a 'fresh' install; however, not knowing too much about how computers work perhaps I am not using the proper terminology.I would consider that to be a "fresh" install, yes.

I too have been wanting to do a fresh install lately but I haven't done it because I don't know the answer to that question either.

EDIT: On second thought, I think I'll just hold out until Snow Leopard comes out to do a "fresh" install.

PowerBookRelic
Apr 6, 2009, 11:17 AM

You are probably right about this being more work, and probably unnecessary. I was just thinking that tonight while I was doing my homework I could use my PBG4 and leave my MB doing the reinstall. There isn't anything wrong with my computer right now, and I have ample free space. I just wanted to neaten things up because I migrated all my files from my powerbook (from 2004), and back when I first got my PB I really didn't know what I was doing. Going through the library and such I know that I have some wasted space from apps that weren't deleted properly (pre using appcleaner- I didn't realize all the files that apps installed in various places). So I guess in my head I was thinking that I have an accumulation of 5 years of files, of which I have not always been the best at managing. I was thinking if I did an erase and install, then I would just attach my external, copy over the iTunes songs and my iPhoto photos, and go from there.
Regardless of what I choose to do, does anyone know the answer to how programs record how the registration number is used? Like I said, I would be putting the same Apps on the same computer, but it would be after an erase and install, so I am unsure if the apps would think that this was a 'new' computer. I have the registration codes and the installers for everything, but am afraid if I retype the and code it would think I was using it twice....

IJ Reilly
Apr 6, 2009, 11:34 AM
So what's the problem with accumulating files? I've got stuff going back 15 years or more on mine, the product of several migrations. Hurts nothing. Hurts more to lose something you needed in a cleanup impulse.

An Erase and Install will require reinstallation of all of your applications. Even an Archive and Install will require the reinstallation of some of your applications; which ones you will probably not know until you try to run them. The applications in this category are the ones that installed a kernel extension. You'd better have your original media handy, and those serial numbers. You will also lose anything stored in the Application Support libraries. If you use iWork (for example), any templates you've created will be gone. Have you ever installed any fonts? They'll be gone too. Yes, you'd have both on your backup, but now you've got to go find them.

Some will say you can use Migration Assistant to bring these things back, and that is true. But if you're simply copying everything back, what have you actually accomplished?