Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
checking out the Folding@Home stats page:

Speedguide.net 4905581
Macrumors.com 4892041

Looks like we will be passing them soon... very soon.

not that it's a competition... all for a good cause, right? but still.... let's show 'em what we're made of.

--Nny

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Nny said:

Speedguide.net 4905581
Macrumors.com 4892041

not that it's a competition... all for a good cause, right? but still.... let's show 'em what we're made of.

--Nny
I don't fold currently - I'm trying to decide whether to join the Macrumors.com team. Can you give me a URL to the Folding@Home site?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Nny said:

Speedguide.net 4905581
Macrumors.com 4892041

--Nny

It is indeed all for a good cause. Our cause it to take the mac to the top of the leaderboard! ;)

We're not going to be passing speedguide today though. We'll be shooting by them in about 4 days, most likely.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've downloaded and installed the Folding@home client - I'm waiting for it to configure itself and start folding.
<edit> I just figured out that it doesn't start until Show Protein is selected. It's folding now.</edit>

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Hopefully getting back to our well deserved #18 spot will be the beginning of a strategy to keep us as the #1 Mac Team. If the G5's come out soon we will certainly be well on our way.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
wdlove said:
Hopefully getting back to our well deserved #18 spot will be the beginning of a strategy to keep us as the #1 Mac Team. If the G5's come out soon we will certainly be well on our way.
Yes, but Team Mac OS X will probably still pass us in a few months. But there's no shame in being the #2 Mac Folding Team...or is there? ;)

Fold on! :)

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
MacFan25 said:
Yes, but Team Mac OS X will probably still pass us in a few months. But there's no shame in being the #2 Mac Folding Team...or is there? ;)

Of course there is! If we get some front page exposure after we pass the next team I am sure that will really boost our performance, it seams we get about 100 new users and then 50 stay,50 uninstall. We need some members to step up and get more points too, I have something I am working on that has the potential to REALLY boost our points!

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
MacFan25 said:
Yes, but Team Mac OS X will probably still pass us in a few months.

Heresy!!!

we will remain the #1 Mac Folding Team period.
i just added a 4th machine today, a 2.6ghz Pentium 4
in the next month i'll add another 2.4ghz Pentium 4, and possibly a 733mhz Pentium 3 and/or an Athlon 1ghz.
sure they are pc's but desperate times call for desperate measures... and the only thing they'll be doing is Folding.

yea.... that'll hold em off..

and you better beleive if (heaven forbid) Team Mac OS X does pass us for 1 second, i'll make the last stand with CompUSA's display G5's all set to 3446.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Vlade said:
Of course there is! If we get some front page exposure after we pass the next team I am sure that will really boost our performance, it seams we get about 100 new users and then 50 stay,50 uninstall. We need some members to step up and get more points too, I have something I am working on that has the potential to REALLY boost our points!
Yeah it seems we get a temporary boost for like 1-2 WU and then they suddendly die down.

Next time we are mentioned on the front page we really need some links to the programs and to tell them to how and why they should join the team and why to KEEP running the program.

Really, 1/2 retention (I think its more like 1/3) is horrible -- Horrible.

We need to do better.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
MacFan25 said:

There wasn't when that's where we were, so I can't see it being the worst thing in the world. At least, we're not in any danger from MacNN or MacCentral or MacAddict.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
bousozoku said:
There wasn't when that's where we were, so I can't see it being the worst thing in the world. At least, we're not in any danger from MacNN or MacCentral or MacAddict.
All of those teams smoked... I don't know, smoked something heavy.

They had a lot of support but it just fell out.

MacAddict was running a good competition with Mac Os X a while back... where are they now eh?

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
adamjay said:
Heresy!!!

we will remain the #1 Mac Folding Team period.
With an attitude like that, maybe we can. ;)

But what I was trying to say was that when new G5s are released, Team Mac OS X will probably add some to their team, and we probably will too. The release will help us mac teams competing against PC teams, but not really help MacRumors.com competing against the other mac teams, because they, too, will add G5s to their teams as well. Unless, of course everyone at Macrumors decides to get a new G5 when they come out... ;)

But, I'm confindent that we still have plenty of time to get our daily production higher and remain the #1 Mac Team. :cool:

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
i'll be passing 1000 points in a couple of hours...not bad considering:

1. I started a week and a half ago
2. i'm using one machine
3. i've gotten more than a handful of 400 frame tinkers

actually, i think that i might pass 1100 points today if i don't get another one of those beasts...

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
benpatient said:

1. I started a week and a half ago
2. i'm using one machine

actually, i think that i might pass 1100 points today if i don't get another one of those beasts...
Congratulations...and thanks for joining the team. :)

You must be folding with a G5 or fast P4, correct?

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
benpatient said:

Nice work. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Stanford has re-done how they figure points, and the machine they use for a reference. The bottom line is that Tinkers are now worth more points. They are also using a P4 to calculate points. Athlons do better on Tinkers compared to P4s, so if you are using Athlons, you should not use the -advmethods flag, and instead welcome as many Tinkers as you can get. Tinkers are still a bad deal for G4s and G5s since they lack Altivec optimization.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
Having problems submitting WU's back to server.

My Pentium box hasn't been able to submit a completed Tinker WU for the last 2 days.

the lines read
- Couldn't send HTTP request to server
+ Could not connect to Work Server (results)
(171.64.122.143:8080)
- Error: Could not transmit unit 04 (completed April 20). Keeping unit in queue.

and then it goes on to continue folding protein: p1006_ppg10_pfold

so it was able to connect to get the new protein, but can't connect to Work Server to send results on this tinker.

how can i fix this??

thanks!

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
I will be helping out in the efforts once the new PMs are released. Right now my PIII 700 won't do much as i am maxing it out while we speak.

jbeetz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
adamjay said:
My Pentium box hasn't been able to submit a completed Tinker WU for the last 2 days.

the lines read
- Couldn't send HTTP request to server
+ Could not connect to Work Server (results)
(171.64.122.143:8080)
- Error: Could not transmit unit 04 (completed April 20). Keeping unit in queue.

and then it goes on to continue folding protein: p1006_ppg10_pfold

so it was able to connect to get the new protein, but can't connect to Work Server to send results on this tinker.

how can i fix this??

thanks!

No worries, 143 is "down" according to Stanford's server page. Patience, it'll come back up and your results will be returned!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Standford really needs to open Google Only Servers.

Because Google itself makes like 90% of the server load, basically stopping the rest of us for getting and sending work unites!

:mad:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This protein I'm working on, p638,L939_K12M, is taking a good while to complete. It's spent about 3 days working on it and it's only 50% done. How can I find out how many points I'll get for folding it successfully?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.