Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I can't believe I'm even posting this question. I just opened iTunes and the window is so big the bottom is cut off so I can't resize the window from the bottom right-hand corner. Clicking the minus just gives me the player controls and "x" of course closes it. The "+" gives me just the player controls. I just want to resize the window so it's say, 1/4 my screen. How do I resize the window when I can't see the bottom corner?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Since our "dumb noobie" friend ;) probably doesn't know how to do that:

The iTunes plist is located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist. (~ is shorthand for your user home folder.) Deleting it will reset some of your preferences to their defaults, including the window size, but your library will be unaffected.

Anecdote: Installing iTunes on my iBook, I discovered that the default size is slightly too high to allow you to grab the resize handle at the bottom, even with the window right at the top. I ended up having to hack the plist in order to reduce the height.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Since our "dumb noobie" friend ;) probably doesn't know how to do that:

The iTunes plist is located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist. (~ is shorthand for your user home folder.) Deleting it will reset some of your preferences to their defaults, including the window size, but your library will be unaffected.

Anecdote: Installing iTunes on my iBook, I discovered that the default size is slightly too high to allow you to grab the resize handle at the bottom, even with the window right at the top. I ended up having to hack the plist in order to reduce the height.

I already did this and it's not working. BTW, I working on a brand spanking new MBP 15".

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
I already did this and it's not working. BTW, I working on a brand spanking new MBP 15".
  1. Open iTunes. Make sure the iTunes window is visible and in front.
  2. Open Terminal. It's located in "/Applications/Utilities/"
  3. Paste:
    osascript -l AppleScript -e 'tell application "iTunes" to set bounds of window 1 to {0, 22, 300, 300}'​
    into the Terminal window.
  4. Hit enter.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
  3. Paste:
    osascript -l AppleScript -e 'tell application "iTunes" to set bounds of window 1 to {0, 22, 300, 300}'​
  4. Hit enter.

Now THAT worked! Awesome. Thank you!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
  3. Paste:
  4. Hit enter.

Neat trick! I'll have to remember that one.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Sometimes OS X is so ridiculous.

I just wasted 20 minutes on this bug. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out myself. Deleting the .plist file didn't work. I used a text editor to change things in the .plist file and couldn't find the right thing to change. Searching the .plist file for "height" or "window" finds nothing, "size" turns up two unhelpful things, and I couldn't find a number that plausibly looked like the window height in pixels. The second 10 minutes were spent searching the internet, until I found this.

Thank you so much! And Apple: FIX THIS! FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT, FIX IT!

Hint: Perhaps make the '+' button cycle through more than just two sizes (namely 'regular' and 'teeny weeny playback control buttons only'). Perhaps make it cycle through 'regular', 'smaller', and 'teeny weeny'. Or you know what? Don't make the '+' toggle teeny weeny mode at all, that is stupid. Put teeny weeny mode in the 'Window' or 'View' menu.

Otherwise I might have to shiv someone next time I hit a bug like that.

BMWFan

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Wouldn't it be so much easier if OS X allowed resizing through all points of the window like every other OS out there? But no, Apple has to "think different". Different != better.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
oh yeh i was thinking of side resizing aswell. corner resizing would be nice.

in Windows there is a "grab spot" in one corner however every corner is resizable? OS X should have this! :(

BMWFan

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
oh yeh i was thinking of side resizing aswell. corner resizing would be nice.

in Windows there is a "grab spot" in one corner however every corner is resizable? OS X should have this! :(

Not just Windows. Basically every OS out there apart from OS X allows resizing through all corners and all sides.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
For what it's worth, the real answer to the original query was

Window > Zoom (control-command-Z)

rbk

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Resize window (iTunes) solved

Just got to the same (rather frustrating) problem, and bumped into a solution in some other forum, and it's quite neat and simple.

Simply hold the 'option' key whilst clicking on the green (+) button at the top of the screen.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I've had this problem in the past, the quickest solution I've found is to change screen resolutions .. that will resize the offending window so you can adjust it ... then go back to the original resolution.

Thomas101

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
Pah what a n00b! I would never ask a question like that...

*pastes* osascript -l AppleScript -e 'tell application "iTunes" to set bounds of window 1 to {0, 22, 300, 300}'

...I'm so glad I'm not the only one having the problem :) lololol

Thanks very much A*

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
  3. Paste:
  4. Hit enter.

Perfect! I just went from a 17" PowerBook to a 15" MacBook Pro and forgot to reset iTunes before I transfered. Awesome tip!

castor3

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
  3. Paste:
  4. Hit enter.

Hi guys, first time here, i wanna ask for help about the same problem, but that "terminal line" that u posted here, didnt work for me, it resized and moved my iTunes window, but it couldnt make my window smaller in the horizontal. I think my itunes is bugged or something, because if, with the mouse, i try to drag the side of the window to make it smaller, i can do it, but just a bit, the window is still almost horizontally full screen.
My only problem here is in the horizontal way, vertical works fine.
If u have some idea of another terminal code line that can "super force" window resizing i would really appreciate that.
(hope not many english errors, not my native language)

Thx in advance!! :)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Um, did you notice that the post you quoted was made nearly 4 years ago? You might want to start your own new thread. Use a descriptive title and give ample information about your setup and your issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.