Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
I'll be fitting my new 09 mac mini internal hard drive hopefully tonight. I want to copy all the information (programs etc) onto my new hard drive before I install it. Whats the best way of going about this?

I already have an external caddy, so am I right in thinking I can put the new hard drive into that, connect it up to my mini, format it, install osx, and use migration assistant, or I vaguely remember something called 'cloner' or something similar to that name to copy all the data? That when all the info is copied I can take out the stock hard drive, remove the new drive from the external caddy and place it into the mac mini? Then it should boot up fine?

Sorry if this has been posted before, I've had a quick search and could not find what I was looking for. If someone could direct me to somewhere I can read about it then that would be great :D

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
ok that sorts out the hard drive copy, but what about the install of osx? Do I have to boot from the osx disks and select the destination disk as the external hard drive? Or will cloner do that? :confused::confused:

After you clone the drive, make sure you can boot from it (by USB or FW) before opening up your Mini. That way you can isolate any problem that might have arisen during the cloning.

Do I go about that by going into system preferences and changing the start up disk options to the external drive? Then restarting the mini? Then vice versa if it works okay? :confused:

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
ok that sorts out the hard drive copy, but what about the install of osx? Do I have to boot from the osx disks and select the destination disk as the external hard drive? Or will cloner do that? :confused::confused:

CCC does it all - there's no need to install OS X.
A direct bit-for-bit copy of your internal hard drive should boot up with no problems.

(and just hold down 'option' as your mini is starting up and choose the external drive to test that it all copied ok)

Cave Man

macrumors 604

Not necessary. CCC makes a bootable copy of your current drive. So long as you're using the same computer, there is no need for reinstall. Be absolutely certain that you set the new drive to GUID partition table when you initialize it with Disk Utility (Partition > Options) and before you clone it with CCC or it will not boot on your Mini.

Do I go about that by going into system preferences and changing the start up disk options to the external drive? Then restarting the mini? Then vice versa if it works okay? :confused:

When you turn the computer on, press and hold the Option key until you're presented with bootable volumes. Use the arrow keys to choose the new drive in the external enclosure and press <return>. That'll select the new drive for booting.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
So just to confirm:

1. Insert the new hard drive into the external caddy and plug it into the usb on my mini.
2. Go into disk utilities and initialize the drive to GUID partition
3. Open CCC and select the option clone the drive to my new drive in the external enclosure
4. When it's complete restart the mini and hold down the option key until the new drive appears. Select it.
5. Make sure the new drive is working okay

Okay so if it is then where do I go from here? If I shut down the mini and insert the new drive will it start up from it, or do I have to restart the mini with the stock drive and hold that option key and select the original stock drive again. Then when it boots up shutdown the mini and then insert the new drive?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to get it right without any hiccups. It's nerving enough fitting a new drive alone in the mini, without having anymore things on my mind! :eek::eek:

Cave Man

macrumors 604
So just to confirm:

Yes, that's the order and should work for you.

Okay so if it is then where do I go from here? If I shut down the mini and insert the new drive will it start up from it, or do I have to restart the mini with the stock drive and hold that option key and select the original stock drive again.

The Mini will look for the default drive, which is on the HD SATA bus. No need to do anything, it'll just boot.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
Okay just about to do it, sitting at my mini now. A few things:

Just needs to be 1 partition GUID?

What format do I use as there are 6 options in the format menu?

Mac OS extended (journaled), mac OS extended etc etc :confused::confused:

I'm pretty sure its Mac OS extended (journaled)

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
This is when I usually have a couple of beers. ;)

Unfortunately I drank the ones in my fridge on Saturday :D:D I've had a curry instead to pass time, although it's not quite the same without some beers! :D

CCC is taking it's time:rolleyes:

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
So it's unnecessary because it's slower, or are there more steps involved?

Time Machine doesn't create a bootable copy of the drive - it only backs up files from the drive. As a result, you'd have to reinstall OS X on the new drive and restore from Time Machine. It's just much quicker to clone the old drive and then put the clone on the new drive and install it.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
So it's unnecessary because it's slower, or are there more steps involved?

When I've used MA to move to a new hard drive I always have to re-enter my serial numbers for some of my software (e.g., Final Cut, etc.). When I clone the drive that doesn't happen. IMO, the only time you should use MA is when you're moving to a new computer, since there will be machine-specific code that may cause problems if you clone.

beatmonkeytwo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
UK
CCC done. I've just restarted my mini and pressed down the option key, but it just stays on the grey screen, no menu come up to select a bootable drive? Do I have to press it at a certain time? And just to be sure the option key is known as the 'alt' key is it not? With a little symbol like half a bath on the bottom?

Had to restart it as it just stayed on the grey screen

Cave Man

macrumors 604
That's strange. At the very least your internal drive should have showed up. Do this: turn it on and as soon as you hear the chime press and hold the Option key until the volumes show up.

Can you tell me more about your drive caddy, in particular it's interface and speed? If it's USB1.1 that could be the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.