PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails Application Coming to iPhone

MacRumors
Apr 7, 2009, 02:42 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/07/nine-inch-nails-application-coming-to-iphone/)

As part of an extensive interview (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/04/trent-reznor-wa.html) with Wired, Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor and collaborator Rob Sheridan revealed plans for an upcoming Nine Inch Nails iPhone application that is awaiting approval by Apple. The application is said to utilize the location-based social features found in Twinkle (http://tapulous.com/twinkle/) and known as "Nearby".The free Nine Inch Nails app, scheduled for release as soon as it gets final approval from Apple, is a mobile window on all things NIN: music, photos, videos, message boards, even — thanks to a GPS-enabled feature called Nearby — the fans themselves.

Nearby is "kind of like Twitter within the Nine Inch Nails network," says Rob Sheridan, Reznor's long-time collaborator. "You can post a message or a photo by location, and if you're at a show you can see conversations between other people who are right there."The application will reportedly link with the official NIN.com website and allow fans to upload photos and messages directly to the site, utilizing features of Nearby to make the locations of the content viewable on Google Earth.The iPhone app takes that a big step further. NIN.com has a Google Earth plug-in that fans can use to see conversations and photos from across the planet, or at a specific location. A feature on the iPhone app's Nearby tab will enable them to post messages and photos from their iPhones to the website and have them pop up in Google Earth.

Article Link: Nine Inch Nails Application Coming to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/07/nine-inch-nails-application-coming-to-iphone/)

ZMRoach
Apr 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've been waiting for this app forever! The whole approval process has taken nearly 3 weeks now(part of the 5ish% that don't get approved in less than a week), TR tweeted when it was submitted to Apple. It seems like it will be worth the wait though. Hopefully with all the press that this app is getting in the music world right now it will pressure Apple to finally approve it.

DipDog3
Apr 7, 2009, 03:09 PM
This old news. This exact story was on Digg yesterday.

CocoaPuffs
Apr 7, 2009, 03:31 PM
Great, another web page converted into an app for no good reason in particular.

Other than I guess the location service part...

mus0r
Apr 7, 2009, 03:56 PM
Will this enable us to drop TR messages telling him how terrible his last few releases have been?

cloudnine
Apr 7, 2009, 04:06 PM
Will this enable us to drop TR messages telling him how terrible his last few releases have been?

iawtc. How is NIN even still relevant? They had a very unique sound in the late 80's, early to mid 90's, but 20 years of trying to do album after album of the same sound is just sad. We don't really need an iPhone app to remind us of how little they've progressed along the way.

modul8tr
Apr 7, 2009, 04:36 PM
^^^^

Alright, clearly you're kidding. Please tell me how The Fragile, or even Ghosts I-IV & The Slip (the two latest releases) sound anything like Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral? Whether you actually like those records or not....sonically, they're all different.

I'm excited about the app. And remember, it's only the beginning.

brianbobcat
Apr 7, 2009, 05:25 PM
I want ot know more about this Google Earth PLug-in they're talking about. I've taken the time to map out ALL Apple Retail stores around the globe on the desktop version of Google Earth, but no way to get a .kml or .kmz onto the phone. If G.E. 2.0 would incorporate layer support so I could import this file, that would be Great!

Frankly I couldn't care less about NIN, but that's just me.

-Brian

ben5959
Apr 7, 2009, 08:51 PM
I feel a little let down about the comments that some of you have made about nin. I expected more from the tech savvy individuals that populate the MR universe. Nin is a complex supergroup that has constantly reinvented their sound since the late 80's depending on the technological advancements of the times. They are a testiment to die hard metal/industrial fans as well as geeks alike. Clearly some of you haven't really listened to their latest releases. Head Like A Hole to Closer to Into the Void to Echoplex, all completly different sounds yet the same old musical genius is consistent. The nin app will be welcomed with open arms.

bennifer3000
Apr 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
I'm somewhat surprised at the poor reaction, but not at all shocked, given the obscene amount of Mac Posers out there, who band-wagoned around 2005 due to mounting peer pressure and public perception, but this App is nothing less than a revelation. In both the music industry and in interactive technologies.

Trent and co. have continued down the path of innovation both technically and creatively and crafted one of the best iPhone Apps out there. Like their other revolutionary ideas that showed how it's about the fans and the music, not the corporate giants (Year Zero games, The Slip free, high-quality giveaway, etc.), hopefully this will mark a return to artistry and ethics in music.

NIN, just like Apple, continues not to accept comfortability or "the norm" and that is inspiring. I tip my hat to you, Mr. Reznor/Sheridan.

JtheLemur
Apr 7, 2009, 10:09 PM
Oh just look at all the missed opportunities for marketing!

"…*within the Nine Inch Network…"
"… within the Nine Inch Nailswork…"
"… within the NINetwork…"
"… within the Nearby Nails Network…"

Boooo Rob Sheridan!

eXan
Apr 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
+1 to NIN-defense :)

Xian Zhu Xuande
Apr 7, 2009, 11:58 PM
iawtc. How is NIN even still relevant? They had a very unique sound in the late 80's, early to mid 90's, but 20 years of trying to do album after album of the same sound is just sad. We don't really need an iPhone app to remind us of how little they've progressed along the way.
You clearly haven't listened to NIN in a while. ;)
Or much at all. Their sound changes considerably from album to album.

cloudnine
Apr 8, 2009, 12:51 AM

Well, just to clarify, I have... Year Zero, With Teeth, Pretty Hate Machine, Ghosts I-IV, The Downward Spiral and Closer. And yes, I loved NIN back in the day. In my angsty teen years, I was all about Closer and Pretty Hate Machine. But, it all just started to sound the same to me, and I'm not into them enough nowadays to care whether or not their sound has changed. I guess I don't have much to "rebel" against these days.

Regardless, I find it amusing that NIN, or any other band for that matter, is releasing an iPhone application. Shameless self-indulgent promotion. Could reznor "toot" his own horn any louder?

SpaceKitty
Apr 8, 2009, 01:42 AM
I feel a little let down about the comments that some of you have made about nin. I expected more from the tech savvy individuals that populate the MR universe. Nin is a complex supergroup that has constantly reinvented their sound since the late 80's depending on the technological advancements of the times. They are a testiment to die hard metal/industrial fans as well as geeks alike. Clearly some of you haven't really listened to their latest releases. Head like a whole to closer to into the void to echoplex, all completly different sounds yet the same old musical genius is consistent. The nin app will be welcomed with open arms.

Supergroup??? You do realize I hope that Trent WAS NIN and there was no one else in the band but him. He did everything in the studio and much of the music was programmed just as it is today. Trent only brought a band together to do tours. Gary Numan was another artist who did the same thing in the late 80s and most of the 90s. That's the thing with electronic music, you don't need a band to do much of it. Ghosts was a great example of this.

lostngone
Apr 8, 2009, 05:57 AM

I agree, however call me old fashion but I liked their early stuff...

lostngone
Apr 8, 2009, 06:03 AM
I don't know about the NIN app..

However a Metalocalypse app would be totally brutal!!!

Knowlege Bomb
Apr 8, 2009, 06:23 AM
Well, just to clarify, I have... Year Zero, With Teeth, Pretty Hate Machine, Ghosts I-IV, The Downward Spiral and Closer. And yes, I loved NIN back in the day. In my angsty teen years, I was all about Closer and Pretty Hate Machine. But, it all just started to sound the same to me, and I'm not into them enough nowadays to care whether or not their sound has changed. I guess I don't have much to "rebel" against these days.

Regardless, I find it amusing that NIN, or any other band for that matter, is releasing an iPhone application. Shameless self-indulgent promotion. Could reznor "toot" his own horn any louder?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but how is providing an interaction tool for your fans "tooting your own horn"? You think he doesn't feel satisfied with his 20+ year music career? :rolleyes:

blindzero
Apr 8, 2009, 08:48 AM

Sonically and lyrically The Fragile is more mature than any of his other work...without listening to The Fragile you can't quite make your first argument. While I agree his past few releases have left me a bit wanting (even if there are quite a few gems to be found), it doesn't mean he or this app isn't "relevant" - he is trying to be at the forefront of offering his fans a better way to interact:

Probably the best was he offered a bunch of his music up for remixing, and even placed a distribution tool for the remixes on his site.

This isn't huge news, but it's another forward step in what is possible for fans and artists to connect.

ctdonath
Apr 8, 2009, 03:06 PM
This app is disruptive tech.

Oh sure it's not a giant deal when applied only to its intended audience (NIN fans, even casual ones like me).

But ... consider how this will be immediately & pervasively duplicated for any number of specialized social interests. The whole "message board" paradigm (this one included) could very well be outright replaced by equivalent apps. Not only does a given audience have an ability to chat with likeminded others, but we'll have in-pocket instant push notification, geotagged text/audio/photo/video posts, "Nearby" location of members wanting to meet up, etc. - all specialized to a particular topic and membership-style audience.

For many years I've seen message board posters struggle to coordinate meet-ups on short notice, beg for "where was that taken" photos, belatedly switch from casual check-in pull-style review of new messages to instant-update push-style messaging over breaking news, and generally lament missing out on lots of interesting things (if they find out at all).

This is huge. And it started with a depressed-sounding industrial rocker wanting to keep his fans informed.

likemyorbs
Apr 8, 2009, 11:11 PM
oh thats just great! why doesn't nickelback make an app too? it'll be just about as useful...

chappy87
Apr 9, 2009, 10:40 AM
So where the hell has this thing got to?! Trent said on Friday that it should be ok-ed by apple "any time now" on Monday.

This thing has massive potential, as pointed about by a previous poster. NIN are still incredibly relevant, with a hugely developing sound. To look at their relevance and continued progression by looking at the Year Zero ARG, and the new ways in which Trent is publishing his music without a record company. Trent Reznor is one of the most innovative people in music right now, and this is illustrated through this app. This is why it's completely different to Nickelback doing anything similar....

k'five
Apr 9, 2009, 11:00 AM
NIN. ....(yawn). OOooooo "Daaaark". :rolleyes: Hooray for melodramatic noodling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4

...NIN, just a band.

ben5959
Apr 9, 2009, 02:06 PM
Supergroup??? You do realize I hope that Trent WAS NIN and there was no one else in the band but him. He did everything in the studio and much of the music was programmed just as it is today. Trent only brought a band together to do tours. Gary Numan was another artist who did the same thing in the late 80s and most of the 90s. That's the thing with electronic music, you don't need a band to do much of it. Ghosts was a great example of this.

Supergroup?, uhhhh , Yes a Supergroup,

While the main efforts/creations of NIN has been mainly solely been Attributed to Trent, take a look at the people whom he has collaborated with and brought in as the band to back him......

Robin Finck (GNR), Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Beck), Twiggy Ramirez (Manson), Charlie Clouser (freakin everyone), Josh Freese (Devo, A Perfect Circle) , Richard Patrick (Filter)

So when speaking about their Live incarnation, Yes supergroup is applicable.

RidleyGriff
Apr 9, 2009, 07:34 PM
NIN. ....(yawn). OOooooo "Daaaark". :rolleyes: Hooray for melodramatic noodling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4

...NIN, just a band.

The only thing lamer than overzealous fans? People that think they're special for bashing overzealous fans.

I mean, ironic hipster detachment is neat and all, k'five, but the interactivity involved with this app could be a big deal. Will it? Who knows. But a tech-savvy artist -- with, more importantly, an EXTREMELY tech-savvy audience -- bringing out this kind of app has a lot of potential.

Heaven forbid Reznor/NIN try to push the envelope or business model of the record industry. I mean, they're just a band.

cloudnine
Apr 9, 2009, 07:39 PM
Sonically and lyrically The Fragile is more mature than any of his other work...without listening to The Fragile you can't quite make your first argument. While I agree his past few releases have left me a bit wanting (even if there are quite a few gems to be found), it doesn't mean he or this app isn't "relevant" - he is trying to be at the forefront of offering his fans a better way to interact:

Probably the best was he offered a bunch of his music up for remixing, and even placed a distribution tool for the remixes on his site.

This isn't huge news, but it's another forward step in what is possible for fans and artists to connect.

I appreciate that even with 6 albums, I somehow don't have the NIN education that you have because I don't have one album. *snore*

FAIL. TRY AGAIN.

ThunderSkunk
Apr 10, 2009, 12:55 AM
The only thing lamer than overzealous fans? People that think they're special for bashing overzealous fans.

I mean, ironic hipster detachment is neat and all, k'five, but the interactivity involved with this app could be a big deal. Will it? Who knows. But a tech-savvy artist -- with, more importantly, an EXTREMELY tech-savvy audience -- bringing out this kind of app has a lot of potential.

Heaven forbid Reznor/NIN try to push the envelope or business model of the record industry. I mean, they're just a band.

I agree completely. Oh no, don't get me wrong, all that extraneous stuff is great if you have nothing else going on in your own life that you can sit around and obsess about the minute goings-on of someone elses life. TR takes himself seriously, and of course his fans do as well, just as fans of the Stones obsessed about a million stories of Charlie Watt's dignified swings at his raunchier bandmates and Peter Grants rewrestling of the way labels handled bands, etc... and on and on and on...

But at the end of the day, it's still just pop music. He was not the first word in electronic music, he won't be the last, and in the mean time, he seems to have forgotten how to write music people actually want to sit down and listen to. Somehow, I just don't see the future generations of this earth looking back with the clarity of hindsight and with reverence, uttering "Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Reznor".

Idol worship directed at musicians just seems pretty lame once you're past about 13, considering how much amazing and truly revolutionary work is actually going on in real life these days.

All that said, I did the same thing with Pink Floyd when I was 13. Obsessed with the horrendous sounds of loosely orchestrated screeching machinery blasted at unsuspecting audiences in the late 60's while everyone was singing beach boys ditties. Pretty silly in retrospect tho.

...and that song is pretty clever, k'five.

pez13
Apr 12, 2009, 02:25 AM
I love nin but a app just about them seems pretty lame, I don't wanna talk to a fan in Uganda.

Knowlege Bomb
Apr 12, 2009, 06:59 AM
oh thats just great! why doesn't nickelback make an app too? it'll be just about as useful...

This is literally the dumbest comment you could have possibly posed. Aside from their first album, which I'd classify as dog food, Nickelback's music is pure garbage. I mean really. Listen to their lyrics.

Supergroup?, uhhhh , Yes a Supergroup,

While the main efforts/creations of NIN has been mainly solely been Attributed to Trent, take a look at the people whom he has collaborated with and brought in as the band to back him......

Robin Finck (GNR), Justin Meldal-Johnsen (Beck), Twiggy Ramirez (Manson), Charlie Clouser (freakin everyone), Josh Freese (Devo, A Perfect Circle) , Richard Patrick (Filter)

So when speaking about their Live incarnation, Yes supergroup is applicable.

Which is one of the many things that makes them so good. They're willing to work with such a broad spectrum of artists and those artists are willing to work with them. Some people complain about them not sounding the same and that's obviously attributed to collaboration with different people from different genres. Some people embrace change, others fear it. I, for one, am a fan of all of their music. And I'm not "angsty" or "emo" in any way.

Great point. If you don't like the band, move on. Yes, everybody is entitled to their opinion but what difference does it really make to the fans if you N' Sync or Rolling Stones fans don't like Trent Reznor's style?

in the mean time, he seems to have forgotten how to write music people actually want to sit down and listen to.

Disagree, as I'm sure many others will as well. Again, opinion.

Somehow, I just don't see the future generations of this earth looking back with the clarity of hindsight and with reverence, uttering "Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Reznor".

Horrible comparison. Is Trent Reznor a classical artist? Given he's extremely talented on the piano I still don't think this is a relevant argument.

All that said, I did the same thing with Pink Floyd when I was 13. Obsessed with the horrendous sounds of loosely orchestrated screeching machinery blasted at unsuspecting audiences in the late 60's while everyone was singing beach boys ditties.

You're not human. Pink Floyd is anything but what you labeled them above.

iPhoneNYC
Apr 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
Do we really care about NIN? Aren't we just publishing what some PR machine thinks we should get excited about? Some "band" from back when? I put "band" in quotes because isn't NIN just one guy who hires others for whatever commercial task is at hand? Anyway, I expect to see the NINs guy on the celebrity Apprentice soon or maybe showing his cool app to the Housewives of NY. By the way, I think it's great he has some app I just don't think we need to spend valuable pixels on it.

Koronis
Apr 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
NIN does things like this for the fans. For example, giving out the last album as a free download, free multi-tracks of the songs and a space to upload remixes, personalized presale tickets so that tickets go to fans instead of scalpers, 400GB of hi-definition video footage of their last 3 shows last year, etc.

The app isn't going to cost any money, and the point isn't to get non-fans exited, but to allow fans to chat on a mobile device, and make it easier than trying to view the NIN.com forums on a normal mobile browser, which doesn't look very good.

Knowlege Bomb
Apr 12, 2009, 10:01 AM
NIN does things like this for the fans. For example, giving out the last album as a free download, free multi-tracks of the songs and a space to upload remixes, personalized presale tickets so that tickets go to fans instead of scalpers, 400GB of hi-definition video footage of their last 3 shows last year, etc.

The app isn't going to cost any money, and the point isn't to get non-fans exited, but to allow fans to chat on a mobile device, and make it easier than trying to view the NIN.com forums on a normal mobile browser, which doesn't look very good.

Good to see another voice of reason.

ThunderSkunk
Apr 12, 2009, 01:32 PM
You're not human. Pink Floyd is anything but what you labeled them above.

Ok, for old times sake, I went and grabbed an old [non-copyrighted recording]. Get your headphones on for some middle-era Floyd.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f52a54096612944b5a3d773badf21430e04e75f6e8ebb871

and that's not even touching on The Man & The Journey "performances", or good god, early Syd Barrett creations.

Textures. Dynamics. Lots of noise. Noise everywhere. Then, beauty.

Knowlege Bomb
Apr 12, 2009, 01:45 PM
Textures. Dynamics. Lots of noise. Noise everywhere.

It's all got it's purpose. ;)

kas23
Apr 12, 2009, 04:32 PM
A big lolz at the posters who say Trent Reznor is no longer relevant in the world of music. In fact, he's is revolutionizing our access to artists' music as we speak. And this has absolutely nothing to do with the music he makes. Even if you hate his music and think it is garbage, he is a trailblazer of today's music.

First, for his album Year Zero, he was depositing flash drives with new songs on them in European bathrooms during his tour. Not only did these drives have new songs on them, they gave clues to for an Alternative Reality Game (ARG), such as names for websites hidden in code. Even tour t-shirts has codes hidden on them. This was very fun and a completely innovative way to market an album. Most artists just have the record company dump out an album and make posters. However, trent paid for this type of marketing with his very own money - because he cared about the album's listener experience. If he actually just scrapped the ARG, he likely would have made more profit.

Then, he began giving away the multitracks of his songs for free. This encourage amateur, everyday folk, the ability to remix his songs using Garage Band to make them however they wanted. No other artist today does this. Additionally, as someone has pointed out, he has given fans over 400GB of raw HD concert footage (for free), to make their own concert DVDs.

Next, he compiled a huge amount of evidence that greedy record companies are not needed. He successfully aided Saul Williams in selling his album, Niggy Tardust, over the net without a label. He then gave 2 albums away over the net. Ghosts was put out in many different quality versions; from mp3 to limited, autographed box sets for $350. This allowed all type of fans to enjoy his music, regardless of financial standing (something radiohead did not do). 2500 of them were made and they sold out within hours. You do the math to see how much he made just from the box sets alone. He then gave The Slip away for free, with the option of buying a hard copy (for a reasonable price) that had a DVD in it.

The new NIN App is just another innovation (of many) he has done over the last 5 years. Sure, I probably don't want to chat with some random fan in Uganda, but if we are sent other treats (wallpapers, songs, or videos), then sign me up.

kas23
Apr 12, 2009, 04:46 PM
Aren't we just publishing what some PR machine thinks we should get excited about?

How can you write this sentence, but then own an Apple product? Apple is totally about hype and marketing. Most of the products Apple sells are geared towards producing new revenue streams for them. Examples; you need to buy a Mac to produce iPhone apps, the iPhone only allows you to directly buy/DL music from iTunes and not alternative sources, the iPod industry is driving Apple's iTunes profits (in pretty much the same way razors drive razor blade sales), you can only use the new Shuffle with Apple-sold earphones, the new iTunes sells new music lessons through iTunes, you can only load Apps sold through iTunes onto your iPhone (just imagine if you could only load mp3s onto your iPod that are sold through iTunes only?), MobileMe (no explanation needed here), the list goes on...

So don't complain about people putting out hype/marketing machines when Apple is the very epitome of this business model.

ZiggyPastorius
Apr 12, 2009, 10:34 PM
So I'm noticing I didn't get referenced in this Macrumors story at all.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=681989

ThunderSkunk
Apr 13, 2009, 01:18 AM
So I'm noticing I didn't get referenced in this Macrumors story at all.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=681989

Whaddya want, a cookie?

ZiggyPastorius
Apr 13, 2009, 01:30 AM
Whaddya want, a cookie?

No, but if you haven't noticed, here on Macrumors, articles recognised by the site bots generally have some note about the people who bring them up attached, and in this case, I post a thread about this very topic with a link long before the site gets to it, and it just gets ignored. I don't really care all that much, I was just wondering why my thread couldn'tve been added to instead of a completely new one being opened.

Knowlege Bomb
Apr 13, 2009, 06:49 AM
No, but if you haven't noticed, here on Macrumors, articles recognised by the site bots generally have some note about the people who bring them up attached, and in this case, I post a thread about this very topic with a link long before the site gets to it, and it just gets ignored. I don't really care all that much, I was just wondering why my thread couldn'tve been added to instead of a completely new one being opened.

This was the one I saw when I opened MR. No offense.

RidleyGriff
Apr 15, 2009, 02:05 AM
FYI, this app is now in the app store under the name "NIN: Access".

Links to download it, and to the web component of the experience are here (http://www.nin.com).

The "Nearby" function essentially seems to be Twinkle. However, given that the user base is one with two very large shared interests -- the band and location -- it's rather fascinating. A lot can grow from here...