PDA

View Full Version : Sox owner's success driven by numbers

wdlove
Apr 19, 2004, 12:03 PM
FORREST CITY, Ark. -- Twenty-six years old, and left by his father's death to run the family farm here in the rich soil of the Arkansas Delta, John Henry penciled out his problem this way: 1,000 acres planted with soybeans, each producing 40 bushels, equaled 40,000 bushels of soybeans. What to do with all those soybeans?

Henry's pursuit of a solution led him to the commodity markets, where contracts for agricultural products are bought and sold, and sparked a fascination with price movements that ultimately transformed him from farmer to financier. In less than a decade, Henry, a college dropout, not only taught himself the risky business of commodity speculation, but in short order devised his still-working trading model; pioneered a type of investment called "managed futures"; and launched a firm that is among the most successful of its kind in the world.

In Boston, Henry is best known as owner of the Red Sox, an enterprise that he, like the Yawkeys before him, has so far been unable to lead to the pinnacle of the baseball profession. But in the investment industry, Henry, 54, is an established superstar, described by friends and colleagues in the business as a "genius," "visionary," and, most of all, "winner." In a game in which they really play for keeps, Henry has not only risen to the top, but stayed there through innovation, discipline, and an unconventional philosophy that makes money, as Henry wryly puts it, by "buying high and selling low."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/04/19/sox_owners_success_driven_by_numbers/

Koodauw
Apr 19, 2004, 01:18 PM
'
A proven winner'"He's a proven winner who has won at everything he's done," said John Damgard, president of the Futures Industry Association, a Washington-based industry group. "I would just say, 'Mr. Steinbrenner, watch out.'
"

First off I would like to say that I am not a fan of Mr. Henry.

Second he has yet to be the Big winner in Baseball. When he was the owner of the Marlins, he did next to nothing. (granted he wasn't there very long.)

As the Owner of the Bo Sox, he fired the GM which brought in the likes of Pedro, Lowe, Wakefield, Nomar, Manny, johnny damon, and others.

He is also quiet the hypocrite. It was perfectly ok for his team to take boost its payroll (by adding arod) to nearly that of the Yankees. But when the Yankees add A-rod, well they are the evil empire.

And finally, as to the fact that King George needs to watch out.... Well he can come talk to George if he gets ONE, and George will gladly show him his six WS rings

wdlove
Apr 19, 2004, 02:43 PM
That title of "Success by numbers" is very appropriate for the leadership of the Red Sox. So far almost everything they have done has been about increasing revenues. Boston still reins as the most expensive tickets in baseball.

Only the Summer and Fall will tell the true story of the Red Sox. This holiday weekend they are 3 0f 4 against the Yankees.

Counterfit
Apr 19, 2004, 02:53 PM
He is also quiet the hypocrite. It was perfectly ok for his team to take boost its payroll (by adding arod) to nearly that of the Yankees. But when the Yankees add A-rod, well they are the evil empire. The Yankees already were the Evil Empire :p

Gnusto
Apr 19, 2004, 03:26 PM
He is also quiet the hypocrite. It was perfectly ok for his team to take boost its payroll (by adding arod) to nearly that of the Yankees. But when the Yankees add A-rod, well they are the evil empire.

Well, the main difference was the fact that when the Red Sox were looking to add "A-Rod" they were going to have to drop one or more of their bigger stars to afford him. The Yankees on the other hand, just absorbed his $25 million a year salary without dumping anyone like Derek Jeter or others.

Baseball is a joke and will continue to be a joke as long as the team who spends the most does best. Sure NY didn't win it last year, but historically speaking they've been at least in something like 40% of all world series ever and have won close to 25% of all World Series ever. The only other team to come even close to them is St. Louis or some crap.

Koodauw
Apr 19, 2004, 05:04 PM
That title of "Success by numbers" is very appropriate for the leadership of the Red Sox.

I got one number for you..... 1918. ;)

I know your not the biggest sports fan wdlove, but thanks for the article. It it killed like 3 mins of my day.

Counterfit
Apr 19, 2004, 06:26 PM
I got one number for you..... 1918. ;) I have a few better numbers. 45, 24, 3, 29, 48, 33, 11, 18, 34, and of course, #5, NOMAH!

Oh and 2004, because if we don't get it this year, it might be another while :(

djbahdow01
Apr 19, 2004, 07:11 PM
As the Owner of the Bo Sox, he fired the GM which brought in the likes of Pedro, Lowe, Wakefield, Nomar, Manny, johnny damon, and others.

Yeah Duquette (shudders) might have brought those athletes in but in the long run, how many bad players has he brought in, Carl Everett, but also the blunders in not keeping certain high value players, ie Clemens. Look at what Theo has done to the organization, he brought in Foulke, Schilling, had A-Rod ready to come over, it was just a money issue that went wrong, David Ortiz, Bill Mueller, and Kevin Millar among others.

Henry is doing an excellent job with the Sox, they have brought in more seating although they do have the higest seat pricing in the Majors. Granted they haven't won the World Series since 1918, but then again the Yankees haven't won it in a few years.

Counterfit
Apr 19, 2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah Duquette Heh, I dislike(d) him so much, I blocked his name from my memory :D