Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mook

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Boston, MA
so i downloaded RA3 from gametreeonline a couple of days ago everything worked fine i was able to update and play online now when i open the game it says there is a new patch i need to play online. if i hit ok to downloaded the patch it goes back to the game launcher window and gets a launch error. when i click the get update button on the game launcher window it says there are no updates. Anyone else having this issue?

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Try to delete the game and reinstall it : it won't remove your save games or your settings... And reupdate it from zero, should be fine.

Unborn

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Same Issue

Hi Mook,
I'm also having the exact same issue as you. When it prompts for an update in order to get online I get a 'Failed to Load' error message!

Can anyone help out with this please?

The Mook

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Boston, MA
Deleted with appzapper and the same problem happened. is EA still responsible for updating the mac version even though it was made thru cider or does transgaming take that over and convert EA's windows patch? on the ea site there is no support area for the mac version of red alert 3. is it just gonna take some time for transgaming to convert the patch if thats the issue? anyone have any knowledge on this. does anyone have the mac version and is able to play online right now?

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Deleted with appzapper and the same problem happened. is EA still responsible for updating the mac version even though it was made thru cider or does transgaming take that over and convert EA's windows patch? on the ea site there is no support area for the mac version of red alert 3. is it just gonna take some time for transgaming to convert the patch if thats the issue? anyone have any knowledge on this. does anyone have the mac version and is able to play online right now?

Same issue. I assume they have to convert the patch to an .app file that will inject the patch into the cider wrapper.

What is lame is that this should take 30 minutes to code, tops. They are using the SAME PATCH as the Windows version and just wrapping that (I assume, I'm no coder).

Hopefully they have it out in the next day or two.

puremenace

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Same Here

Yeah, its a bit lame... EA don't seem to be taking responsibility for any of their mac titles, considering they're a HUGE player in mac games, not to mention the App Store on iTunes!

They should have a mac team who works closely with Cider to rectify issues like this, and probably do... but the support site is useless to mac users. It's like its still 1995! Pull your finger out EA!

The Mook

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Boston, MA
they have the update now for anyone whos still waiting for it. got a response from gametreeonline that it was coming they delivered. just not in a timely fashion

nalsen

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
they have the update now for anyone whos still waiting for it. got a response from gametreeonline that it was coming they delivered. just not in a timely fashion

Hey Mook, I've been having the same problem where launching the game gives me a "Launch Failed" prompt. Do you think I could get that update off you?

Unborn

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Next Problem!

Ok so the update now works thanks to Gametree.

I usually get about 2-3 mins into a game before it freezes on me! I have to manually turn off the computer and restart each time. This happens every game! Anyone else having the same problem?

Unborn

bemcho

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
May be same problem??

Hi all I just bought RA3 yesterday (10.04.2009) and when i try to start it for the first time, i get launch error and the reason is that i don't have internet connection (it claims that i don't have connection to the internet), but i have (this happens when trying to validate the activation code) just before the very first game launch.I have all patches.
Can anybody help ?
Thanks

The Mook

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Boston, MA
i didnt think being online mattered when activating with cd key. Try reinstalling it again. or try starting it up for the first time at some place with an internet connection.

sttriber

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009

Hey Mook, How did you get the update to work. I didn't download the game from gametreeonline I bought it and had it shipped from Apple. What can I do to play online with the new patch seems like they still don't have the patch at EA for mac users. I tried re-installing same problem no result.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
The Mac version patch is available when you hit the "Check for Updates" button in the launcher app. The ingame update is apparently Windows only.

sttriber

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
The Mac version patch is available when you hit the "Check for Updates" button in the launcher app. The ingame update is apparently Windows only.

Well I found out what was wrong I re-installed it two times and now the update section works so im pretty thrilled. Went online and works fine and dandy now.

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
日本
Well I found out what was wrong I re-installed it two times and now the update section works so im pretty thrilled. Went online and works fine and dandy now.

Ummm, ok. So the solution is what? Re-install it twice? That's not logical...
BTW my update button works just fine. But the update itself is flawed and has broken RA3 for me.

I'm getting the same launch error as the rest of you.
Sometimes it happens when trying to start the game. Other times it occurs when I try to load a saved game. Well, I can't load my saved game and I'm near the end of the Allied campaign, so I guess I'm f***ed unless EA support gets back to me with a solution.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I think I solved the problem with the updates not installing: I found out that the initial installation zapped 12GB of RAM... I dunno how, but I purged the RAM and tried again. It worked.

The game is incredibly slow on mac graphics settings, and I have a graphics card that is way above the pre 2009 requirements! Not to mention 12GB FREE RAM (16GB total RAM). Clearly EA giving us the middle finger here. Still... good as a classic, but now I find myself going back to Starcraft II if not for my son clamouring for Red Alert. Oh, and the Red Alert solo campaign videos and story are what keep me going :3 Who's distracted now? XD

djejnyc

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Hmm, I just bought the game, downloaded fine, installed fine, updated fine. But then after the splash screen when you press play it thinks for awhile and then says "launch Failed, launch error" any ideas? I'm using a PC video card, maybe that's the issue?
Mac Pro 10.7.4
ATI 5870
12G ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.