Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brosmooth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
alright, so last week was spring break for me and i left my macbook at home, didnt figure i would need it while on the beach... So when my macbook was at home it was completely off, not asleep, off and unpluged, didnt think it needed to be charged and wasting electricity. So when i get home, open it up, everything seemed fine, but then i passed a page on the web that was all black and noticed a funny shaped spot in the middle of the screen that doesnt display blacks correctly - it looks like a burn in but its an odd shape.. and its only on the blacks when its visible, i cant see it at all on any color. If you look at the pixels themselves upclose the middle is more grey and the outside is black... so im curious has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I tried running a burn in/stuck pixel pixer thing for about an hour and it didnt help at all, so im pretty curious as to what caused this. I got my macbook a few days b4 christmas so idk where that comes into replacing it or reparing it or w.e... anyone have an idea, ive started calling it a virus for fun that only likes to show up in the dark.... humor helps, oh and i bought it at best buy, the closest apple store is 2 hours away in Indy :rolleyes:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Is the grey splotch in the shape of an apple?

It could be light coming in through the apple logo. I know when the panel is off, I can vaguely see the outline.

brosmooth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009

It could be light coming in through the apple logo. I know when the panel is off, I can vaguely see the outline.

no, but i never thought of that. Ive never seen it b4 and its pretty noticeable, idk if i could get a pic of it or not... ill try

Edit* nope... kinda hard to take a pic of a black screen...

fireman13

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Florida Panhandle

If your computer is anywhere near a window or light source where light can come through then what newmacbookplz said is definetly correct. My MacBook sits in front of a window and what you discribed is what I see when the panel is turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.