Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
Hi, just got a couple of questions regarding vista and boot camp..Im using vista 32 bit ultimate...

1) Could anyone reccomend a free, lightweight, reliable antivirus?

2) In system preferences on mac you can go to start up disk and then click the windows partition and restart to restart into windows (or hold option). My question is, is there anyway to do this in Vista?

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
2) You can right click on the boot camp icon in the taskbar/system tray next to the clock.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
If your interested, with a copy of VMware Fusion you get a year long subscription to McAfee for free. Well worth if you use your bootcamp partition in parallel.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
1) AVG is perfect forbasic antivirus :)

2) on XP i go into the Control Panel -> Startup Disk then choose the disk.. i dont know if it works the same on Vista..

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
1) AVG free.avg.com

2) there is a diamond shaped Boot Camp icon in the notification area of the taskbar. click it and select "Restart into Mac OS X". also there is a Startup Disk pane in Control Panel.

EDIT: hello DoFy :)

HazRutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
England
I dont have this icon? Could anyone help? I dont even have this thing in control panel? Help?

Thanks for telling me about AvG also!

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
If you have installed the boot camp drivers you should be able to run this file: C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\KbdMgr.exe which will give you the icon in the system tray/taskbar.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Use Avira Antivir. It's better than AVG, other than the pop-up everyday when you update the virus definition file which can be disabled.

sosaysiburke

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
its a hole lot easier if you just run the install as administrator because then you can customize your trackpad and little **** like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.