Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jersey10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
My iMac is connected to 2 external hard drives - (i) a 500GB drive holding all my iTunes stuff, including a couple hundred ripped movies, along with all my music, etc.; plus (ii) a 1 TB drive for Time Machine backup purposes.

This morning, the 500GB drive holding all my iTunes stuff apparently failed (it is completely non-responsive, though I do hear some sound within it). This possibility, of course, is why I have everything backed up on the 1 TB drive through Time Machine.

I've never done a restore from Time Machine before, though, so I was hoping someone could walk me through the steps (including I guess making sure that all the iTunes stuff backed up onto the 1 TB drive is put onto a new 500GB external drive, with the 1 TB drive continuing to be used for backup purposes). I don't want to mess anything up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
get a new drive, and format/partition it for your mac. then set up that drive for your itunes library. then, on your desktop, click on the time machine icon on the top menu, then click "enter time machine". a window that looks much like the finder window will open. navigate back the folder in that window where you'll find your itunes library, then click "restore". It will basically "pull" that backup out of there and into the new location

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.