PDA

View Full Version : Transferring to iBook under 10.4

JPS
Apr 8, 2009, 09:20 AM
My daughter wants to transfer the contents of a much older laptop (I'd guess a G4) to a slightly less-older iBook, both, of course using a 10.4. system. Since Migration Assistant is a 10.5. feature, I believe, how best to do this under that older system?

spinnerlys
Apr 8, 2009, 12:51 PM
Connect both via a FireWire 400 cable and use Target Disk Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661) (TDM) to use one iBook as an external drive.

The best way would be to start the old iBook as a normal computer and the new iBook in TDM.

Then use CarbonCopyCloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) (CCC) to clone the old iBook drive's content to the newer iBook, or just the things you want.

After that the newer iBook is bootable and just looks like your the older iBook.

But one thing to consider is both iBooks might use different drivers for maybe differing parts.
The old one has maybe an older ATI 16 MB graphics card, while the newer one has 32 MB, and so on...

JPS
Apr 8, 2009, 02:23 PM
Many thanks!

DannySmurf
Apr 9, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'd say don't try to just clone the drive and boot from it. If the models are (chronologically) far apart, it's possible you'll run into issues that way, particularly if OSX on the older machine was installed from the machine's OEM disk, rather than a retail copy of Tiger.

Best thing is usually to install clean on the new machine, and then transfer your stuff over during install, when prompted (using target disk mode on the older machine, as described).

OrangeSVTguy
Apr 9, 2009, 08:23 PM
Migration Assistant was in Tiger 10.4 too! Do a fresh install of Tiger on the new"er" iBook. After the installation is complete, go through the onscreen setup as promted and when you get to the Migration Assistant screen, hook both the new"er" and old iBooks together with a Firewire 400 cable(can be bought at a dollar store). Start the older iBook and hold down the T key to boot it into Target Disk Mode.

You can then select "Migrate from another Mac" option and then select your old iBook. It will then copy all your old data and settings and apply them to the new"er" iBook. Let us know if you need any other help and how the process went.