PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 will not boot

SkyBell
Apr 8, 2009, 11:29 PM
I've been putting this off for a while for some reason, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I like to boot up my 233 MHz iMac G3 and write some music in a program I have installed on it, which I usually do every few weeks.

The last time I tried, which was a few weeks ago, it wouldn't do it. No power light on the front, no fan spinning up, nothing. But, I did notice a faint sound, sort of like a hissing noise coming from inside the computer.

To me, this sounds like a blown capacitor, though I didn't know these machines were susceptable to that. But I'm no expert by far, and I would like to know what could be wrong with it, and what I could do, if anything to fix it.

Thank you!

OrangeSVTguy
Apr 9, 2009, 08:28 PM
Could very well be the power supply. Time to retire the old thing or just pick up a faster iMac G3 for around $25 on craigslist :p.

raziel777
Apr 9, 2009, 08:33 PM
Try unplugging it overnight. Worth a shot.

SkyBell
Apr 10, 2009, 11:01 PM
Could very well be the power supply. Time to retire the old thing or just pick up a faster iMac G3 for around $25 on craigslist :p.

Eh, maybe if I have some spare cash sitting around. I was planning to get it running OS 9 at some point, but I guess those plans are on hold for now.

donaldl43
Apr 11, 2009, 12:58 AM
I just upgraded a G3 Tray Loader to OS X 10.3.9. A week ago I new very little about Macs and now I know a lot more about the G3. The thread that discusses it is here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=682549). :D

Forgot to add that I bought it for $5 on Ebay.