Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
it appears from the rumors and actual product upgrade today, that the powerbook is in its last g4 chip incarnation...but the ibook will likely stay g4 for a long time to come

the price differential between a 14" inch 1.2 ghz g4 ibook and an entry level powerbook is not that much and macworld gives the entry level powerbook four and a half mice in the latest issue...so it's a proven product

but wouldn't it be terrible to buy a g4 powered powerbook this month only to have it superceded by a g5 powerbook, at the same price, in the fall for the back to school crowd?

when i got my 300 mhz ibook with 32 mb of ram and a 3 gig hard drive late in 1999, it was superceded by a newer ibook with 64 mb of ram with twice the upper capacity for ram storage (320 mb vs 160 mb in my model) and a 6 gig hard drive for the same price two months later...i was seriously bummed

i don't want to make the same mistake twice with timing...especially since the next powerbook upgrade is likely to be the g5 chip

there are always gaps in time when a product basically stays the same for a relatively long time (ie...g4 500 mhz tower) and there are times when there is a major changeover and much better value a couple or three months down the line

it's kind of like the stock market...nobody really knows for sure and if they do, they can't say anything...well anyway, one day, sooner than we think, there will be a sub $800 dollar emac sporting a g5 chip ;)

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I would buy.

I would be suprised if the PBG5 came out in time for back to school, and you would also have to deal with a version 1 notebook. If it follows suit, it'll have a new form factor (and we all know what can become of that), a massive processor and would have to find room for more RAM with the ever growing software requirements (2 gigs for some pro apps). It's also possable that the G5 will have to have a high definition capable LCD for apps like FCPHD and the new sfx apps. Apple is going to have a hard time cramming all that into a reliable notebook, espcially in their first revision. If you are going to hold out for a PBG5, it would be wise to wait until the bugs have been ironed out (a year from now?)

Happy insomnia!

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Powerbook g5s in 2010. Buy it now! I don't meen soon, go to the apple site and place the order the instant you read this. NOWNOWNOW

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
jimsowden said:
Powerbook g5s in 2010. Buy it now! I don't meen soon, go to the apple site and place the order the instant you read this. NOWNOWNOW

i was hoping 2005 at the latest ;)

but it would be nice to be at the point to have g5 powerbook and first revision past that only one year from now

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I am gonna buy now... but im gonna get a iBook cuz its my first mac ever so... lol

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
jefhatfield said:
it appears from the rumors and actual product upgrade today, that the powerbook is in its last g4 chip incarnation...but the ibook will likely stay g4 for a long time to come

the price differential between a 14" inch 1.2 ghz g4 ibook and an entry level powerbook is not that much and macworld gives the entry level powerbook four and a half mice in the latest issue...so it's a proven product

but wouldn't it be terrible to buy a g4 powered powerbook this month only to have it superceded by a g5 powerbook, at the same price, in the fall for the back to school crowd?

when i got my 300 mhz ibook with 32 mb of ram and a 3 gig hard drive late in 1999, it was superceded by a newer ibook with 64 mb of ram with twice the upper capacity for ram storage (320 mb vs 160 mb in my model) and a 6 gig hard drive for the same price two months later...i was seriously bummed

i don't want to make the same mistake twice with timing...especially since the next powerbook upgrade is likely to be the g5 chip

there are always gaps in time when a product basically stays the same for a relatively long time (ie...g4 500 mhz tower) and there are times when there is a major changeover and much better value a couple or three months down the line

it's kind of like the stock market...nobody really knows for sure and if they do, they can't say anything...well anyway, one day, sooner than we think, there will be a sub $800 dollar emac sporting a g5 chip ;)

Buy now, it will be a LONG time before the PowerBook G5's are here... Not this year...

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
off topic, but...

The FUTURE CEO of Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky, OH

that place is friggin awsome!!! i went last year to ride the dragster... ill be
going back this year as well!!!

DID I SAY AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
jefhatfield said:
and you know that for sure? ;)

Yeah, what he said :rolleyes:

Well I think the existign sub G5s will appear in the new G5iMac due out WWDC, maybe Paris at latest.

I now suspect no G5PB this year is going to be right.

I am a little wary of the idea of a liquid cooled Rev A laptop as well, if that indeed is what they end up doing.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
If you need a new notebook in the near term, buy it. The newest PBs come with some good upgrades including 20-25% faster processors (depending on which model you are looking at), better video cards, and 4x SD. I have no complaints with my PB's performance, and the new ones are significantly better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.