Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
My airport extreme was acting up (loading pages reaaaaaaaaaly slow compared to just plugging in ethernet) so today I set it all up again. It worked great for a couple hours, then the speed dropped to below that of a phone modem. The Macrumors frontpage took about a minute and a half to finish. My applecare is up, so if I call Apple and it turns out I'm messing something up... it'll cost me 50 bucks. Has this happened to anybody else, is this fixable or is it a hardware issue with the APX?

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Just troubleshot and I'm positive it's the Base station.

a) My card works on my friends WiFi network nice and fast.
b) built in Ethernet is really fast.
c) wireless reception is all the bars, speed it unexcuasable.

Is there any way it's not hardware? :confused: I'm putting my fifty bucks on your opinion. thanks to anyone who responds.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I haven't a clue as to why it's slow, but I've found that resetting the basestation (and cable modem if you have one) is the usual quick remedy. have you tried unplugging the base station, letting it sit for 30secs and then plug it in again? Also it has a little reset button you can push in... with a paperclip. hold the button down for 5secs. Good luck...sorry can't offer more than that.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
go to airport admin utility, find your base station, in the settings panel thats come up go to internet options, and make sure the WAN ethernet speed is set to auto, and if it is already, try setting it too 100 mbps/ full duplex. that's the fastest setting fo the base stations WAN port, and should free up some data squeezing room in that cable. (i assume you're on cable/dsl). If that doesn't bring it up to speed, bring it to a local apple store, don't send it away to apple. the people at apple aren't really as user-friendly as their machines, (or at least by my experience), but the people at apple stores aren't employees of apple directly (I think...) and many have experienced the same problems and stuff so they are always cool to me. (this is not to say they won't charge you, if the base station was still under applecare I'd send it straight to cupertino.) :p hope all that helps! good luck!

edit: holy crap! you responded AS I was typing this!

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
switchedanhappy said:
...If that doesn't bring it up to speed, bring it to a local apple store, don't send it away to apple. the people at apple aren't really as user-friendly as their machines, (or at least by my experience), but the people at apple stores aren't employees of apple directly (I think...) and many have experienced the same problems and stuff so they are always cool to me. (this is not to say they won't charge you, if the base station was still under applecare I'd send it straight to cupertino.) :p hope all that helps! good luck!

I wish the closest apple store wasn't in Milwaukee (about 110 miles away), it's kinda hard to get there and back between work and school.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
damn that sux0rs to the max. (I'm making fun of people who talk like that, I don't) there might be an apple authorized reseller nearby, which would be probably just as good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.