Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdayuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
I have never used automator before but I think it will come in useful in my situation.

I am on a macbookwhich has a 120GB HDD. I have a libary of music that is 150GB so I have to store it on an external hard drive. I dont really want to lug the external HDD around with me so I need an automator action to do this:

When I plug the external hard drive in, the itunes playlist changes to 'exernal' displaying my full libary which is stored on the external hard drive.

It then transfers say 10 albums onto the MacBooks hard drive so I have some music to take around with me.

When I unplug the hard drive I want the libary to change back to 'internal' which will display only the 10 albums just transferrred.

Whenever the HDD is plugged in it should repeat the process, deleteing the last 10 albums and replacing them with new ones.

Like I said I have never used automator before so I do not know how hard this would be?

Be very useful though so if anyone can help please do.

Thanks,
Jack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.