PDA

View Full Version : Joswiak: no PB G5 anytime soon

Ambrose Chapel
Apr 19, 2004, 08:34 PM
Mr Joswiak refused to be drawn on when the next generation of notebooks, using the PowerPC G5 processor, would be released.

The Power Mac G5 desktop was launched in June 2003. But Apple engineers are working on reducing the heat generated by the chip before it can be incorporated into notebooks.

"In the very long run, the G5 is part of our long term processor roadmap, but it will be some time before that processor will be in a notebook," said Mr Joswiak.

He declined to be pinned down to a date for G5 portables, but pointed out that it had taken at least two years for the G4 chip to make it from the desktop to the notebook.

sigh (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3639825.stm)

iBunny
Apr 19, 2004, 08:36 PM
I called apple today to ask how long a custom ibook would take to ship to me (cuz im in the Marines and move alot) and when i inquired about a G5 Powerbook, the guy said not this year...

take it for what its worth....

Lancetx
Apr 19, 2004, 08:57 PM
Well all indications have been pointing to MWSF 2005 at the earliest anyway, maybe even WWDC 2005 at this rate.

PlaceofDis
Apr 19, 2004, 09:27 PM
its no surprise really. i mean the current PMs have what nine fans? and to put that into a powerbook case would just fry the poor thing.....either IBM has to produce chips that produce less heat or liquid cooling or some other new technology is going to be needed in order to allow the G5 in PBs

Bear
Apr 19, 2004, 09:34 PM
I am not surprised at the news. Or why I ordered a new PB first thing this morning.

ZildjianKX
Apr 19, 2004, 09:51 PM
Jeez, I sure as heck don't want a Powerbook G5, I want a Powerbook G5-mobile. I want a processor that is as strong as the G5, but designed from the ground up for mobility. It's about time Apple used a true mobility processor.

If IBM would spend half as much time as intel did on R&D on the Pentium-M... (and yes, we all know it is based on the P4 architecture)

patrick0brien
Apr 20, 2004, 02:10 AM
Jeez, I sure as heck don't want a Powerbook G5, I want a Powerbook G5-mobile. I want a processor that is as strong as the G5, but designed from the ground up for mobility. It's about time Apple used a true mobility processor.

If IBM would spend half as much time as intel did on R&D on the Pentium-M... (and yes, we all know it is based on the P4 architecture)

-ZildjianKX

Actually, the Pentium-M, the processor in the Centrino type notebooks is based on the Pentium-III, which is why it gets the same performance out of less clock speed. I tip my hat to Intel for proving AMD and Apple's "Megahertz Myth" true to Joe Public.

ZildjianKX
Apr 20, 2004, 02:27 AM
-ZildjianKX

Actually, the Pentium-M, the processor in the Centrino type notebooks is based on the Pentium-III, which is why it gets the same performance out of less clock speed. I tip my hat to Intel for proving AMD and Apple's "Megahertz Myth" true to Joe Public.

Yes, you're right. I always confuse it since the Pentium-M has the same pin layout as the P4... well, except for 1 pin that keeps it from being able to plug into a P4 motherboard.