Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Hi there,

I'm personally a big fan of fullscreen browsing @ iPhone. But any app I've tested utilizes this scary "shake to get to the functions" thing. Every time I shook my iPhone in the subway, I've got the full attention of everyone around me... Maybe thinking "hehe ****** iPhone - not working?? :D"

So I've developed a new way of fullscreen browsing for the iPhone. But I've got the flow... implemented a new way of handling bookmarks on a mobile device even with those cute little favicons...

But if you interested check it out on your own:

AppStore direct link: fgBrowser

fgBrowser screenshots:

check out my blog for more information and my other new private browser:

myBlog

have a nice iPhone-shake-free-day :)

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
2.0 update

hey!

there is an update for 2.0 already available @*appstore.

new in this version:

- better visible loading indicator
- full edit function for bookmark and history entries
- bookmark scrolling improved
- better readability of bookmarks
- even smaller memory footprint (safari eats a lot. fgBrowser won't)

if you are tested some other fullscreen browsers, I will asure you... fgBrowser thinks different... :)

here are some user opinions (copied from the us iTunes Store)

USER OPINIONS

"I tested all of the fullscreen browser, and I thought this one was the best. Simple Interface, fast operation, and responsive developer. I'm sticking with this one."

"Truly a groundbreaking browser! Great features"

"This has everything I've been looking for in a fullscreen browser! TRULY FULLSCREEN!! No stupid icon to click on to bring up the URL field. Very intuitive gesture commands, Accelerometer disable option!"

thank you all who've supported me. I'm not really a big company, but I'm a big fan of my iPhone and a big fan of real satisfying fullscreen browsing.

nice greets :)

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Are you able to have multiple pages open? If not will this be possible in future updates?

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
in the current release... No.

A primary goal of fgBrowser is to keep simple and fast. If I look over to the mobile safari. Many many links open in a new tab. In the first place this is awesome. But after 8 "tabs" you get the message, that you may close other tabs before you are able to click the link you originally wanted to open.
So you have to: open the tab window, close all other pages (7 times a click on the x) and after all return to your original site, and click the link again.

As memory (that every app uses at runtime) is very limited, it's not really wise to cache all open tabs, for a quick reopening.
The effect will be, a decrease of overall performance. If safari gets short on memory, it clears all the cached data for the other tabs.

Safari is also one of those programs on the iPhone, which is allowed to keep running in background. So imagen you got 8 "windows" open in safari. As long as safari is able to, they will kept in memory. This memory is missing for other apps, especially for intensive 3D games.

My approach is different. I'm working on a cache websites feature not in the runtime memory but rather to do it in a local stored database. The advantage will be you may surf to your visited pages, without any wireless connection. And the built in back and forth swipe navigation gets faster.

I'm also thinking of the ability to split the screen up in two parts... There will be some interesting features in the future...

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
2.5 update

Hey there,

I'm happy to announce my 2.5 (iTunes link) update featuring:

NEW: fgBrowser gets a configuration panel under general preferences with following settings:

enable / disable Scroll-To-Top feature (tap on the top scrolls to the top of the page)
enable / disable Scroll-To-Bottom feature (tap on the bottom scrolls to the bottom of the page)
force language of google search (Upon request from Hong Kong)
enable / disable "remember last orientation" --> this feature allows you to use fgBrowser as a landscape browser. With this option enabled fgBrowser remembers your last orientation and the autorotation state. After starting fgBrowser a short flashing lock/unlock icon informs you about the current autorotation state (enabled = open lock or disabled = closed lock). (Upon request from Japan. They like to browse always in landscape mode)

Bugfix: Javascript caused new window links will now also open.

more infos: http://matthiasgasser.blogspot.com

iTunes Link

applies to any program but very convenient to save images in fgBrowser:

saving pictures -> double tap on the image to zoom in and press "sleep/wake button" and home button together. You will see a short white flashing of the screen, and your image will be saved under the camera roll (works in every fgBrowser version)

vinay427

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
saving pictures -> double tap on the image to zoom in and press "sleep/wake button" and home button together. You will see a short white flashing of the screen, and your image will be saved under the camera roll (works in every fgBrowser version)

That's smart! ;) You utilize the screenshot function and because the browser is full screen there are no buttons on the top and bottom in the picture.

Scheizekopf

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
I just updated to iphone 3.0 last night.

Now fgbrowser isnt working the same.

It's barely working at all. (I'm on a desktop now)
Any button I click doesnt do anything. Just blinks it for a second then nothing.
1 time I got the message pop up like I wanted to open or save the link. But cant get that to work again.

Wont let me click on any text areas to pull up the keyboard either. :(

PLEASE HELP!

I love fgbrowser and dont want to go back to safari. :apple:

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Hi Scheizekopf,

fgBrowser should work fine also with 3.0. There are a few options you may try. First power down your iPhone and try start fgBrowser again.
If this leds to nothing, you got 2 options, I've submitted a new release 2.6 already 2 weeks ago to the AppStore, hope for approval soon. I think the whole process is a bit delayed because of the past WWDC.
The other option (might work, might not work) is to erase fgBrowser completely and reinstall it again. (J4I you dont have to pay again, the redownload will be free)

If things do not work out for you, please contact me under fgBrowser@gmail.com - We surely find a solution for this issue.

At this point I have to say and I will publish this on my blog too:
Thank you for supporting fgBrowser! I've got plenty mails from people all over the world, thanking me for this multitouch browser.

Unfortunately Apples SDK and approval processes are against me. They got several flaws which I have to find workarounds for it, to make an easer and faster and nicer to use webbrowser for the iPhone. I dream of the day when I touch a link in the mail app and fgBrowser opens. I'm currently in touch with the apple developer stuff to bring new features like AutoFill; Image Saving and many many (History Autocompletion -> search...) more to you! I don't give up, even if the way will be a very rocky one.

Hope 2.6 will be released soon. Until then, if there are any issues / comments about fgBrowser just write me fgBrowser@gmail.com

best regards,
matthias

Scheizekopf

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
I restarted, nothing.
I deleted and re-installed. Works for the first click when I get into fgbrowser but after that it stops responding to anything I click except for word links.

No buttons work. :-/

I emailed you.

Scheizekopf

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
After re-installing it there isn't anything saved.

I can't even login to a forum just to view it. :(

It allows me to do ONE thing then stops working.
So I could check the box (remember me on forums) but then cant type my username in.

Or I typed in user name and password then couldnt check the box and the login button doesnt work either time.

I did try to hit the login button first one time and it worked but of course I didnt have a username/pass typed in so it didnt work anyways.

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Hello.

I don't know if this is possible but can you have safari play an http stream in the background while I use this browser?

For example, my NPR station now has a mp3 stream that allows me to play it in safari which will allow me to go out and check my mail and open other apps. What I can't do is open another page in safari to surf the web. So I was thinking if I get another browser like yours I can just open that and have the http stream keep playing.
I've tried it with another free browser but it didn't work. So i was wondering if it just a programming thing our if Apple doesn't allow it.

Thanks.

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Hello.

I don't know if this is possible but can you have safari play an http stream in the background while I use this browser?

For example, my NPR station now has a mp3 stream that allows me to play it in safari which will allow me to go out and check my mail and open other apps. What I can't do is open another page in safari to surf the web. So I was thinking if I get another browser like yours I can just open that and have the http stream keep playing.
I've tried it with another free browser but it didn't work. So i was wondering if it just a programming thing our if Apple doesn't allow it.

Thanks.

I'll try and maybe implement such an feature (if it's possible. Apple is kinda restrictive in many ways...

So I hope apple will release my update soon :(

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Update 4.0

Hey there trusty fgBrowsers and even new ones!!!

I'm happy to announce, the private version of Multitouch is now a universal app for the iPhone and iPad!
Also delivering with "High Res" Artwork for the iPhone4!!!!

The normal version is also updated with "High Res" + new loading indicator now available on the AppStore.

see my blog for more details:
http://matthiasgasser.blogspot.com/

tks!

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
[update] 4.2

fgBrowser makes a big leap forward introducing one finger gestures!

gestureguide.png

and a completely new "Tools" section with social network integration, bug me not, instant translate, air print, wikipedia, search in site, similar sites....

IMG_2007.PNG

Also a big feature: Change your User Agent! Act as you're surfing on your desktop, just set the user agent setting (@*general settings / Multitouch) to "Desktop Safari" or if you want to be nasty, you could opt for the Internet explorer. Also other mobile browser agents are available like android or nokia!

iTunes Link

wish a nice x-mas everyone :)

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
This browser shows a lot of promise. That being said, one critical feature that is a must have on a browser is the ability to import bookmarks. Most people have used other browsers and have accumulated favorites which I am sure they don't want to have to re-input. I personally have dozens of favorites used in Safari and other iOS browsers. I would like to be able to bring all of those favorites and folders into the Multitouch Browser.

Do you have any plans for implementing this?

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I also have noticed that navigating to the MacRumors site causes problems for fgBrowser. When you attempt to navigate the mobile site at MacRumors, you are thown into Safari when attempting to select a tab. For example I go to the main MacRumors site. I attempt to go to the mobile forums by clicking the tab. When the tab is clicked, Safari is opened and navigates to the forum page.

Can this be corrected? I haven't tried switching the UserAgent to desktop but the browser should be able to handle mobile sites.

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Thx for your feedback!

I plan to utilize some sort of online bookmark service (like delicious) to sync the bookmarks on an easy way....

However you may use the fgbrowser safari bookmarklet to import the important ones right now... (I'll post a detailed description lateron)

The switching to safari bug is kinda new to me. I'll fix asap, please bear with me... This one got introduced with the working app store referal links, but I obviously missed the non AppStore reverals.
Sorry about that!

Thank you again for your feedback!

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I've submitted a fixed version right now, please be patient. App Links and mobile pages should work with the 4.2.1 release! Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

1.) Launch Mobile Safari (on your iPhone)
2.) Surf to "google.com" and make a new bookmark of google.com
3.) Go to your bookmarks, touch "edit" and touch on your newly created google.com bookmark
4.) This will bring up the edit screen. Put there "multitouch" as a title (this text is up to you)
5.) The very important part:
In the URL field type or copy paste in exactly the next bold line

javascript:window.location='fgBrowser:///open?'+escape(window.location)

6) return to the bookmark screen
7) From now on, if you like to send an safari bookmark to fgBrowser, just surf to the site with safari, bring up the bookmark screen, and tap on "multitouch"
8) This will close safari and brings up multitouch - fgBrowser. If everything went OK you should see a short flashing "+ bookmark added" sign
9) The bookmark will be added to the "Date" Pane. To make it a "real" (bold) favorite you may do so with the "TOOLS" gesture (2 finger swipe down or one finger bottom tilted up slide) (However I'll consider making it a real favorite by having 4.2.2 :) )

Thanks for any feedback!

Wish u all a peaceful x-mas :)

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Sold! I had honestly never heard of this browser before, but love the concept! Downloading and installing now! :)

woddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
The 4.2.1 release is available! Fixes the safari switch issue and the AppStore linking!

ITunes Link

Thx for your feedback!
Merry x-mas :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.