Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Just received the following from MobileMe via email.

Dear MobileMe member:

On July 7, 2009, the .Mac HomePage web application will be discontinued. As of this date, you will no longer be able to create new pages or edit existing pages using HomePage. Any pages you've already published will remain live at their current web address for as long as you like. If you need to make changes to your existing pages, please do so before July 7.

Instead of HomePage, we recommend the other sharing features of your MobileMe membership. With MobileMe Gallery, you can share photos online directly from iPhoto or the web application at http://www.me.com. And using iWeb on your Mac, you can create custom websites and blogs and publish them to MobileMe.

We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause. For more information, please read this FAQ. And thank you for being a MobileMe member.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I'm unclear here. Does this mean that no new pages created with HomePage will be allowed after July 7, or simply no new pages created after July 7 will be allowed. I guess I'm really unsure what HomePage is (it's something I've never used, obviously).

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm unclear here. Does this mean that no new pages created with HomePage will be allowed after July 7, or simply no new pages created after July 7 will be allowed. I guess I'm really unsure what HomePage is (it's something I've never used, obviously).

I guess pages created through iWeb? Right? Anyone......

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I guess pages created through iWeb? Right? Anyone......

I hope this is correct. If this email means that I won't be able to create any new webpages to host on my .Mac account, this will take away one of the big reasons I renew my subscription year after year.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I hope this is correct. If this email means that I won't be able to create any new webpages to host on my .Mac account, this will take away one of the big reasons I renew my subscription year after year.

They way I read this is that you will not be able to use iWeb to create WebSite and host it with your .Mac account.:(

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
posted in a similar thread - I got confused. :)

From what I have read and seen (I never used Homepage, but I have access to it since I signed up 2 days before the MM conversion), I think people are confusing Homepage with the regular web hosting provided by MM (web.mobileme.com/your-name).

Homepage appears to be pretty much a web version of iWeb - canned themes/pages that you can use to build a site from the web browser instead of using iWeb.

With web.mobileme.com you can use iWeb or any other html generator (including a plain text editor if you're old-school).

Your /web directory takes the place of /sites (in the root of your iDisk, I do NOT mean /web/sites that iWeb will create/use). You can use it to share files via http, just like any other web server (or you can use the new file sharing feature in iDisk that is independent of the /web directory).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.