Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I like this guy. He should have spent a percentage of that hard-earned cash on a better haircut before getting his likeness die cut into his foil-stamped business card, but I like this guy, so I shall let it pass. :)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
If I got a buisiness card like his I would throw it out as soon as I left the room because he clearly has way to much ego for his own good and therefore I could never get any work done with him.

Other things wrong:

I have to open it up to see what he actually does, to much work and time in my world.

Odd shape makes it hard to store and therefore even if I did keep it, I would lose it because I can't securely put it in my card holder.

Now he is correct about monocolor flimsy cards, but his is just as bad.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Working for the past 24 years for a commercial printer who specializes in stationery products, I've seen more than my share of crap 1/0 business cards. A little foil can go a long way. One of my favorite all-time designs was for a local design company called moneypenny graphics. They used a one-shot stamp/emboss die with copper foil to put a penny image on their card. Really effective, fun, and memorable. Also, It really is amazing what the right substrate can do for a business card. Seems like paper is the first thing most people sacrifice to lower the cost, which is a tragic error imho.

All that aside, this guy is a complete @$$.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
A card like that speaks volumes.

It's loud, it's non standard size, it's expensive, it's more of a brochure than a card. It has his photo on it with silver embossed eyes.

A card shouldn't tell a life story, it should have a name, a company name, website, phone number and email address.

While i'm probably influenced by the video, if i just saw the card i would think this guy loves himself and would be impossible to work with as he'd do everything his own way.

The best business cards are standard size, clean, double sided - logo on front details on the back. One colour and black, or perhaps 2 shades of the same hue.

Spending $4 on a card is too much.

Here is a nice collection of business cards:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dailypoetics/sets/72057594104389710/

murdock25

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
"It doesn't fit in a rolodex...because it doesn't belong in a rolodex"

This guy is awesome! So quotable.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
If it doesn't fit in my rollodex it's gets put in the bottom of a drawer in my desk and forgotten about. Sorry but if you want to be wacky that's the risk you take.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What a dick.

That's what I do. Get to the point in as few words as possible. Stick that in your Rolodex, sideways.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Business cards are a way to transfer your contact details. If it doesn't fit in the box with the others most people will simply dump it. The skill in life is knowing the difference between being a maverick and shooting yourself in the foot. And I have to agree he is a bit of an arse.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Business cards are a way to transfer your contact details. If it doesn't fit in the box with the others most people will simply dump it.

+1. I don't know about y'all but I'd hire him in spite of his pompous arrogance simply because his business card is absolutely awesome.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
on reflection i think this guy could be a business genius. I'm not sure we could afford to hire him though. $4 a card would run us into the ground pretty quick.

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
That guy is great! Anyone know who he is or where collegehumor.com got the video? I would love to hear more ramblings from this guy. Hilarious!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Me: "Yes, please let me have your business card."

Him: Hands me that contraption.

Me: "No, I mean your business card."

Him: "This is my business card."

Me: What? Throws it in the trash can. "Next!"

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Anyone know how old the standard business card is? I applaud the guy for giving a big fck you to the standard business card because I do get billions of white cheap stocked B&W that info aside can go straight to the garbage after its on my iPhone.

I almost cant wait till everyone has a smart phone and can instantly send out electronic cards that can be updated with the latest info vs having some business card in their Rolodex or wallet with possibly outdated info.

Remember guys n gals the future is digital and unless paper thin OLED cards come out I don't see the point in having another boring business card. In this day and age things are becoming more dynamic more data driven then before and while I think having a business card IS important I'd love to see further development of lets say the vCard formats something that u can design fully digitally and have info update when ever its changed (possibly without sending out another vCard).

Rockatteer

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
That guy not only looks like Vince McMahon (WWE) but he has the same damn ego as him.

I can't stand people with egos larger than they are.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
LOL. Like both movies. Personally I throw cards out when they are not standard size and when they can't be scanned in a business card scanner. However there are nics business cards out there. I tried to design one by myself but I never looked good. I think its like logo design some kind of art.

BTW: whats the best business card scanning solution for mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.