Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stigg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
sw Wash st.
Hey e'budy.
I'm not sure what happened but when I open G/band this message comes up:

"The Instrument Library is invalid. GarageBand expects a valid Instrument Library folder in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand.
Please choose a valid Instrument Library folder or quit and re-install GarageBand."

I have I life 08 and have reloaded it twice and still get the same.

What can I do?

I have logic express on the same system and it doesn't seem to be affected.

G5 dual 1.8 cpu 3gig ram OS10.4.11
Thanks.
stigg.

Dr Sound

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Roxborough Park Colorado
Quick answer

How to Install Garageband Instruments & Samples

1. Instruments folder should be copied into (User) Library/Application Support/Garageband/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments
2. Samples folder should be copied into (User) Library/Application Support/Garageband/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files
3. Track Settings folder should be copied into (User) Library/Application Support/Garageband/Instrument Library/Track Settings/Software

Long explanation that might help

Why is Garageband Instrument Installation more complicated than Logic?

You would think that installation of samples and instruments into Garageband would be simpler than a Logic Installation. Not so. Obviously Apple have decided to make Garageband almost a simpler cut down version of Logic (You could argue that Logic is just a grown up complicated version of Garageband).

Logic uses the EXS virtual instrument sampler in the insert of an instrument channel strip. These instruments are stored as .exs files in the User/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments folder. Each of these then references a set of samples (.aif or .wav files - the actual sounds), which are in a folder that can be anywhere on your hard drive. If moved, Logic should be able to find them. The EXS instrument has a user interface which allows you to edit the instrument parameters and raw samples.

As well as the EXS instrument in the channel insert, Logic can have various other plugins as effects on the other inserts of the channel strip, and you can save any channel strip configuration (ie the instrument and the other plugins) as a Channel Strip Setting. This is a .cst file and is saved to the User/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings folder
So What Happens with Garageband ?

Well, Garageband is simpler for the user who just wants to simply record and playback. But adding exs instruments is not so easy. Garageband does not include the EXS 24 sampler, but it can read the .exs instruments in a roundabout kind of way. It uses the same .cst channels strip settings as Logic (except that it calls them Track Settings). Instead of loading a .exs instrument file directly (which you can’t because there is no EXS24), you use a .cst setting (which can be created in Logic or Keymap) that contains the EXS instrument, but not the other plugins that you would normally save with a Channel Strip Setting. This means that in Garageband you need to install the exs instruments plus the cst settings as well as the samples. (In Logic you would only need .cst files when additional plugins had been added). That is basically it: if that makes sense to you then now you know what is going on "under the hood" of garageband. If not, don’t worry, just have fun making music with the samples!

whole Article here

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/garageband-instruments-samples.html

Hope this Helps

stigg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
sw Wash st.
Thanks Dr Sound.

"1. Instruments folder should be copied into (User) Library/Application Support/Garageband/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments"

I can't open G/band but can rt. click and expose the contents and there
is no library (even after installing I life 08) although I believe there used to be.

Is there another place where that library could be found?

s.

Dr Sound

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Roxborough Park Colorado
not usually another place...

You might try this Next

re-install the GarageBand Loops from its install DVD,

When the installer reaches the "Installation Type" dialog, click the Customize button and enable the "GarageBand Additional Instruments and Loops" option.

stigg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
sw Wash st.
Dr. Sound.
I was able to fix G/band.
I talked to my local mac guy and not being mac savvy didn't realize I had to completely delete all G/band files then empty the trash.
Went to "find" typed Garageband, and deleted all the G/band files and folders
then after dumping the trash did custom I-life 08 G/band install and everything works like new.
Thanks for your help.
s.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.