Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gop007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I have been waiting for the G5 Rev B since January. When looking at the new eMac I realized that it will allow me to do many of the things I was looking for in the G5. Right now I am using an iBook G3 500 at my business. I needed a much faster machine for Photoshop, Desktop publishing, web design, and CD Burning. For $800 I got a bargain in the new eMac. I have owned a Dual 1 GHZ system and I do own a Dual 1.8 G5 at home. So I was able to get a good idea of speed differences between the G4 and G5 chips. There is not as much as might think.

So the plan is to keep my eMac until Dec or January and then really upgrade to the next G5 after the 3 GHZ upgrade this late summer. The eMac will used as a back up and play computer for the kids and I will be happy with a 3.5 G5, x6 DVD burning, 256 MB graphics card come next year.

What do you all think? :)

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
I've got an emac 700. It's a great computer. It's not crazy fast, but gets the job done. I use photoshop all the time and have never had a problem with power. I'll probably get another one soon. The emac definately has the most bang for the buck of any mac.

Congrats on your purchase. :)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
congratulations

I think you did great. if you haven't already gotten it, I recommend you get the tilt and swivel stand. it will make you feel better about having your eMac. I had an eMac last year (got it in the summer, sold it in December).. it was flat on my desk for a month or two, and then I got the stand. the stand really helped aesthetically. it's not quite the look of a flat-panel iMac but it's still not bad. also, it's great to be able to tilt and swivel the 50 lb. thing with a fingertip.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
eMacs are underrated as a generality, I bough one as a house machine last year and have been very pleased with it's handling of the Pro apps as well as the general stuff.

I run ProTools, Reason, Logic, FCP4 and DVD Studio Pro on it without any problems, sure, big rendering jobs take a little time, and I can't go mad with the audio, but they are great machines all round and very cost effective.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I would kill for an eMac without a built in CRT... but I guess that makes it sort of like a G4 cube then, huh?

gop007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Thank you for all your responses. I can not get a swivel and stand for it since I don't have room for it at the business. It does not bother me what it looks like since I am the only one looking at it in the backroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.