Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisisarcadia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Ok so i just bought a ps3 a couple of days ago and i was wondering since the wireless in the ps3 doesnt connect to my wireless at home if there was a way to set up internet sharing via my macbook to connect my ps3 to the internet. would i use an ethernet cable that is plugged into my macbook running out into the ps3? If anyone knows how to set this up or just set it up in general please tell me thanks! :cool:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
There is a way to do this.

You'd hook the PS3 to your MB, then in System Preferences-->Sharing-->And check the "internet sharing" box and the "on" box next to ethernet.

Just an aside, but shouldn't the PS3 work with your WiFi network?

thisisarcadia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
New Orleans, LA
There is a way to do this.

You'd hook the PS3 to your MB, then in System Preferences-->Sharing-->And check the "internet sharing" box and the "on" box next to ethernet.

Just an aside, but shouldn't the PS3 work with your WiFi network?

well i thought it would seeing that my iphone and macbook connect to it! i just dont understand why the ps3 wont find the network, i wonder if it os out of range? And after i connect the ps3 to my macbook via usb do you know if ill be able to connect right up?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
well i thought it would seeing that my iphone and macbook connect to it! i just dont understand why the ps3 wont find the network, i wonder if it os out of range? And after i connect the ps3 to my macbook via usb do you know if ill be able to connect right up?

I've only ever used ethernet to share the connection. I don't know if it'll share via USB.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
you can do this to convert your built-in airport card into a wireless router if your computer receives the main ethernet connection, essentially turning your mac into a wireless router. it works great for my wii and iPod touch. the only downside is that whenever i have to restart my iMac (once a months or so), i often have to go into Sys Prefs > Sharing and deactivate/reactivate Internet Sharing to start it back up, but that beats having to buy a wireless router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.