PDA

View Full Version : powermac processor problem-urgent help needed!

moogmachine
Apr 10, 2009, 03:37 AM
Hi guys,

My friend suggested I post on here as you are all really helpful.

I've just bought a powermac on ebay which I'm going to use solely for music production. I didn't read the smallprint and it seems there is a slight issue with the processor. I've pasted what it says below. My Q is can this be fixed, and if so what are your recommendations?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Chris

----------------------

4 Gb Ram (8 x 512Mb Modules) 2 x 250 SATA HD, Airport Extreme wireless lan card

Has had a new M/B 6 months ago and a replacment DVD RW (not direct apple replacment,*but OS 10.5 will use the drive without extra software)

This unit is in full working order with a clean install of Max os 10.5.0

Radeon 9600 128Mb Graphics card and also a 4 port USB card in addition to all the normal PowerMac G5 ports

The unit is a Dual 2.0Ghz confugiration but only one proecessor is now detected, how ever if both CPU's are not present the unit will not start up, have never been able to get it to see both CPU's since the M/B replacement. But have used this unit for the last 6 months without a problem

cal6n
Apr 10, 2009, 05:40 AM
It's possible that this is an early 2.0 GHz G5 (hence the graphics card) but when the motherboard was replaced, the repairer may have used a later one with a single, dual-core processor.

The acid-test would be to check how many CPUs are actually being monitored in Activity Monitor.

Abidubi
Apr 10, 2009, 10:17 AM
The unit is a Dual 2.0Ghz confugiration but only one proecessor is now detected, how ever if both CPU's are not present the unit will not start up, have never been able to get it to see both CPU's since the M/B replacement. But have used this unit for the last 6 months without a problem

That is flat out false. My dual 1.8 G5 has been running for about 8 months with only 1 processor. You need to remove the bad one and the good one must be in the top slot.

You can replace the defective one by buying another one of the same model. (ie 2003, june 2004, early 2005) ect.