PDA

View Full Version : Linspire rips off Apple

DavidLeblond
Apr 20, 2004, 09:46 AM
Saw this in Slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/20/1223229&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=185

Check out the screen shots of LSongs and LPhoto... look familiar?

So what do y'all think? "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" or "Who needs an R&D department when you can blatently rip off every aspect of the competition's UI"?

Counterfit
Apr 20, 2004, 10:46 AM
Well, other than being uglier...

I wonder if Apple will go to the same lengths to protect the iTunes and iPhoto interfaces as they did with the iPod interface.

rueyeet
Apr 20, 2004, 12:34 PM
So what do y'all think? "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" or "Who needs an R&D department when you can blatently rip off every aspect of the competition's UI"?How about both, with a healthy helping of, "If you like Apple's apps that much, why aren't you using a Mac?" :p

It just continues to amaze me that admist all the debate about whether Linux is "ready for prime-time", everyone always seems to avoid mentioning that Apple has already put a supremely usable interface over Unix. Unless you're committed (in all senses) to the open-source ideal, why use Linux at all?

I also think that's why Apple hasn't ported iTunes to Linux...the feeling probably is, as long as you're not a strict open-source devotee, you might as well be using a Mac over a Linux box--and the people who would disagree with that statement probably wouldn't use a Mac anyway, for a number of reasons.

srobert
Apr 20, 2004, 01:22 PM
Whoa! Déja vu

claytonbench
Apr 20, 2004, 01:23 PM
Saw this in Slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/20/1223229&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=185

So what do y'all think? "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" or "Who needs an R&D department when you can blatently rip off every aspect of the competition's UI"?

Lindows is not Apple's competitor the are not even in the same league.

wdlove
Apr 20, 2004, 01:33 PM
I think that it is a poor Windows like imitation. Why would Linux not be considered competition to Apple. There was an article here in Boston that Linux is growing at a faster pace than Windows, in the business world.

coolsoldier
Apr 20, 2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah, LPhoto is a blatant ripoff of iPhoto -- they didn't even try to hide it. (Even just the name...). LTunes is also pretty darn close to iTunes, but then again, KDE's Juk player is just as much of a UI ripoff.

People can say all they want about open source innovation, and most of it's true, but I've yet to see any open source program with a good, original interface. Now, I'm not completely sure if these apps are open source or not, but LTunes is no more of a ripoff of the iTunes UI than Lindows itself is a ripoff of the windows UI.

aethier
Apr 20, 2004, 01:55 PM
Wow, did you notice that in the "Lphoto" screen shot, the icon representing the desktop, has the panther background..

aethier

Savage Henry
Apr 20, 2004, 02:14 PM
They look like they've been dug up from a pre-95 software magazine cover CD.

These people have obviousl got a lot of time on their hands if they spend it devlopng this kind of drivel.

stoid
Apr 20, 2004, 05:03 PM
hideous

absolutely freaking hideous

i have to go wash out my eyes now

ingenious
Apr 20, 2004, 08:28 PM
hideous

absolutely freaking hideous

i have to go wash out my eyes now

these are hideous....:rolleyes: i wonder how long apple will let them last? :confused:

Dippo
Apr 20, 2004, 09:16 PM

Someone ripped off Apple?
What else is new, Microsoft has been doing this for years.

MrMacMan
Apr 20, 2004, 11:46 PM
Someone ripped off Apple?
What else is new, Microsoft has been doing this for years.

Yeah but we also lost that court case years ago.

And we don't want to lose Microsoft Mac Buis Unit Do we?

Word?
Excel?
Power Point?

All can be canned.

Counterfit
Apr 21, 2004, 11:31 AM
Except with Microsoft, it was partially allowed by the contract :(

And Word can go die a slow, painful, bloated death.

idkew
Apr 21, 2004, 02:21 PM
Except with Microsoft, it was partially allowed by the contract :(

And Word can go die a slow, painful, bloated death.

i would rather it die quickly, then we can desecrate it later. ;)