PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 making mosquito noise

annk
Apr 10, 2009, 12:03 PM
The thread title says it all. Yesterday my PB from 2004 started to make a noise like an angry mosquito. Is it the hard drive dying on me?

This is just a take-along-when-I-need-to-be-mobile computer, there's nothing there that needs to be backed up. But I wonder what the noise means.

BlueRevolution
Apr 10, 2009, 01:45 PM
Probably the hard drive, yeah. Does the sound vary with use? Notice any performance issues?

annk
Apr 11, 2009, 01:49 AM
The sound doesn't vary with use, and I have no performance issues.

Someone I mentioned it to thought it might just be fan noise. That would be a relief.

DoFoT9
Apr 11, 2009, 02:14 AM
The sound doesn't vary with use, and I have no performance issues.

Someone I mentioned it to thought it might just be fan noise. That would be a relief.

no it wouldnt, a bad fan would cause MUCH more probems then a bad HD

BlueRevolution
Apr 11, 2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah, if the sound is a constant whine it's probably a fan.

annk
Apr 11, 2009, 12:53 PM
no it wouldnt, a bad fan would cause MUCH more probems then a bad HD

But couldn't it just be dust on the fan? I am clueless about fans, except I know why they're there. :p

DoFoT9
Apr 11, 2009, 04:38 PM
But couldn't it just be dust on the fan? I am clueless about fans, except I know why they're there. :p

haha true it could just be that. but if that dust is impeding on the fans speed, then your computer couldbe running VERY hot, which could damage the CPU + damage the heatsyncs + damage the logic board around it + much more.

thats why i think its more dangerous having a bad fan :) :(

BlueRevolution
Apr 11, 2009, 04:48 PM
Happily, a bad fan is much cheaper to fix (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-17-Inch-1-1-67-GHz-Heat-Sink-Fan-Assembly/259/1).