PDA

View Full Version : Editing RAW with Photoshop CS3

pdechavez
Apr 10, 2009, 02:55 PM
So when I open .NEF (Nikon) Raw files, it opens a preliminary windown to do exposure, temperature etc. So when I click 'Open Image' to do extensive editing, will it still open in RAW or will it be converted to Jpeg?

Thanks

Cliff3
Apr 10, 2009, 03:12 PM
That window you are seeing is Adobe Camera Raw, or ACR. It translates (demosaic is the term for the process) the image into a format internal to Photoshop that I would guess has a lot in common with a PSD file. When you save the image, PS can't save it as a NEF file and you are prompted to specify a file type.

pdechavez
Apr 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
That window you are seeing is Adobe Camera Raw, or ACR. It translates (demosaic is the term for the process) the image into a format internal to Photoshop that I would guess has a lot in common with a PSD file. When you save the image, PS can't save it as a NEF file and you are prompted to specify a file type.

But if I click open image, will it still be in RAW (not NEF) file?

thanks for the reply

Cliff3
Apr 10, 2009, 04:12 PM
But if I click open image, will it still be in RAW (not NEF) file?

thanks for the reply

The source for your image will be the raw file, yes. A raw file is basically just a sensor dump that can't be displayed or edited by an imaging program until it has been demosaiced by a program like ACR.

pdechavez
Apr 10, 2009, 04:25 PM
The source for your image will be the raw file, yes. A raw file is basically just a sensor dump that can't be displayed or edited by an imaging program until it has been demosaiced by a program like ACR.

Oh I see, so basically, ACR is converting the info to be useable in PS, and still be able to go thru extensive editing without losing quality?

Cliff3
Apr 10, 2009, 04:32 PM
Oh I see, so basically, ACR is converting the info to be useable in PS, and still be able to go thru extensive editing without losing quality?

More or less. This article would be a good place for you to begin reading, if you're curious and would like to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format