PDA

View Full Version : Really confused about eMac 700MHz RAM upgrade options

donnie3000
Apr 20, 2004, 11:40 AM
Hello everyone, I finally joined! This is my first post!

Having looked all over Apple discussions, and having looked on this site too, I'm confused about how much my eMac 700 RAM can be upgraded.

I was under the impression that one of the RAM slots was inaccesssible to all but the brave who want to open up the whole case.

My eMac came with 128Mb standard, and I thought that the most I could upgrade it to was 640Mb (the original 128Mb plus a 512Mb in the one accessible slot).

Am I wrong with this? Can I rip out the 128Mb and replace it with 512Mb and in the future up the RAM to 1Gb?

Any help would be cool ;)

eMac 700MHz 384Mb 10.2.8

stronghand
Apr 20, 2004, 11:32 PM
Check out the extremely helpful and free app Mactracker. It contains all the little details necessary for upgrading your Mac. It will tell you what Apple says is the maximum RAM (which was based off chips available at the time of the machine's release) and what is actually possible now. This is an indispensible tool, particularly when you have a few iterations of every machine Apple has released over the past several years strewn throughout the office to maintain. For your machine it says 1 GB max, but double check that yourself...

By the by, this was my first post as well, been lurking for quite a while...

solvs
Apr 21, 2004, 12:40 AM
You can upgrade the 700 MHz eMac to 1 GB PC133 SDRAM (possibly 2 GB, but it would be expensive). The 128 MB stick is user upgradeable. You may be thinking of the iBook, which had 128 (now 256) soldered on. Or the G4 iMac, which you can upgrade to 1 or 2 GB, but one slot is hard to upgrade. Requires an authorized tech to install it (or a lot of thermal grease, and would void your warranty).

Apple.com has some info on how to do it, but www.xlr8yourmac.com is really good for this type of thing.

donnie3000
Apr 21, 2004, 04:06 AM
Great advice, thanks! :)