Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I'd suggest checking out the dell refurbish outpost and slickdeals.net for their weekly 20-25% off + free shipping coupons to slap onto the Dell Latitude e4300. I managed to find one for $700 total with very good specs.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...&l=en&lob=LAT&MODEL_DESC=Latitude E4300&s=dfb

I'd have to say, for that price, the e4300 from the outlet is a GREAT contender for the fiscally rational and practical ultra-portable buyer ;). Wouldn't you agree? I've experienced the e4300 and it is lighter than the MBA and almost nearly as thin. Save an extra $1000 and put it into a desktop rig or something.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Why would you post a PC alternative to a Mac on forums for Macs?

If people would be interesting in getting a MBA alternative, they would look in some other forums not here.

I am sorry but this is the first time I suggest DELETING a thread!

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009

If people would be interesting in getting a MBA alternative, they would look in some other forums not here.

You may be right. But with the advent of the dell adamo coming around and getting bashed on, I figured I put in a suggestion for help and consideration, a laptop I personally experienced to be just as good as the MBA, and loads cheaper and reasonable compared to adamo. Frankly, I found the adamo disappointing in comparison and felt kind of disappointed that people didn't see that there already were longstanding competitors to the MBA... And quite contrary to what you may believe, I was actually one who came into this forum new to macrumors looking for a competitor to the MBA. If I were to go back a month in time, I would've liked to have seen a friendly, reasonable comparison--PC or not (when will the hating and segregating END?). Delete it then -_-.

eyefragment

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004

Deleting a thread is normally done because the thread has done something against the forum terms of service, not because someone thinks it's irrelevant or generally dislikes the thread. I personally use all three of the major operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows), and I browse forums related to all three. Just because you have no interest in the offer doesn't mean someone else isn't interested, and while you are certainly free to voice that you think it's irrelevant to a Mac forum, you should probably re-evaluate whether a disagreement alone is grounds for deleting a thread.

As for netbooks, I've always wondered why apple went with the macbook air (and dell with the Adamo) over a true netbook form factor. I think that this style of computer is mostly good as an addition to your primary machine. One that is convenient to move around, but one that you wouldn't do any serious work at. With that in mind, I certainly would not pay $1,700, which is more than my primary computer cost me, for a far less frequently used "sidekick," so to speak. Why not hit the $300-400 (or $700, as the case may be) sweet spot instead? Something like the latitude you mentioned would be more up my alley.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I personally think this thread is more about your unwillingness to pay for an MBA, and you want to share alternatives which indirectly is bashing the MBA. I don't personally think that computer even compares with Adamo, MBA, x301 ThinkPad, nor Sony.

And to post here in the MBA section, is ultra wrong in my opinion. If we weren't on Mac Rumors and were on a laptop forum or computer forum that would be ok... but I find this thread very distasteful.

Best wishes with your Dell.

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I personally think this thread is more about your unwillingness to pay for an MBA, and you want to share alternatives which indirectly is bashing the MBA. I don't personally think that computer even compares with Adamo, MBA, x301 ThinkPad, nor Sony.

And to post here in the MBA section, is ultra wrong in my opinion. If we weren't on Mac Rumors and were on a laptop forum or computer forum that would be ok... but I find this thread very distasteful.

Best wishes with your Dell.

Except, I have the MBA, and not the dell. lol you're such a fanboy scotts. Haven't seen you once consider an alternative rationally. But you're still cool in my book ;). Additionally, what if I were to be disgruntled with my purchase of the MBA? Blasphemy isn't it. Offer a friendly and reasonable alternative? HERESY.

I actually am learning to understand as I'm researching more and more alternatives, that the only defense I have against people who call me stupid for buying the MBA is the "you gatta own one to know." This eventually boils down (for me at least) to having the bigger size trackpad, multitouch features, and the "wow cool, what is that?!" neighbor replies when I pull it outa my case. And don't for once think of bringing up the thermal paste thingy and how you dramatically emphasized how terrible apple was about it to suggest that you are in some manner objective scotts ;). We all know you love apple religiously. I only come off as bashing, because of it. I'm going to be real and downright honest with what I buy and invest my time to post about. But scotts is least admirable though, passionate for something. Try to figure out what "you gatta own one to know" means to you? I'd love to know. The fact that some of u guys are becoming so defensive when you are asked to compare, I find that you guys are scared that you won't be able to come up with a justifiable answer to the vague and unaccountable defenses for the MBA. Heck, I doubt half even went to the dell outpost link and checked out what an e4300 was...

Throughout this year, I've come to feel that I am no longer admiring the MBA for its weight or thinness (my reasons being these alternatives, hence), but to those derivatives mentioned above. I hope its not a crime to suggest that this may happen to you, as the glory and novelty of it all starts to wear off... I'm sticking to the MBA, since I finally have rationally come to understand why I can say I think its worth it--love the large trackpad, the multitouch features, and the cool-factor.

To Eye. You're on the right track. But, netbooking is more towards downgrading to a lesser form IMO. Stuck around with the eee pcs and dell mini's, and they were just quite literally 1/2 of what I thought a laptop was (no pun intended). I tried to stick to the same screen size and utility to be as fair and juxtapositional as possible. In terms of a full-size keyboard and the screen size and even the hard drive space and power, I think netbooks a tier under the MBA's competition, albeit a completely different kind of ultraportable. I was thinking along the SONY Z, SR, TZ series that have almost the same footprint, power, and relative utility.

mrrippey

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
I consider the Air like an Audi TT; can you get something "faster, bigger, better bang for buck?" yes but ask any Audi TT owner, they love their cars because it is different yet perfect for them. There is something to having a TT and the Air falls into that space. Maybe not the best but the coolest you have ever seen, plus it rocks well.

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
I consider the Air like an Audi TT; can you get something "faster, bigger, better bang for buck?" yes but ask any Audi TT owner, they love their cars because it is different yet perfect for them. There is something to having a TT and the Air falls into that space. Maybe not the best but the coolest you have ever seen, plus it rocks well.

Exactly the "you gatta own one to know" defense, which in your case, boils down to cool-factor--unaccountable and highly opinionated and especially comparable to alternatives. The AP2 S2000, the Fairlady Z concept, the SLK280 or 350 (which I had, and is an AMAZINGLY impractical yet super awesome car)... Everything has an alternative, even the alternative-less things ;)

I GOT IT!
I should've named the topic: After owning your MBA, things you love MOST about it?
That way, its nonabrasive, and it does not commit heresy by removing any suggestive themes in considering not loving anything about apple :D... And completely ignore the good dell deal that I thought I was being nice in sharing as insightful ;).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Except, I have the MBA, and not the dell. lol you're such a fanboy scotts. Haven't seen you once consider an alternative rationally. But you're still cool in my book ;). Additionally, what if I were to be disgruntled with my purchase of the MBA? Blasphemy isn't it. I actually am learning to understand as I'm researching more and more alternatives, that the only defense I have against people who call me stupid for buying the MBA is the "you gatta own one to know." This eventually boils down (for me at least) to having the bigger size trackpad, multitouch features, and the "wow cool, what is that?!" neighbor replies when I pull it outa my case. And don't for once think of bringing up the thermal paste thingy and how you dramatically emphasized how terrible apple was about it to suggest that you are in some manner objective. We all know you love apple religiously. That's at least admirable though, you're passionate for something. Try to figure out what "you gatta own one to know" means to you? I'd love to know.

Throughout this year, I've come to feel that I am no longer admiring the MBA for its weight or thinness (my reasons being these alternatives, hence), but to those derivatives mentioned above. I hope its not a crime to suggest that this may happen to you, as the glory and novelty of it all starts to wear off...

To Eye. You're on the right track. But, netbooking is more towards downgrading to a lesser form IMO. Stuck around with the eee pcs and dell mini's, and they were just quite literally 1/2 of what I thought a laptop was (no pun intended). I tried to stick to the same screen size and utility to be as fair and juxtapositional as possible. In terms of a full-size keyboard and the screen size and even the hard drive space and power, I think netbooks a tier under the MBA's competition, albeit a completely different kind of ultraportable. I was thinking along the SONY Z, SR, TZ series that have almost the same footprint, power, and relative utility.

Actually, as of today, I am no longer a Mac owner. All three of my Macs were stolen earlier today. Very bad day. Trying not to think about it, but it's hard to ignore as I am punching down the keys of this old piece of crap Dell that was in a box in my garage.

Rough day.

So you are growing tired of your MBA? How could that be? Really? And you want to leave OS X? Really? Are you sure you aren't just the type of person that grows old and tired of anything? Wouldn't you get tired of the replacement.

mrrippey

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
I actually thought the Dell was a great deal. I also got my wife a SLK320 instead of the the Z4 (she liked the nifty hard drop roof) although the Z4 would have been cheaper.

I think it is healthy to mention alternatives. I do not even have an Air yet so I love to read on what is out there. I never hate on more info.:D:D:D

dudeitsjay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Actually, as of today, I am no longer a Mac owner. All three of my Macs were stolen earlier today. Very bad day. Trying not to think about it, but it's hard to ignore as I am punching down the keys of this old piece of crap Dell that was in a box in my garage.

Rough day.

So you are growing tired of your MBA? How could that be? Really? And you want to leave OS X? Really? Are you sure you aren't just the type of person that grows old and tired of anything? Wouldn't you get tired of the replacement.

DUDE WHAT HAPPENED?! Sorry to hear that.

Yea I guess I am... I definitely don't want to leave OSX. I was a huge PC fan and loved XP and originally had issues with how watered down and stupified osx was. But I love how streamline it is and how it all connects and syncs with my other apple products, especially my ipod touch 2g. Even right now, I find issues with OSX (one especially regarding my hamachi vpn setup where it logs a transfer then errors, then leaves it eating up the memory with no way to end the process's individual thread on activity monitor unless you do a full reboot), but I still like the spaces, expose, the superior airport wireless capabilities, etc.

Ah to the heart of the matter. Yes, eventually I'll get tired of everything. Which is the point exactly that I'm trying to make. The MBA is a novelty by design and marketing nature, which time eventually erodes. An alternative that can go through the same steps, leave the same footprint, but cost much less is hardly ever mentioned as a contender (e4300, SR, TZ, Z). Instead, there's hype about the even more ridiculous product--the Adamo. If you really think hard about it, you have to come to realize there's something about that MBA that'll set you apart indefinitely... something concrete and substantial (like my love for the multitouch and yada yada). If you know you won't have a love for these, then my suggestion to you would be to consider the e4300, as without those delineating features as a desire, you won't go wrong...

evillageprowler

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
NJ, USA
I see nothing wrong with this thread. In fact, I read this thread just because I was interested in seeing what might be a good alternative to the Air.

I've owned three laptops in my life, and my wife has had two (different from mine). I've come to understand that one's choice of a laptop is very personal - much more so than a desktop (or desk side) model.

I like the Air for its touchpad features, full-size keyboard and its attractiveness (my opinion). I also like that it runs OS X. :)

However, I also wanted a bit more power, an optical burner and most of all the ability to upgrade the hdd and ram. As you can see from my signature, I ended up with the MBP because for a bit more money than the Air, I got a bigger screen, backlit keypad, much more power and not much more weight. Better value proposition for my wants and needs.

I haven't looked closely at the E4300 (or any other notebook PC's) yet. Maybe they'd be a better buy for my wants and needs hardware-wise, except that they don't run OS X. I will have to visit the issue of another laptop in the near future: low-cost, basic power and capability, DIY upgradability of hdd and ram, wifi-n chipset supported by the latest Linux and Solaris 10 x86 kernels.

EVP

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada

Rough day.

scottsdale, I am sorry for your loss :( I hope you have insurance that will be able to cover it and if there is one thing i've noticed about you on these forums: you're an optimistic guy. And so I see you bouncing back from this in no time to join the mac league. :)

evillageprowler

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
NJ, USA

Terribly sorry to hear this. I hope the police will be able to catch the scum who did this to you.

EVP

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
TO THE OP : It's just that if everyone - or even just a lot of people started posting threads like this here - then this MBA forum would be overrun with topics that have nothing to do with the MBA and this place would be so diluted that honestly I would probably frequent here much less....

I left the Windows pc world behind a year ago - and just don't need a reminder here. this is where i go to escape windows and all the other hardware makers.....

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Actually, as of today, I am no longer a Mac owner. All three of my Macs were stolen earlier today.

Damn... A short time ago I started a thread about installing security/tracking software on our Macs... without me looking it up again - did you have any tracking software installed on any of them?

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Actually, as of today, I am no longer a Mac owner. All three of my Macs were stolen earlier today. Very bad day.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Scott. I hope you get them back.

Back to topic, the Dell Latitude E4300 is much more of a Macbook competitor than a Macbook Air competitor. The Dell is a bit cheaper, and also a bit less powerful in the graphics department than the Macbook.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
The Dell USA Outlet is an amazing place for inexpensive workhorse computers. However it doesn't ship to the rest of the world, so it's only good for Americans. In comparison the Apple refurb store ships to many different countries all around the world. So refurb Airs are still a better deal for the rest of the world as they can't get any of those Dell outlet computers anyway.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008

Rough day.

Damn, Scott. They must really be anti-Mac fanboys.

Did I get a laugh? No? :(

Sorry to hear that, I really am. Your passion and optimism is a shining light here. Best wishes tracking that (now rich) scum down. My lord.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Why do something so crazy like buy a MacBook air when you can buy one of these??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p+dv7&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218041148373

Look at that bad boy!

- Much larger, 17" display!
- 4GB of RAM. DDR2, baby.
- 320GB HDD. No more storage worries!
- 5-in-1 digital media reader. Z0MG no more adapters.
- Over 2.5X the weight and thickness. No more worries about you not getting any exercise!
- Vista.

And it's half the price! Why buy the MacBook Air??

Andre1980

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Because those low-cost-big-display-notebooks suck big time!

They might bring good power and 283 USB ports and the mighty multi card reader, but let't not forget: you get what you give. And since the most expensive piece in a notebook is the display, you get the worst quality, if you pay below 1000 € for a notebook, even from good brands. And the display is the most important thing in a computer, after all.

Of course I haven't seen ALL notebooks on the market, but those I have seen were some 17" Toshibas, some HPs and Acers. And the cheap ones just sucked.

The Apple displays are superb, except for the Macbook, which I would call OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.