Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kelv1ntran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
hello, i have a 2.4 ghz alum macbook and i was wondering at what temperatures does your fans start to actually spin up. i'm at 70C right now and it still hovers at +/- 2000 rpm just wondering if this is normal i used smc fan controller for a little bit but i decided that i would just leave it to apples default and use a laptop cooler if i really need the extra disccipation.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
That's normal.

I think mine kick upto 2400rpm or so around 75C, and then higher as temps rise. The highest I've seen was 4000rpm or so during handbrake'ing a movie when the CPU temp was briefly around 82-85C.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Ditto. Thats about what I get. They seem to kick in late, but hey what do I know. Until I start having issues Ill assume Apple is right. I got 2 years 10 months for it to fry itself anyways. Ill prob want a new laptop by then anyways.

kelv1ntran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Ditto. Thats about what I get. They seem to kick in late, but hey what do I know. Until I start having issues Ill assume Apple is right. I got 2 years 10 months for it to fry itself anyways. Ill prob want a new laptop by then anyways.

haha goodpoint i should hop on that applecare soon lol

Sfen

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
I guess it's normal, I've never been over 2050 and I've pushed my macbook to its limit more than once (most of the times by accident... oops).

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I guess it's normal, I've never been over 2050 and I've pushed my macbook to its limit more than once (most of the times by accident... oops).

If you've only had the fans upto 2050, you haven't even gotten remotely close the computer's limits ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.