PDA

View Full Version : Apple Advertisements Part 3: Kids

arn
Jun 24, 2002, 10:00 PM
Apple appears to be expanding it's "Real People" ad line to include real kids... According to this Craig's List announcement (http://www.craigslist.org/sfo/tfr/4383226.html), Apple is searching for kids 9-15 for future print ads:

Nancy Hayes Casting is currently casting a print ad for Apple Computers. We are looking for boys and girls, ages 9-15, who use a Mac in some creative way. For example, kids who have their own websites, kids who mix or remix their own music, kids who are published writers, kids who use the mac for filmmaking or photography. Or surprise us with your own creative ideas! We are not looking for models, but real kids.

Apple recently launched their "Real People" ad campaign (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/06/20020610025349.shtml) June 10th and were reported to expand this with celebrities (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/06/20020619030946.shtml) in the near future.

MacAztec
Jun 24, 2002, 10:13 PM
Well well! I am 13...not too far from cupertino...I use my macs to rip and mix music, and for digital photography!

Royal Pineapple
Jun 24, 2002, 10:20 PM
finally my voice can be heard, too bad i just turned 16, mabey they'll bend the rules because i use my mac so much. i never "switched" so to speak, since ive been using macs since birth. but i've been forsed to use Pceese in school and i hate them:D :D :D
i hope they can use me

Dignan
Jun 24, 2002, 10:27 PM
I like how at the bottom of the ad it says

"Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK."

Looks like someone is breaking the rules.

kishba
Jun 24, 2002, 10:28 PM
i'm in midland, michigan and am 17 (a little old but hey :))

i switched two years ago and haven't looked back... windows was a pain and with my mac i've been able to work on movies and just recently burn dvds... i love my ipod and i just finally started taking digital pictures and organizing them with iphoto.... i've converted about 4 friends to macs too :)

i love apple :D

eyelikeart
Jun 24, 2002, 11:06 PM
First hit the regular joes...show the world how easy it was for these people who made the switch to adjust to a Mac...

now go where it counts...children...

it's like marketing toys to kids...u know they are gonna want them...

and computers are being more & more used in younger grades of school...make them all Macs...get the edge in that corner of the market...

plus with all of the new technologies being introduced by Apple...it's gotta be so easy for a child to learn how to be "creative" :D

Royal Pineapple
Jun 25, 2002, 12:17 AM
some of us can be creative without computers thank you very much:D

buffsldr
Jun 25, 2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by arn
Apple appears to be expanding it's "Real People" ad line to include real kids... According to this Craig's List announcement (http://www.craigslist.org/sfo/tfr/4383226.html), Apple is searching for kids 9-15 for future print ads:

Awesome! Kids 9-15 are 90% of the macrumors regulars. We will do so well, I expect to have at least 2 kids from macrumors in the ads.

This is great.

JereIC
Jun 25, 2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by buffsldr

Awesome! Kids 9-15 are 90% of the macrumors regulars. We will do so well, I expect to have at least 2 kids from macrumors in the ads.

This is great.

I never imagined I'd feel so old at 19...

beatle888
Jun 25, 2002, 01:49 AM
i thought the people at macrumors where atleast in the 20's.

MikeH
Jun 25, 2002, 03:52 AM
Sorry, but it sounds a terrible idea.

Aim an advert at kids and instantly turn off the 'young adult' market. People who are 18-24 don't want to be associated with kids and as these are the people with the most disposable cash (no wife, kids, mortgage etc.) they are the last ones you want to turn away.

After some superb Apple adverts in the past (1984, so powerful it's weapon, think different), this latest batch of 'real people' adverts just seem like sickley trash.

Flame away...

sweetaction
Jun 25, 2002, 05:01 AM
I have no problem with Apple's latest campaigns. Who wins? Mac users. Who loses? Mac users?

I sure hope not.

If you would quit using a Mac because kids or common folks are using it, you need to just get out now.

Kids grow up to be young adults, and young professionals, and young parents and they too have young kids and I would be very happy to see ore families using Macs.

Supply and demand.

More people use Macs = more demand for Mac apps, tools, hardware, accessories, as well as a demand for more from Apple.

Look at all the innovation Apple has brought into our lives with barely 5% market share? Get more money rolling in, get more great minds involved, Apple users get more.

Apple is going to be everything to everyone, in reality they already are. That means it down to marketing.

Go Apple.

irmongoose
Jun 25, 2002, 05:21 AM
Hehe I hope they can use me... I'm 13 (turning 14 in August) and I use my Mac for editing video... is Apple willing to pay for my plane ticket? :D

BTW, they haven't had a Switch ad in Japan yet... so I'm doubting they ever will... sad :(

irmongoose

mmmdreg
Jun 25, 2002, 07:01 AM
so is there going to be a ad: part 4: oldies campaign now? for all the ex-computer-illiterates who learnt on a Mac?

jadam
Jun 25, 2002, 07:49 AM
wooohoooo!!!! im 15!! im getting an ibook today hopefully, so...
but, on my PC right now i download Music, Play Games(that run on a P233), go on the net, and develop.

Cappy
Jun 25, 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by MikeH
Sorry, but it sounds a terrible idea.

Aim an advert at kids and instantly turn off the 'young adult' market. People who are 18-24 don't want to be associated with kids and as these are the people with the most disposable cash (no wife, kids, mortgage etc.) they are the last ones you want to turn away.

After some superb Apple adverts in the past (1984, so powerful it's weapon, think different), this latest batch of 'real people' adverts just seem like sickley trash.

Flame away...

No flames. Just pointing out that this is really only an issue if the advertising is targetted at the crowd you describe. Do a lot of 18-24 yr olds hang out on Nickelodeon and such? Read the same mags? If they do, then they have their own issues if they want to not be associated with that age group yet view the same material designed for that age group.

Lastly I think they're on to something with this Switch campaign but they're still missing one piece of the puzzle that is being discussed elsewhere in other threads and that is performance. With some decent marketing taking place people are going to "switch" back if this isn't addressed.

MikeH
Jun 25, 2002, 08:37 AM
A fair point given that children effectivly have there own TV channels these days.

It does seem that the current adverts are aimed at the US market (are they being shown elseware?) and that it seems to be working for the majority of Americans who make up most of this forum.

Maybe because I'm from the UK the distinctly American 'feel' of the ads just doesn't appeal to me. I can't see them working over here. (Incedently the UK Apple website doesn't feature the campaign)

Any other non-Americans feel the same way?

Macmaniac
Jun 25, 2002, 08:48 AM
I think what Apple wants to do is have kids see these ads then "Nag" their parents to get a mac, u would be suprised how persistant we kids can be;)
My mom looked interested but, the auditions are today and they are in San Fran which makes us on the other side of the country:(

nero007
Jun 25, 2002, 09:13 AM
I think these ads would be more targeted towards parents, not kids.

With a PC you get your children playing video games. With a Mac your kid can run wild with creativity.

They're most likely going to use kids who are intelligent, but not really on the nerdy side, and parents are going to want that from their children.

Get em a Mac and they'll be creative and smart. Get em a PC and they'll be lazy and wasting their potential away.

;)

drastik
Jun 25, 2002, 09:32 AM
<partial posting removed>:D

drastik
Jun 25, 2002, 09:35 AM
Definitely, Pc's are like bad comic books, Macs are the Library. Parents need to see that. also, most of these parents work with PCs all day long, hate the things, but know them. My step father ran a software company for 22 years, had over five hundred employees when he sold it and made a mint. Meanwhile he retires. They made scheduling and forcasting software, and were the only real players for several years. This stuff required a dedicated machine at every level of release, the current pack need a P4. They tried to write it for Apple using (A/Ux), but there was some issue. In the end, Apple just bought a toshiba to run the stuff, but my stepfather met with Jobs (first reign) and was convinced that the mac was perfect for te companies marketing department. And lo and behold, a Mac Plus appears on my desk. Still got it, it still works, boots off this massive 20 meg HD thats louder than my car.
I am 24-years-old, I have three macs right now, Ive had a dozen in the interviening 14 years. I am not ashamed to be associated with kids (anyone who is is being silly, you'd think by eighteen you'd get a grip, I know some 13, 14, and 15-year-olds around here who are ten times as mature as that.) I got a mac when I was kid, worked with PC's in business for years, still do. I never switced, I won't switch.

That's why you get the young users.:D

slaboda
Jun 25, 2002, 09:39 AM
I bought my first Mac when I was 12 years old- it was a Powerbook 180 and it cost about $3200. I had saved for 2 years and cashed in some of my savings bonds, too.

Aside from that personal anecdote, I can say that getting kids to nag their parents about wha they absolutely must have creates huge sales for toy companies. Why not Apple too? After all, my Mac is really just an expensive toy. I can't count how many times parents have asked me what computer to buy for their kid- wouldn't it be great if the kids just asked for a Mac?

drastik
Jun 25, 2002, 09:43 AM
sorry, I have no idea how I did that

G4scott
Jun 25, 2002, 09:57 AM
I don't think the ad is targeted at kids. The ad is targeted at everyone.

It appeals to parents, because their kids could be doing something more than blow things up with their computer.

It appeals to people who want to do more with their computers. "If a kid can do it easily, so can I"

It appeals to pee-cee users who can't do all of that with a pee-cee, or they can't do it easily.

wilhelmd
Jun 25, 2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by buffsldr

This is great.
So that means ... that Arn is about 12? :)

Originally posted by JereIC

never imagined I'd feel so old at 19...

"La de små barn komme til meg, hindre dem ikke". That's Norwegian, for those who don't compute it.

Dephex Twin
Jun 25, 2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MikeH
Yikes. I don't think it's that cut and dry. I'm 22, and I can say that my recent grad friends and those I still know in school are lucky to have ANY disposable income. They are just trying to either get themselves through school or pay off loans, get a job, and get established. I'm sure there are some with money to spend on things like this, but I don't know if it would be a lot more than someone with more responsibilities (but more income and stability).

mark

wake up Jobs!!!
Jun 25, 2002, 12:33 PM
I am 14, and I use my mac to do tuns of stuff!
I want to contact them, but who do I call
?

wake up Jobs!!!
Jun 25, 2002, 12:42 PM
I called them and they said I had to live in California!!!!! Nothing cool ever happens in Miami ! So I guess I can't be in Apple's adds!
They probably won't let me do it either because I did not switch to a Mac, I have allways used a Mac!!!!!:D

G4scott
Jun 25, 2002, 01:31 PM
They aren't looking for kids who have switched. They are looking for kids who use Macs in creative ways. I use my mac to put out mp3 streams for my friends, design cheesy web pages, mess with digital photos, and play around with UNIX (i had to re-install my system once! don't play around with NetInfo manager unless you know what you are doing :D ) too bad i'm too old. Last year, i made a couple of movies for my English/history class. One was about the ancient olympics, and the other was a retake of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream", as interpreted by myself and a friend of mine (a pee-cee user, but his family does have an iMac...) For the midsummer night's dream, we used the Mac's voice for all the talking! it took forever, and it kinda got boring after a while, but the intro was cool...

G4scott
Jun 25, 2002, 01:38 PM
They aren't looking for kids who have switched. They are looking for kids who use Macs in creative ways. I use my mac to put out mp3 streams for my friends, design cheesy web pages, mess with digital photos, and play around with UNIX (i had to re-install my system once! don't play around with NetInfo manager unless you know what you are doing :D ) too bad i'm too old. Last year, i made a couple of movies for my English/history class. One was about the ancient olympics, and the other was a retake of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream", as interpreted by myself and a friend of mine (a pee-cee user, but his family does have an iMac...) For the midsummer night's dream, we used the Mac's voice for all the talking! it took forever, and it kinda got boring after a while, but the intro was cool...

oasamostexianu
Jun 25, 2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by wilhelmd

So that means ... that Arn is about 12? :)

Only 90% of him. :p

DavPeanut
Jun 25, 2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by kishba
i've converted about 4 friends to macs too :)

i love apple :D
If tried to convert people, but their parents will never buy them a new computer, so they loose what I taught them about macs.

I love apple too :D

DavPeanut
Jun 25, 2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
i thought the people at macrumors where atleast in the 20's.

me too. I'm 14, so i could do it. I edit video, write stuff (some not for school), and i use it as the universal communication device. I want $500!

strider42
Jun 25, 2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by wake up Jobs!!!
I called them and they said I had to live in California!!!!!

Thats probably why they used craigslist. craigslist is such an awesome site to find stuff if you live in the san francisco bay area. It has sections for other cities, but they aren't as extensive yet. Its one of the few true grassroots kind of sites that has been really sucessful, the community at large is huge there and I can nearly almost find what I'm looking for there.

Titian
Jun 25, 2002, 04:28 PM
Apple should instead concentrate in bringing out something that professionals would buy, that means in those fields where in the last quater the greatest income losses were.

There are lots of customers and companies which are waiting for real Hi-end units. Apple could also loose them.....
Brain washing can work for the Apple-community but I don't think it will work for the rest of the world.

Its only waist of money.

oasamostexianu
Jun 25, 2002, 10:00 PM
This was posted to Teens With Macs on the MacAddict boards:

Author Topic:__ Photography shoot for Apple computer - real people
KaraG
Junior Member posted 06-25-2002 01:27 PM ___ ____ __ __
------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are working on a photography shoot in the next two weeks for Apple computer instore advertising. We are looking for 6 -10 mac savvy whiz kids who live in the NY area. The age range in 9 - 15.
We are looking for a mix of boys and girls all ethnic backgrounds.
All boys and girls must use mac in some creative way beyond homework and web surfing: kids w/ small businesses, who have websites, who mix/remix their own music, published writers, smart kids with good ideas, independent kids, young photographers, filmmakers, scientists mathematicians. You must get your parents permission, they can contact me at 212 924 3091 or at kglynn@nyc.rr.com. We are looking to do a casting in the next few days and this will be a paid job, the fee TBD. Hope to hear from you soon!!!

Don't know if it's real or not... anyone want to call?

madamimadam
Jun 25, 2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Well well! I am 13...not too far from cupertino...I use my macs to rip and mix music, and for digital photography!

Don't you feel at all insulted to be called a kid at 13, not to mention the max age of 15?

To get to the important issues
;)

MasterX (OSiX)
Jun 26, 2002, 11:54 AM
I feel old at 16.
I feel dumb with a pSAT of 1149.
I feel poor with a G4 500 and an iBook 500.

I hate you kids.

Oh and to peve the older people here the "guy" that runs Think Secret who i used to know is 16, and he used the add banner cash to buy a Pismo and later a TiBook. I want that deal darn it.

I would be the poster child for Apple if i was 2 years younger. I started with a IIGS back in the day, sharing it with my family. Loved my 6300 CD where I became a real computer user. Then in 1998 I laughed at USB's lack of devices and bought my first computer. I learend how to make web sites, use FTP, and model in 3D on that computer. It lead to my PowerMac G4 which i use DAILY now, which came with me as I learned iMovie 1 and 2 and eventually Final Cut 1, 2, and 3. I followed MacOS X from the Developer Previews and shure as heck was in the Public Beta. I've upgraded nearly every facet of all my computers- I think i had a total of 4 graphics cards for this G4. Wow OSX set me back a lot of $ now that I think about it. That and video editing. Anyway, now i'm looking for a good job so I can save for a PowerMacG5 which will me my next computer, mark my words. I will have dual processors!

scott_meinzer
Jun 26, 2002, 01:36 PM
~

drastik
Jun 26, 2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)
I feel old at 16.
I feel dumb with a pSAT of 1149.
I feel poor with a G4 500 and an iBook 500.

I hate you kids.

Oh and to peve the older people here the "guy" that runs Think Secret who i used to know is 16, and he used the add banner cash to buy a Pismo and later a TiBook. I want that deal darn it.

I would be the poster child for Apple if i was 2 years younger. I started with a IIGS back in the day, sharing it with my family. Loved my 6300 CD where I became a real computer user. Then in 1998 I laughed at USB's lack of devices and bought my first computer. I learend how to make web sites, use FTP, and model in 3D on that computer. It lead to my PowerMac G4 which i use DAILY now, which came with me as I learned iMovie 1 and 2 and eventually Final Cut 1, 2, and 3. I followed MacOS X from the Developer Previews and shure as heck was in the Public Beta. I've upgraded nearly every facet of all my computers- I think i had a total of 4 graphics cards for this G4. Wow OSX set me back a lot of $ now that I think about it. That and video editing. Anyway, now i'm looking for a good job so I can save for a PowerMacG5 which will me my next computer, mark my words. I will have dual processors!

Hey man, not to be rude, but you've had a lot of things that most people who have jobs can't afford. Don't complain about it, its just tacky. I mean, your 16 and you use a thousand dollar pro editing suite, thats a little extreme.

If you want the TiBook, start a site like Think Secret, still plenty of adverts going around.:D

QuiteSure
Jun 26, 2002, 03:25 PM
I'm a 43 year old lawyer who spends too much time on the MacRumors forum. I used to feel like I was born 20 years too soon. Now I'm beginning to feel like I was born 30 years too soon.

Inhale420
Jun 26, 2002, 03:42 PM
damn if these boards are really mostly rich 14-18 year old kids whos parents' bought them macs, i really have to take you less seriously than i did in the past.

Inhale420
Jun 26, 2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by nero007

They're most likely going to use kids who are intelligent, but not really on the nerdy side, and parents are going to want that from their children.

;)

anyone wanna bet me that all these kids are gonna be white?

kishba
Jun 26, 2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Inhale420
damn if these boards are really mostly rich 14-18 year old kids whos parents' bought them macs, i really have to take you less seriously than i did in the past.

sorry i don't fit in that group... i wish i did :)

but instead i'm a 17 year old white male who has worked a minimum wage job at a school district for several years to afford my current computer

i'm a "technician"... that title was given to me by myself to make myself feel better... in reality i fix a few computers and do a bunch crap that others in the district just don't want to do

i'm not a rich little brat by any means...

drastik
Jun 26, 2002, 04:10 PM
woah now,

I didn't mean to say that the boards are just a bunch of rich kids, all I mean is that people should be thankfull. You hear a lot of talk about burning the plastic around here and you see people drop orders the day stuff comes out. Thats great and good, but some of the younger folk have missguided ideas about all that. They'll get it eventually, when they have to get jobs themselves. Till then, let it be. Just don't go complaining about your four grand worth of set up like the rest of the world buy new stuff everyday.:;)

nero007
Jun 26, 2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Inhale420

anyone wanna bet me that all these kids are gonna be white?

I almost agree'd with you, but then thought... why? Why will they all be white?

QuiteSure
Jun 26, 2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by nero007

I almost agree'd with you, but then thought... why? Why will they all be white?

They won't be. These ads are probably also aimed at education buyers for public schools, who must cater to diverse populations.

Fightsformacs
Jun 26, 2002, 06:05 PM
Hey, I just went to the URL and the post has been deleted, anyone have the phone number or know what happened?

I wanted to try out

Sigh...

daRAT
Jun 26, 2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
I'm a 43 year old lawyer who spends too much time on the MacRumors forum. I used to feel like I was born 20 years too soon. Now I'm beginning to feel like I was born 30 years too soon.

Hell let me borrow your cane, some damn fool kid here ran off with mine! *grin*

I guess you and I will be the only ones rippin' Disco mp3's on our Macs?

(40 year old rat here)

My opinion of that ads, as someone who bought his niece and nephew thier first pc, they would not inspire me to run out the the Apple store drooling for a Mac for them.

In fairness, "Steve" and the "Cow" affect me the same way. Steve I's like to smack a good one, (thank god for mute buttons) and the Cow looks like steak to me.

BTW I am from Maine, we got the ibook's from Apple in that huge sale a few months back. I haven't heard much on it since then, but I believe the schools are quite happy.

:cool:

MasterX (OSiX)
Jun 26, 2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by drastik

Hey man, not to be rude, but you've had a lot of things that most people who have jobs can't afford. Don't complain about it, its just tacky. I mean, your 16 and you use a thousand dollar pro editing suite, thats a little extreme.

If you want the TiBook, start a site like Think Secret, still plenty of adverts going around.:D

I'm just jealous. And for the record the computer cost $3800. Took me a long time to save that much money no sh... Thankfully i split it three ways with my parents. Although i personally invested a LOT beyond that. Actually all my money went into this computer for about 3 years. Hmm. Now it's FUNNY that you can buy a $1800 mac that kills mine from Apple.com. Technology is funny that way. I'll feel much better about byself once Quartz Extreme comes out (bought a Radeon8500 a month ago. Now i'm broke.... AGAIN)

drastik
Jun 27, 2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)

I'm just jealous. And for the record the computer cost $3800. Took me a long time to save that much money no sh... Thankfully i split it three ways with my parents. Although i personally invested a LOT beyond that. Actually all my money went into this computer for about 3 years. Hmm. Now it's FUNNY that you can buy a $1800 mac that kills mine from Apple.com. Technology is funny that way. I'll feel much better about byself once Quartz Extreme comes out (bought a Radeon8500 a month ago. Now i'm broke.... AGAIN)

No doubt, I have a $2500 Mac Plus in the attic. It was a leftover from my fathers business, circa 1988 or 89, but still, sombeody shelled ot for it. Stupid dynamic inductry:D

ametfan86
Jun 27, 2002, 03:28 PM
hi all first time poster but long time reader

im a 15 year old in ny........ how do they pick the kids and how do we audition or register so to speak?

THANKS

JoeG4
Jun 28, 2002, 04:07 PM
I'm a 15 year old in CA who's been using comps for 5 years and switched to a mac in september..

where do I sign up for this?! :-D

(they did say in CA right?!)

Anyhoot I saved up and put together all the money I had at the time (7k) to get my g4 with cinema display, and love to use it for running my site (talesmud.com), mud which is heavy on C code, and such! :-D

Now where do I go?

JoeG4
Jun 28, 2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by wake up Jobs!!!
I called them and they said I had to live in California!!!!! Nothing cool ever happens in Miami ! So I guess I can't be in Apple's adds!
They probably won't let me do it either because I did not switch to a Mac, I have allways used a Mac!!!!!:D

What number did you call? i'm about to call the Apple HQ

Fightsformacs
Jun 29, 2002, 03:58 AM
I went to Nancy's casting and found out by the time most of us read this article, it was too late, auditions were Tuseday and Wensday. I called and said that they found what they needed for now, but Apple wasn't exactly happy with intrest and might be looking for more kids. Keep your eye out...

JoeG4
Jun 29, 2002, 06:20 AM
dang.

Well it is back and fourth, but that really sucks, I kinda wished they would have tried a bit better ;(

aafuss1
Jul 1, 2002, 12:11 AM
Has Apple Australia decided whether to use the Real People ads in our country?

madamimadam
Jul 1, 2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by aafuss1
Has Apple Australia decided whether to use the Real People ads in our country?

Apple is currently looking for Australians to put into an Australian campaign. Australian campaigns are never as big as their US counter-parts but we should keep our eyes open.

Check out the Australian site here (http://www.apple.com.au/switch/)

aafuss1
Jul 1, 2002, 12:42 AM
I use a Mac and a PC-so I'm submitting my experience to Apple Aus. So they are going to use rhe switch ads here?