PDA

View Full Version : iPod headphones vs. dock audio

stoid
Apr 20, 2004, 12:50 PM
I have the low-end 10GB 3rd generation iPod, and I've noticed that when I connect my JBL Creature II speakers to the headphone port the audio does not get much volume. In order to listen to my music at a decent volume, I have to have my laptop headphone jack plugged into the speakers, thus tying me down and negating the purpose of a portable laptop. I was wondering if docking up the iPod would give it full volume?

Something about line-out vs headphone jack I'm guessing...

wPod
Apr 20, 2004, 01:34 PM
im kinda confused as to what you are trying to acomplish. if you want true portability just wear earphones and you can go anywhere with your iPod. but should you decide to plug your iPod in somwhere (thus tying you to the speakers) keep this in mind. . . .

the volume control and sound check on the iPod limits the total output volume through the headphone jack. i plug my 1st gen iPod into my cars stereo using the headphone jack but the volume must be turned almost all the way up (turning the volume up ALL the way will cause distortion). ideally what you need is a line out. which provides a constant higher volume output. the cool thing about the 3rd gen iPods is you can buy the dock and there is an instant line out on the dock. no matter what your volume adjustment on the iPod the line out will be constant. so get the dock, plug your JBL speakers into the dock and just pop your iPod into the dock and youre set. . . . the next thing you will want is an IR remote to control your iPod from across the room as you roam with you laptop while your iPod sits with your speakers.

parrothead
Apr 20, 2004, 03:01 PM
Wpod got it right, the line out on the dock is designed to give you better quality sound for hooking your iPod to speakers or a stereo system. If you are looking for portability in speakers (i.e. dont want to have to plug them in) then you have two options. You can get the small, low wattage battery powered speakers or you can try to find a set of USB powered speakers. I have been looking for some USB speakers for a while. My powerbook is great, but the tiny speakers in it just aren't loud enough for listening to anything while on the road. I finally found some USB powered speakers a few weeks ago. These are speakers that do not have to be plugged in and they do not need batteries. I found them at Benwin.com. The wattage seems to be good (40w) and the speakers look good. I wrote to Benwin and they said these speakers are coming out in the next month. I will probably start a thread here when I get some to let people know how they sound. Obviously the one downfall for USB speakers is that they can't be used to play music through the iPod. Hope this helps.

Riff
May 21, 2004, 08:57 AM
I was having volume problems with my iPod when i rode my motorcycle. I couldn't hear over the wind noise. After reading some posts and lurking in the forums, I decided to hunt for a small amplifier. I found a product called the "Boostaroo." (No, I'm not getting kinky) It's a little portable amplifier and splitter (about the size of a candy bar) and it gives a nice volume boost. It has 3 jacks so it can power speakers or headphones, and because I can keep the volume down on the iPod, I don't get any distortion.

It's sort of a handy little device. I found it on the web at boostaroo.com so you can check it out and see if it would help.

The only downside is that it would be nice to have a smaller unit for the iPod, but still, its small enough to fit in my shirt pocket - so it's no big deal. :cool:

wide
May 21, 2004, 03:09 PM
I was having volume problems with my iPod when i rode my motorcycle.

No wonder you couldn't hear it very well then. That boostaroo thing is pretty cool tho..