Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quanton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
which is going to be faster for video/dvd rendering and general use?

Black mackbook with 2.4 processor, 800 fsb or
New white macbook with 2.0 processor, 1066 fsb.
both have same ram speed 667 right?

thanks

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
I love my black MacBook, but the new graphics configuration, especially since it looks like you will be using it, is worth it.

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I wonder why Apple won't make it available in Black? Updating the White Macbook is great, what's the bid deal with just making a black casing? Or is it that they are afraid an updated black macbook would just ravage sales of the Unibody macbook? I think it would.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
you can get more power in a blackbook (2.4 GHz if i remember correctly) than you can with the newer whitebook.

i would personally go with the black, just because i don't really notice that big of a difference to let go of almost half a gigahertz of processing power.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I wonder why Apple won't make it available in Black? Updating the White Macbook is great, what's the bid deal with just making a black casing? Or is it that they are afraid an updated black macbook would just ravage sales of the Unibody macbook? I think it would.

If you remember correctly, black wasn't always around. Before the MacBook, the iBook was only available in white.

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada
Depends on your usage. If its anything to do with graphics, 100% go with a new white (here graphics is being defined as graphics, gaming, video... basically anything with pictures that may or may not move). I know that when watching even a youtube video on my blackbook, the fans start roaring.

Anything else, i'd go with a blackbook. Slightly faster processor, but it has a certain distinction about it that sets it apart from other laptops.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I'd probably buy a new or refurbished NVidia whitey and change the case with stuff found on ebay, probably spending around 200$. Selling the white parts should cover some of the expenses.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
White MacBook

My Black MacBook sucks for high graphic stuff. I regret not getting a MacBook Pro.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan

Nobody would buy it. You would be paying $300 purely for the case and larger HDD ($1299) for less specs than the same priced aluminum unibody.

OP, my recommendation is for you to buy a refurb 2.4GHz Aluminum for $1299 when it gets back into the refurb store. Upgrade to a 7k320 HDD and 4GB of RAM. You have yourself a nice little machine.

fewture

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2006
its a hard one

Anything to do with graphics, don't bother with blackbook (I have one and its slow as hell and its greatest downfall)

But if you are not into the white one aesthetically and like black one more, well I would be with you on that.

Oh yeah aluminium refurb would be nice ;) (best choice imo)

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I wonder if they will bring out black unibody MBs? Like the iPods, now that'd be cool.

OP - White, the processor drop need not bother you, I went from a 2.4 BlackBook to a 1.6 MacBook Air, and it still runs the same, except for games, which run better! The processor speed is not the most important factor anymore.

relativist

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
I just upgraded from the 2.4GHz last gen macbook (white) with 4GB ram, to a 2.0GHz current gen (white) with 4GB ram (transfered). Xbench is higher, 76 to 116. So far I like it much better, even with the slightly smaller hard drive, which i'm going to upgrade as soon as the 500GB 7200rpm seagate drive is available again.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I just upgraded from the 2.4GHz last gen macbook (white) with 4GB ram, to a 2.0GHz current gen (white) with 4GB ram (transfered). Xbench is higher, 76 to 116. So far I like it much better, even with the slightly smaller hard drive, which i'm going to upgrade as soon as the 500GB 7200rpm seagate drive is available again.

Hi relativist. Do you really find the new whitebook's performance better than the last 2.4 ghz model? Main thing I am looking for is multi-tasking ability i.e. lots of tabs open, safari, excel, word, itunes, and minimal beach balls.

I'm unsure if the new nvidia graphics would in this case be better than the faster 2.4 ghz processor.

Could someone with knowledge on this issue please chime in? I heard the plastic macbooks are durable machines and so I'll like to take this a long with me on work trips in developing countries overseas rather than my unibody macbook pro. Need to buy tomorrow so somebody please share your thoughts. thanks!

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Hi relativist. Do you really find the new whitebook's performance better than the last 2.4 ghz model? Main thing I am looking for is multi-tasking ability i.e. lots of tabs open, safari, excel, word, itunes, and minimal beach balls.

I'm unsure if the new nvidia graphics would in this case be better than the faster 2.4 ghz processor.

Could someone with knowledge on this issue please chime in? I heard the plastic macbooks are durable machines and so I'll like to take this a long with me on work trips in developing countries overseas rather than my unibody macbook pro. Need to buy tomorrow so somebody please share your thoughts. thanks!

Multitasking has more to do with RAM than CPU. The unibody MBs max out at 6GB vs. 4GB in previous models. The difference between the CPUs is not that much anyway.

If you already have a unibody MBP the polycarbonate MB is not that much more portable. The weight differences are small.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
appreciate the prompt response brop52. Weight isn't an issue for me. I just don't want to carry my expensive unibody MBP out into the field etc. I was considering a netbook but I love OS X and sure I could hackintosh one..but their specs are still not quite a full notebook such as the macbook.

So it's a tough decision. The alu macbooks aren't in consideration at all because price is a major factor for me. Cheaper is better. Therefore, I am wondering if it's worth getting the new whitebook for $1200 incl. tax vs a previous gen on craigslist for $1000 or a netbook at $700.

decisions decisions heh

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Why not buy a refurb 2GHz Alum MB for $1099? Or wait around for another polycarbonate MB to come into the refurb store? Though I see you are in Canada so the prices may be different for example it says $1199 for the 2GHz Alum.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
i've always liked refurbs. However, in this case: the whitebook with edu discount is still cheaper than the refurb alu. Plus, I feel as if the polycarbonate is tougher/more durable for traveling off the well beaten track making it more attractive to me. Unibody will also be more attractive to thieves heh idk correct me if i'm wrong because I don't want to be making any hasty decisions. $1200 is still quite a bit of money for me.

Update: After some research done using google and reading other threads on the forum. I've come to the conclusion that power performance wise, the cpu difference between the current whitebook and previous gen is negligible with the faster graphics and frontside bus making up for it? Am i correct in coming to this conclusion? If so I might just spring for it then and pick up some more ram for it and maybe a larger HDD. Does anyone know if the whitebook can handle a HDD that spins at 7200 rpm? or will the heat kill it?

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
The new MB (white and obviously Alu) are better than previous MBs, without a doubt. But if you are looking for an inexpensive computer that can have a lot of tabs open and safari, etc, then I would suggest getting a used MB. You can pick one up for the$700 cost of the netbook you mentiond, just make sure to load up the RAM.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
The White MBs can handle 7200 RPM drives just fine but they still don't handle heat as well as the Aluminum by design. This is a part of the reason their polycarbonate cracks.

quanton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
you guys rule!
thanks so much for all the inputs on this thread...i'm sorry i couldn't reply sooner ( i got eastered while being taxed...)

i'll definitely get the white macbook (with owc ram upgrades of course...)

thanks-

quanton

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.