Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I can't find a more appropriate forum for this topic so I'll just post it here. Last night, I started downloading a torrent of a custom Linux distro (not the standard ones) on my MacBook. I finished it sometime early this morning. Trouble was the ISO file was chopped into little RAR files. So I transfered the file to one of my Dad's netbooks to unRAR the files. I got issues because apparently, Lenovo formats their S10 netbook drives using FAT32. FAT32 doesn't support single files over 4GB in size. My file was a little over 4GB. And even if I could, my microSD (8GB) was FAT32 formatted and couldn't transfer my 4GB+ file back to my Mac for burning.

It's the little things that make me stick to Apple and their awesome Macs. Windows is fine, but there are WAY TOO many variables out in the field. Amen Steve Jobs. Amen.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
the FAT32 file size limit is OS independent, it doesn't matter if your on windows or osx the limit of FAT32 has nothing to do with it.

Pretty much all computers I've dealt with running windows have their drives formatted as NTFS which doesn't have the limit. seems weird that lenova formatted it as fat32.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
the FAT32 file size limit is OS independent, it doesn't matter if your on windows or osx the limit of FAT32 has nothing to do with it.

Pretty much all computers I've dealt with running windows have their drives formatted as NTFS which doesn't have the limit. seems weird that lenova formatted it as fat32.

Well they formatted the main drive as FAT32 and the Backup drive as NTFS. I didn't want to mess around with the Backup drive because in case of a reformat, the data needed is in that drive.

I think that FAT32 has a 4GB limit in whichever OS you run. All of the Windows boxes I've use that had FAT32 had a 4GB per file size limit. It's the file system not the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.