Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
M
My PowerBook G4 (15" 1.67Ghz) is currently on the fritz. I replaced the HD and now it is having problems starting up. I tried to start up the machine off of the install CDs (holding c) but the screen remained black (I hear the start up chime). I finally got it to boot off of the CD but the computer did not recognize the new HD. When I formatted the drive with the disk utility (Mac OS Extended/Journal), the install recognized the disk but there was a red ! saying this drive will not work. So I decided to restart the computer, at which I am back to the black screen and not booting off of the cd drive.

Thanks for any help.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It could be the computer not liking the HDD. Would you have the old HDD still on hand? You might want to try the old HDD and see if everything boots smoothly. If you don't have the old HDD (dead), make sure that the new HDD is compatible. Do you get any preboot icons or beeps?

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
M
The old HD was dead (which I was I replaced it). I will try out the hardware test CDs. Could this be a bad logic board? Also, how do I make sure the new HDD is compatible? It was the same size at type (Ultra ATA100) as the old drive.

Edit: Just got the computer to boot off the install disks. Currently in the process of installing OS X.

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
M
I got to the end of the install process and it asked me to restart the computer, which I did. However, it would not restart (only saw the black screen). I shut down the computer (forced) and tried to reboot. I hear the start up chime but once again am only greeted with a black screen. Any ideas on what is going on. I feel like the HDD is no longer the problem.

iMacSE500

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
M
Did you try the apple hardware test?

I can only find my first install disk and a black Tiger disk which came with the computer. Not that it really matters because my current install disk is stuck in the drive and will not eject because the computer is not starting back up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.