Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Hey guys, I have been having issues with my iPod Touch and connecting to WiFi. At home I have no problem, but at other hotspots, frequently it will show that it is connected with full bars in the settings, but at the top of the screen it shows no bars, and when I try to go online, it says it's not connected. I don't understand, if it says it's connected, how it then ISN'T connected.

Anyone have an issue with this? As I said, at home I have zero problems, it connects no problem and never disconnects.

newtype2011

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
The iDevices do that. When you first connect to a router, it instantly says it's full bars (in the little blue icon) even though it might actually be 2, 1, etc.

This is exactly what is happening to my 2nd Gen iPod Touch; first connects with 3 bars, then promptly drops to 1 after a minute or two.

Is there any remedy for this? In my home network, it has never done this before and now it will connect and not allow me to use the internet at full reception.

Before anyone suggests that it may be my network, everything else is working flawlessly on my home wifi connection:

PSP
3 Wifi-equipped Nokia devices
Laptop
USB Connected Computer

Any tips at all would be extremely useful.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Its probably the hotspot.

A lot of hotspots require they're own login and you have to open up a blank browser page in order to log in after registering.

Your device will show connected because you can connect to that hotspot, but you have no internet because you need to log in through the hotspots portal.

This is my guess by the sounds of what you describe and would be the most logical reason why it works at home and not elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.