Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One aspect of the Wall Street Journal article published today that we failed to mention in our previous coverage was that Apple is indeed working on a new type of device.

According to The Wall Street Journal's sources, Apple is working on a portable device that is "smaller than its current laptop computers but bigger than the iPhone or iPod Touch."

No other details were provided but there have been ongoing rumors that Apple has been working on either a tablet or netbook device. In fact, some reports even combine the two concepts into a single touchscreen device. Netbooks traditionally resemble smaller laptop computers and typically include a keyboard. Apple's ongoing research into multi-touch, however, has generated speculation that Apple may incorporate more advanced gesturing into a future device.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Also Overseeing Apple Tablet or Netbook Device?

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone 3G 16GB White: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'd be really interested at what price point they would offer such a device. Netbooks usually fall in the $300 price range. A multi touch netbook would surely cost more than that.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
A touch device based on Mac OS X would require a lot of reworking the underlying GUI. Such a device can't really be "released to the masses" without developer input and retooling.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Will this ever stop?

Didn't apple say they weren't interested in the netbook segment? since no one seems to care I'll go ahead and say 'bout time... Everyone else has one and they seem to be popular. I really liked the MacBook Mini hoax on april fools day, looked pretty legit. I'd guess $500 for an apple netbook.

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
I'm still a skeptic. Apple would be competing in a market of:
  • Bigger than can fit in your pocket
  • Smaller than useful as a regular computer
  • Extremely low price point

Netbooks achieve, in a larger form factor, nothing more than an iPhone or other modern smartphone. The screen size is a plus over the iPhone, at the expense of having a device that isn't nearly as portable.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I'd be really interested at what price point they would offer such a device. Netbooks usually fall in the $300 price range. A multi touch netbook would surely cost more than that.

I was thinking the same. I am more inclined to think Apple is working on a tablet-like device and not a netbook as such. I don't see apple entering the 'cheap' laptop market, not that I have any insider information, but i just doesn't sound very Apple to do so. A touch-based tablet with a screen around 10" would open a new market i think, as the current tablets are somewhat lackluster - and the investment Apple is making in touch technology has to be more than just for the iPhone/iPod touch.

Don't know if we will see at the WWDC or not, but that would bea great time to show the advancements made in their touch technology an get it into the hands of developers for a Christmas launch of the new device?

I can hope!

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I'm would be pretty interested in such a device. Something easier to lug around then a full laptop for a commute to work would be nice every once in a while.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I wish they were working on a 7 or 8" tablet style device. Something I could easily use around the house instead of my laptop for basic broswing to look something up or to control itunes (or even the tv and other devices). To hook up to VOIP for calls to would be nice. A cool device that is fairly inexpensive for apple to enter into the home would be great in my book.

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007

Netbooks achieve, in a larger form factor, nothing more than an iPhone or other modern smartphone. The screen size is a plus over the iPhone, at the expense of having a device that isn't nearly as portable.

UNLESS.................,

unless Steve is able to solve this problem and somehow make this device have a larger screen AND still be very pocketable. Oh my, how would one be able to make such a device? *puts finger to lips like dr. evil* :D

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If an iPhone, unsubsidized, runs $499, you can bet this is going to be in the $799 range, which is a good chunk of change. Furthermore, what if they make it a relatively closed-system like the iPhone? I wouldn't want a device that would not be an entirely free-standing system (not needing to be sync'd all the time). It would also need to have user-assessible storage, need to be able to send documents to a printer natively, and also be able to load any programs you want to put on it. These are all possible with a regular Mac, but not the iPhone. I don't want to pay $799 for just a larger version of the iPhone.

APPLE ROCKZ

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
wow that would be sooo cool if Apple Did Have a Netbook And It Looks Like It's Going to happen=)

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009

That's my problem... is there a market for a 8-10" touchscreen? As far as I can imagine, touch screens are useless for any real productive use (notes, presentations, etc.). Apple must be designing this touch thingy for a particular type of consumer... but who?

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Worth mentioning the Crunchpad.

Picture:
photo3_2.jpg

Specs:
Atom
512 Ram
4gb SSD
WiFi

Price? $300.

Forum link for that discussion.

I think something like this is what Apple make. Slap an Apple logo on it, iPhone OS and a dock connector. Sell it for $399-$499 and we're good.

No more, No less.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
This will be ideal for me....
I thought about it and thought about, my MBA has literally been sitting in its pretty little case for almost a year (Taken out to do the necessary updates when they come out.)I rarely use it, because I feel its even too big compared to what I can get done on the iPhone when im out or traveling. Something a little larger than an iPhone and smaller than my MBA would be nice.
I told my wife if one does come out (Either one) Ill be selling my MBA with all the goodies and extras I purchased with it and purchase 3 of the new device for myself,wife,and teenage daughter...WhooT!
Cant wait to see what is released!

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
If an iPhone, unsubsidized, runs $499, you can bet this is going to be in the $799 range, which is a good chunk of change.

Exactly, the price of the iphone/ipod touch should give a great guide to the price of the tablet. I want the tablet instead of the netbook we saw a few days back. It's more 'Apple like' for them to show consumers how a netbook should be done. Not to mention it shows everyone how much better Apple knows multi-touch technology.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007

Well said.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I hope it'll still have a keyboard -- coz it's really heavy to carry a macbook to uni to get some work done, while a multi touch tablet wont be practical and will zoom up the price... i hope it'll be a standard netbook that packs the basic necessities to get SOME WORK DONE, efficiently, coz my brother has a lenovo netbook and it looks light enough to carry around with loads of books and can still write up assignments with that thing.

Ghost Doc

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
you guys think this tablet/netbook idea could be the new iphone hardware update in June? i think its a possibility and hear me out: Apple has mentioned publically that they are not interested in the netbook market many times. Why the sudden change of heart, especially with the success of iPhone and iPod Touch. Its practically a netbook, only more portable. maybe Apple will make the new iPhone hardware a bit larger in screen with a slide keyboard (again, making the device a little larger, more like a netbook). It'll be a device thats the best of both worlds, allowing Apple to release one device rather than two newbies that have the potential to cannibalize eachother.... merely food for thought

Scdavis23

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
What about a subsidy?

What if a company such as AT&T subsidized the device? Wouldn't this then allow Apple to release a high end product with a lower price tag?

Lancelot9201

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Apple Needs To Address Their Antiquated Pricing structure.

I'm to the point where I'm less interested in what Apple is going to release & more concerned with when are they going to address their antiquated pricing structure. Everyone knows that 99% of their hardware is the exact same thing all other manufacturers are using, & unfortunately for us we're still paying proprietary prices. I got so excited when Apple went to an Intel chip thinking that I'd see a reduction in prices across the board, but that never occurred. Every product that they've updated, upgraded or introduced recently has been a good 30% over other similar products. I don't mind paying extra for good construction, looks & the OS X operating system but come on this is getting ridiculous.. Take their new "Time Capsule", no way is the 1tb model worth $400 (new reduced price) when there are other true NAS systems that you can buy with double that amount of storage. Obviously my love affair with Apple is over until I see myself getting better value for my dollar..:mad:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I just don't ever see people walking around with netbooks or tablets. I don't know anyone who owns one nor do I ever hear people discussing a need for them. IMO, this whole market segment is more overblown and more loaded with artificial hype than a Van Halen reunion tour.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I think something like this is what Apple make. Slap an Apple logo on it, iPhone OS and a dock connector. Sell it for $399-$499 and we're good.

No more, No less.

Why would Apple sell a larger more powerful machine - one that is not tied to a lengthy expensive contract - for the same price as the iPhone or Touch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.