Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Huge noob question, I have a macbook with these specs
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

and am looking to upgrade RAM. I'm not exactly sure what to search since RAM brings up way too many results. How much RAM can I put in my computer, I know the new ones can take 4GB but what about the older whitebooks? This should stop the beachball from coming up so often along with improving performance right? What do you guys recommend put in and where do most of you buy from?

Thanks

Last edited:

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I've always used Crucial brand memory in my Macs and they have never let me down. I'd recommend using Crucial's memory search program to find out what type of memory is best suited for your Macbook as well as how much it can hold.

http://www.crucial.com/

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
how do I figure out my Macbook model number? Something like MA######

MA700LL/A. I already gave you the link to the correct RAM. ;)

is it quality though? So If I were to just upgrade to 2 it wouldn't use all 2GB, just curious but why doesn't it use it all?

It is quality RAM. I've upgraded a lot of notebooks with the G.Skill 2X2GB RAM. It won't use 4GB because that's the hardware limitation set by Apple. It uses about 3.3GB. If you upgrade to 2GB it would be able to use all of it but because you have shared VRAM it is actually slightly less than 2GB. You might as well upgrade to 4GB as the price difference is negligible. $22.99 for 2X1GB.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
could I upgrade to three haha. But for a little over $10 I might as well upgrade to four. Thanks for all the help.

JustOneQuickONe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
so I kept putting it off and now the price went up... not by much but any idea on why it went up or when it'll come back down. I'm a poor college kid so that ten dollars goes pretty far :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.