Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manmeet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
India
Hi, I am manmeet. I am having a macbook and I copied a game "tony hawk pro skater 4" from my previous emac. But when I run it, it will say that the application tony hawk pro skater 4 quit unexpectedly and it gives me three options
1 ignore
2 report
3 relaunch

When I click relaunch, It shows the same message!

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
You can't usually just copy a game from one Mac to another, you'll need the original disc as it probably installs various files into the system/library folders.

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
You can copy it over perfectly fine. However first you will need to create an archive of it or a zip image of it. So what you will have to do is find the main game folder, right click it and either "compress," or create "archive" of it. Then bring that compressed file over to your new macbook. Let me know how that works.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
You can copy it over perfectly fine. However first you will need to create an archive of it or a zip image of it.
That doesn't make any sense, you don't need to zip it. But, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to reinstall the game from the original disc. That's one of the first things to try.

I would check that you Mac can run the game too. If the game is older, it might not be made to run on an Intel Mac and/or have problems with newer versions of OS X. Check to see if there have been any patches released.

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
Actually there have been problems transferring files especially games from computer to computer if you dont zip the entire folder. You can test it yourself. Send one game to your other computer unzipped and it will have the same result as he is describing. If you compress the entire folder and send it, the game will run perfectly fine.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Actually there have been problems transferring files especially games from computer to computer if you dont zip the entire folder. You can test it yourself. Send one game to your other computer unzipped and it will have the same result as he is describing. If you compress the entire folder and send it, the game will run perfectly fine.

Unless you are doing some kind of ASCII ftp transfer over systems with different encoding, or the transfer is failing mid way because some file is corrupted, I can't see it happening :)
At most, you will get a faster transfer speed because of the overhead in packeting individual files, but once the files arrive to their destination, it matters nothing how the files were formatted (keep in mind we are talking Mac to Mac transfer over afp here).
If it doesn't run, it might very well be because of a preference file stored somewhere else in your computer. It will have absolutely nothing to do with the fact you compressed it first or not.

Update: looking into the problem a little deeper, it seems the game in question was last updated in October 2003, supporting up to OS X 10.3. Even Aspyr's Game Agent doesn't mention the game. Being this the case, there is a high probability that it won't run on an Intel Mac natively.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
hi and welcome.

one of the problems you may experience is that if THPS 4 is the one that came with the computer you will need a certain config file in the system. and put that file in the exact place on the new computer.
that registers the game to that computer. because it was a game that came with the computer and not retail. if it's retail i have no idea sorry.

edit: just looked at the universal binary game list and it shows

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 Aspyr PowerPC 1.0.2 Won't install on Leopard 10.5. Installer won't accept serial number.

but THPS 3 works

http://guides.macrumors.com/Universal_Binary_Games

Snowfoe

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
Tennessee
Im not sure i could be incorrect in my statement but it seems that whenever i try and run mac games that were not made to run on Leopard but for older Os X's such as Panther or Tiger they seem to not run as good as they would on older Os X's an example of this would be Halo: Combat Evolved. Im not sure why this is it may be a compatibilty issue between the new Os x's and Leopard Or newer Mac computers.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Odd. I've used both the UB and PPC-only versions, and the UB is definitely faster on Intel hardware than the PPC version is on PPC hardware for me.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
You can't usually just copy a game from one Mac to another, you'll need the original disc as it probably installs various files into the system/library folders.

Mac games almost never do that. Most of them are drag'n'drop.

--Eric

appledyl

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
USA
Email the manufacturer and ask them what version you should download, then download it. The business is nearly always right.

paricleman

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
what?

...what's a cider shell? This is my first mac, so I'm used to all games working for my computer.

manmeet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
India
Thanks for your reply but the same thing is happening but I think that you are saying to again copy by zipping it but I had to sell my emac!
So can you or anyone help me because I love that game!!!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Thanks for your reply but the same thing is happening but I think that you are saying to again copy by zipping it but I had to sell my emac!
So can you or anyone help me because I love that game!!!

Install it from the CD

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That doesn't make any sense, you don't need to zip it. But, it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to reinstall the game from the original disc. That's one of the first things to try.

Actually you do, or at least I had to. I installed a new HDD on my iMac and it threw up an error when trying to copy my .app files from the backup drive to the new drive. I had to archive the file on the backup, drag it onto my iMac and then unarchive it. Or the quick route was to copy the files using Bootcamp and Macdrive.

OP be sure to copy both library folders over too.

manmeet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
India
Actually you do, or at least I had to. I installed a new HDD on my iMac and it threw up an error when trying to copy my .app files from the backup drive to the new drive. I had to archive the file on the backup, drag it onto my iMac and then unarchive it. Or the quick route was to copy the files using Bootcamp and Macdrive.

**** man, on the manual, it's written that it work on imac g4 and e-mac only!

manmeet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
India
simple

**** man, on the manual, it's written that it work on imac g4 and e-mac only!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.