Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I've had multiple video play back issues on my Mini and have read some people do, some people don't.

I have one of the very first '09's. I had bought the older model 15 days before the new one came out so Apple swapped it for me.

2.0ghz, 1 gig of ram.

When I first got it there was a bad burning smell that came from it for 2-3 days. I primarily ran XP on it as a data recovery system. Even XP wasn't right. It was slow, slower than my D620 Dell which is just a Core Duo 1.8ghz, not even a Core 2.

I compare it to the Dell laptop since the Mini is just laptop parts stuffed in a box.

I downloaded Plex and really liked the interface so a few nights go I hooked it upto our 47" 1080p in the bedroom via DVI and analog audio.

We downloaded Kings Episode 1 from iTunes and it played back flawlessly. After playing around with Plex I was ready to go buy another Mini for our living room.

Then the problems started. I can deal with XP being slow because the only thing I do with it is run data recovery software that will not run under Vista.

We had trouble downloading the rest of the seaons of Kings, and this is related to iTunes since the problem duplicated on our PC's.

Figured we'll watch it off of NBC's website which I believe is Flash. The video was jerky and played back poorly.

We have a 16mbps pipe coming in the house and all Gigabit wired network, so bandwidth was not my issue. Played back fine on my laptop or desktop.

Finally got frustrated and grabbed the season from another source :) Those played back fine but they were lower quality and I put them directly on the mini.

We tried to watch some 480p content off of our server and the video was jerky, just the video. The audio was fine but the video kept skipping around. They are MP4's that play fine on every other device.

I'm serving them off of a 64 bit Win2K8 server, 2.5ghz Quad Core, 10,000rpm SAS drives, 16 gigs of ram, and gigabit connection. I get 100mb per second copying data from the server to my desktop PC so I know speed is not the issue.

I finally copied a file onto the Mini and the problem continued.

This was via Plex or Front Row, same problem.

I have the resolution set to 1366x768. Its a 1080p TV but I didn't have a dual link DVI cable handy so I had to drop the resolution down. Connected via the Displayport to DVI converter.

There has to be some reason why some play back and some don't.

I ordered 4 gigs of ram for it but I don't want to take it all apart if I'm going to need to swap it out.

I'm reloading the OS right now, does it always take 2+ hours to do?

dn325ci

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Disclaimer: I'm a newbie to macs.

I have a fairly new iMac 24 2.8 with the Nvidia 512GB 8800. Yesterday I was watching an MP4 which looked like total crap. Extremely blocky. I had encoded this MP4 myself using handbrake from a PBS show mpg recorded originally on my DVR. The PBS show was SD but WS.

I played the same MP4 on my 3 year old PC laptop, and it looked great. So I messed around with Plex settings to try to improve the quality, but nothing really worked. It's strange because Plex plays HD MKV's very nicely.

I could not resolve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.