Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan McCanical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
I'm going to be buying a 12" powerbook, a 17" display, and a keyboard and mouse so when I'm at home its like I have a desktop. One question though.. how can you close up the powerbook and turn the screen off without actually turning the computer off (so the signal still goes to thelarger screen)? Thanks!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
[Edit: Ignore this post in loo of what was writen above]

I'll be doing what your doing, I just bought my 12" Referb today. Back when I was Eniregnat (a dyslexic tangerinE iBook user), the Insomnia plug-in was popular. The fear was that the life of the processor would be shortened if people ran the computer wile closed. From the posts I read over the years, running the computer wile closed never did any damage.

The PB's are different. The 12" runs the coolest of the 3 models, but it's still pretty hot to me. It is almost uncomfortably hot, even when open. I would not recommend it, even if you find a way to do it. In short, get a iCurve , or something to help with air circulation, and to give yourself a place to stoe the keyboard. I hope you had the cash for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm planning to do the same thing soon with my rev. B powerbook 12". I've never heard of the heat being a problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.