Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CreatorOfMyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Hello all. My current project involves a complex structure of files in a library to make everything fit together nicely. It's great and all, but the problem arises from when I update an image at the bottom of the stack. This causes a link to need to be updated in every one of my files.

Image -> Small Adobe indesign file -> Large indesign file

I have a pic in an Indesign file that's in an Indesign file. All of these files are linked, not embedded (and I want it to stay that way!!)

If I change the image file and then try to print the large indesign file, it warns me saying that a link needs to be updated. I want it to print with the updated version of my linked image, but that requires me to first open the small indesign file, click update links, and save it. Then I can do that same in the large file and everything's fine and dandy.

My problem is that I have hundreds of files that use that image. If I change it I have to go through all those files clicking update and then save / close. Is there any way to make InDesign automatically update all links, including links within a linked file?

Sorry if this is confusing....

efxgraphx

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Hello all. My current project involves a complex structure of files in a library to make everything fit together nicely. It's great and all, but the problem arises from when I update an image at the bottom of the stack. This causes a link to need to be updated in every one of my files.

Image -> Small Adobe indesign file -> Large indesign file

I have a pic in an Indesign file that's in an Indesign file. All of these files are linked, not embedded (and I want it to stay that way!!)

If I change the image file and then try to print the large indesign file, it warns me saying that a link needs to be updated. I want it to print with the updated version of my linked image, but that requires me to first open the small indesign file, click update links, and save it. Then I can do that same in the large file and everything's fine and dandy.

My problem is that I have hundreds of files that use that image. If I change it I have to go through all those files clicking update and then save / close. Is there any way to make InDesign automatically update all links, including links within a linked file?

Sorry if this is confusing....

Are you working with a master file? If it was set up with a master then you would update it once and it would be done...... Maybe im confused... did a google search as well and got this link.... not sure if it will help.

CreatorOfMyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for the link. Those are some helpful tips. Unfortunately they don't answer my problem. Let me try to make this a little bit more clear by explaining what I'm doing.

I have 3 collections of files.

Collection 1 - a bunch of images used in my files.

Collection 2 - these are indesign files of unique cards I designed for a card game I'm making. Each one using several of the image files from the above category. Each one of these files is completely unique from the others.

Collection 3 - these are indesign files that contain a bunch of indesign files from the above collection. I dragged the files into indesign, creating a new document with many cards in it, aka a deck of cards. These files are simply made up of links back to the cards, not the actual cards themselves.

As you can see from this, collection 2 files (the cards) contain links back to collection 1 images, and collection 3 files (decks) contains links back to collection 2 files (cards). The problem is that if I change an image in collection 1, several collection 2 files will need to have links updated, which then causes several collection 3 files to need to have their links updated as well.

Opening a collection 3 file and clicking update links won't work until I've updated all the collection 2 files used in the opened file. I could go through every collection 2 file and update the links, but this is a very mundane and time consuming problem, since each collection contains hundreds of files.

I was wondering if there is any more efficient method by which to have indesign update the links?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.