Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Ok, I have been dealing with this problem for the past few days and I am all out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently using an 80gb classic with firmware 1.1.2 on an OS X machine running 10.5.6 and iTunes 8.1.1. A few days ago I decided to clean out a lot of unnecessary music from my library and do a full auto sync with my iPod (I was previously doing a manual sync). In the same sitting I also updated my iTunes firmware to 8.1.1. I did a full restore of my iPod and started to do a full sync of all 65gb of my music. The sync stopped at about 2500 songs and the iPod hung and iTunes was being non-responsive.

I was able to soft reset my iPod while it was plugged in so that I could eject it. No music had actually transferred to the iPod. So I plugged it back in and started to do a manual sync, dragging and dropping all of my music in there little by little. This would work for a little while but once I got my iPod to 10gb full it would hang again.

In the situations where it hangs I have no choice but to do the soft reset and unplug it. There are times when I plug my iPod in and it says that it is corrupted, so I restore it and the same thing happens.

- I have done multiple full restores on this iPod
- I have time machined back to before installing 8.1.1 and the problem persists.
- I have used disk utility to do a disk check on the iPod multiple times. Sometimes it will say that the iPod cannot be repaired and sometimes it will say it appears to be ok.
- I have opened iTunes in Safe Mode and the problem persists
- There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the iPod hangs, which is to say there is not a particular song or album that it hangs on.
- The music I am able to get on there plays fine and the iPod itself seems to be working ok.
- I have tried all of my USB ports and three different cables, problem persists.
- The iPod is over a year and a half old and I do not have Apple Care
- After every full restore iTunes allows me to manually transfer anywhere from 6-10gb worth of music before hanging. After that it will hang on every transfer I try to do.

This problem started when I upgraded to 8.1.1, as well as when I decided to auto sync the iPod. It could be either of those two things.

I was gonna go ahead and get a new iPod but I really don't want to have to do that. I think that the iPod itself is working properly, I believe this is a software problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I am really desperate here.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

adameels

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Milton Keynes
Ok, I have been dealing with this problem for the past few days and I am all out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently using an 80gb classic with firmware 1.1.2 on an OS X machine running 10.5.6 and iTunes 8.1.1. A few days ago I decided to clean out a lot of unnecessary music from my library and do a full auto sync with my iPod (I was previously doing a manual sync). In the same sitting I also updated my iTunes firmware to 8.1.1. I did a full restore of my iPod and started to do a full sync of all 65gb of my music. The sync stopped at about 2500 songs and the iPod hung and iTunes was being non-responsive.

I was able to soft reset my iPod while it was plugged in so that I could eject it. No music had actually transferred to the iPod. So I plugged it back in and started to do a manual sync, dragging and dropping all of my music in there little by little. This would work for a little while but once I got my iPod to 10gb full it would hang again.

In the situations where it hangs I have no choice but to do the soft reset and unplug it. There are times when I plug my iPod in and it says that it is corrupted, so I restore it and the same thing happens.

- I have done multiple full restores on this iPod
- I have time machined back to before installing 8.1.1 and the problem persists.
- I have used disk utility to do a disk check on the iPod multiple times. Sometimes it will say that the iPod cannot be repaired and sometimes it will say it appears to be ok.
- I have opened iTunes in Safe Mode and the problem persists
- There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the iPod hangs, which is to say there is not a particular song or album that it hangs on.
- The music I am able to get on there plays fine and the iPod itself seems to be working ok.
- I have tried all of my USB ports and three different cables, problem persists.
- The iPod is over a year and a half old and I do not have Apple Care
- After every full restore iTunes allows me to manually transfer anywhere from 6-10gb worth of music before hanging. After that it will hang on every transfer I try to do.

This problem started when I upgraded to 8.1.1, as well as when I decided to auto sync the iPod. It could be either of those two things.

I was gonna go ahead and get a new iPod but I really don't want to have to do that. I think that the iPod itself is working properly, I believe this is a software problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I am really desperate here.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Well it seems that because the problem occurs after a variable amount of data has been transfered, one of the songs might be corrupted. I had a similar experience before. Problem is if you have a large library identifying the problem will be like a needle in a haystack. If your manually copying them in order that they appear in the library, then the fault would be where you said between 6 and 10gb into the library. Not 100% sure, but that's what I'm guessing.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Well it seems that because the problem occurs after a variable amount of data has been transfered, one of the songs might be corrupted. I had a similar experience before. Problem is if you have a large library identifying the problem will be like a needle in a haystack. If your manually copying them in order that they appear in the library, then the fault would be where you said between 6 and 10gb into the library. Not 100% sure, but that's what I'm guessing.

Unfortunately I do not transfer the songs in any real order. It is not the sort of thing where it hangs or freezes in the same place or with the same song.

You may be right about the corrupted iTunes library though. But I have not added any music to my library between the time my iPod worked and the time it stopped working. If it were a corrupted library, how would I fix that?

adameels

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Milton Keynes
Unfortunately I do not transfer the songs in any real order. It is not the sort of thing where it hangs or freezes in the same place or with the same song.

You may be right about the corrupted iTunes library though. But I have not added any music to my library between the time my iPod worked and the time it stopped working. If it were a corrupted library, how would I fix that?

Two ways:

1- Move your iTunes Database File (.ita) to a different location, like a USB stick. When you open iTunes it might (I think) create a new one automatically.

or 2-

You would have to create a new iTunes database library. First go to Preferences, then the advanced tab and select 'keep itunes folder organised' and 'copy files to itunes folder', if done so already you can skip this step.
Then consolidate your library, do that by File > Library > Consolidate Library.
Close iTunes. MOVE your iTunes library to a different location, preferably an external drive. Open iTunes holding down on the option key. It will ask you to create or choose a library. Choose 'create'. Your iTunes library will be blank. Then drag and drop the entire iTunes Music Folder into the library to add all your songs.

4.jpg

Only setback is your song ratings may disappear, songs names may change and any playlists will disappear. There's other options in iTunes like export playlist that might help with this.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Two ways:

1- Move your iTunes Database File (.ita) to a different location, like a USB stick. When you open iTunes it might (I think) create a new one automatically.

or 2-

You would have to create a new iTunes database library. First go to Preferences, then the advanced tab and select 'keep itunes folder organised' and 'copy files to itunes folder', if done so already you can skip this step.
Then consolidate your library, do that by File > Library > Consolidate Library.
Close iTunes. MOVE your iTunes library to a different location, preferably an external drive. Open iTunes holding down on the option key. It will ask you to create or choose a library. Choose 'create'. Your iTunes library will be blank. Then drag and drop the entire iTunes Music Folder into the library to add all your songs.

4.jpg

Only setback is your song ratings may disappear, songs names may change and any playlists will disappear. There's other options in iTunes like export playlist that might help with this.

Thanks a lot for the help! Unfortunately, this did not work. Looks like there has to be something wrong with the iPod mechanically. As far as I know I have tried everything.

I appreciate the help though.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
....Looks like there has to be something wrong with the iPod mechanically. As far as I know I have tried everything.

You can test the iPod independent from iTunes and your library. If the problem remains then it is the iPod, not your software or library. Set the iPod for "disk use" and specify as must of the internal memory as you can. Then just copy rando, non-music files to the ipod. Do this a few times. It is hangs then it's not iTunes. If it works then nothing is wrong with the iPod.

One way to solve problems like this is to cut the "system" in half and then see which half is broken. Then repeat as required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.