PDA

View Full Version : Edu. Prices- only through Apple Store?

cyks
Apr 20, 2004, 07:46 PM
I was curious if anyone knew of any other retailer that sold Apple products at the edu. discount...or if I was forced to go through the Apple store for this one...
I'm basically trying to avoid the whole "tax" issue- and if there is another retailer out there- I probably won't have to pay any.
If I have to go through Apple- I may as well buy it elsewhere for full price and take what ever free things they'll throw in. (Since after tax- it'd only be $100 or so difference...free RAM alone would justify that).

Thanks.

SilentPanda
Apr 20, 2004, 08:27 PM
Nowhere else except at maybe a local school store... which doesn't avoid the tax cost either...

Kwyjibo
Apr 20, 2004, 08:33 PM
There is no way to get a student discount and avoid tax, this has been discussed many times before

cyks
Apr 20, 2004, 08:42 PM
Oh well... thanks guys for the input.
Now to decide if it makes more sense to pay the $1400+tax...(just over 1500).... or bit the bullet and pay the full $1600 on it and get a printer, extra RAM, and a carrying case included.

Looks like I'll be saving for another week- can't see any reason not to pay full now.

Anaxagoras
Apr 20, 2004, 09:16 PM
Seems the only decent discount that us students get is with software... I mean, getting 10.3 for half the street price is pretty sweet.

Dave the Great
Apr 21, 2004, 12:28 AM
You can get the educational discount plus not pay tax through Yellow Dog Linux. Plus they hook you up with a Linux partition to fool around with.

iAtom
Apr 21, 2004, 12:55 AM
There is no way to get a student discount and avoid tax, this has been discussed many times before

I am confused about this. I have never bought anything from Apple, but I am planning to buy a 15" Powerbook soon. I assumed that if I ordered it on Apple's website I wouldn't have to pay tax. Is this true?

cyks
Apr 21, 2004, 01:03 AM
Yes, you pay tax from Apple's website.
Depending on where you are- there are many other places to buy a PBook that won't charge you tax (unless you want one built to order- in which case you're kind of stuck).

Thanks Dave- I'll be checking them out.

powerbook4me
Apr 21, 2004, 01:04 AM

Ah, you gotta be kidding....

That was the only reason that I was going to buy through www.apple.com

Dave the Great
Apr 21, 2004, 01:13 AM
Depending on where you are- there are many other places to buy a PBook that won't charge you tax (unless you want one built to order- in which case you're kind of stuck).

Thanks Dave- I'll be checking them out.

No problem. I should have added a qualifier to the "no tax" statement - its no tax as long as you live outside of Colorado.