Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haggard Jim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
I've downloaded a few rar. files that I uncompressed using UnRarX,
the end result is a mpeg file that windows media player 9 series nor quicktime 7.6 plays.... But the vlc player plays it thou, a bit "wavy".
Two questions I have, first being could this file have an improper "tag-extension" and is there a way to find out it's true format.
Second one is, what steps do I take to put this video onto a dvd without losing the quality?

Thanks..

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You should be able to get an indication of the file type by using "file". In Terminal, type "file name-of-file.mpg" and it'll return a file type.

I don't have any MPEG files at hand so I can't say what the "correct" return type is.

In VLC, you may be able to get some information by pressing Cmd-I and going to Codec Details.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I've downloaded a few rar. files that I uncompressed using UnRarX,
the end result is a mpeg file that windows media player 9 series nor quicktime 7.6 plays.... But the vlc player plays it thou, a bit "wavy".
You may use either the QuickTime Player or VLC to determine the codecs used for the audio and video tracks of your file.

BTW, Microsoft has not supported Windows Media Player for the Mac in years. It endorses and recommends that you download and install the Flip4Mac QuickTime codec. Flip4Mac is slightly more compatible with Windows media than Microsoft's own software.

cncpaul

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
With flip for mac open just go to

File
-Get info

and it will tell you what video and audio codec was used

Quicktime will also tell you by clicking

Window
-show movie properties

As for putting it onto a DVD I use Roxio Toast. It will convert to the right format and burn. If your original file is a bit "wavy" with VLC then the odds are once you burn it will be too.
Hope it helps

Haggard Jim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Getting There...

First off, thanks for the replys.. everyone has been a bit helpful for sure.
So after trial and error I ended up with witch seems to be an all in one. Roxio for the software to convert and burn witch is of course is pretty easy to get the hang of as far as dragging and dropping files.
Same program also showed witch files I was messing with.
I have a couple of formats 1st is Video: Mpeg-2 _ Audio: Dolby Digital
2nd is Video: Divx _ Audio: Mpeg layer 3 audio
I've made a dvd from them and they don't look to bad...
But I still notice "like jagged lines".
(For instance someones arm might look like steps if your paying close attention)
I ask, could this be something I can help within Roxio 8. or 10
Perhaps make extra adjustments that the program might not make off jump while converting?
Possibly convert these files properly in any software if needed... (If anys known)
This being a one off, I've heard about the dvd players that play Xvid.
Would anyone be able to explain to me the proper steps to burn a xvid.
And my main question is for xvid is, if you have a xvid compatible dvd player can you burn this video in the quality that you've seen it on you computer?

Thanks much...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
This being a one off, I've heard about the dvd players that play Xvid.
Would anyone be able to explain to me the proper steps to burn a xvid.
And my main question is for xvid is, if you have a xvid compatible dvd player can you burn this video in the quality that you've seen it on you computer?

Thanks much...
I own a Pioneer DivX-compatible DVD-RW player/recorder. My quick Google search reveals that XviD DVD players are simply DivX-compatible players that include XviD as a supported format. When you do your Google search, look for DivX-compatible players that explicitly list XviD as a supported format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.