Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaredistheman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I'm new to making beats and music and such on my mac and i used to use fruity loops which i totally loved but i was just curious if either of the 2 programs in the title would be comparable or if anyone had any other suggestions of good DAWs for mac. Thanks!

KiD.DeeN

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
I was in the same boat as you. You say you're making beats, as in hip hop beats?
I went with reason. Thor and all the other modules are beasts. WELL WORTH IT

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I think you need to read up on each program and see what meets your needs the best, because they are quite different apps that work in quite different ways.
But yes, if making beats is your thing, I think i'd go for Reason.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Get the demos and try them out! Every audio program has its own work-flow that some people'll dig and some people will not.

Dr Sound

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Roxborough Park Colorado
Again its mainly a matter of which is easier to work in..

I have never used FL as I have used Reason and Recycle for as long as I can remember.. Mainly for the simple fact I know the program in and out.

Another great tool is Youtube.. A lot of people post some great Tutorials of the programs on there..

Jaredistheman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Well, some hip hop beats, but i'm also getting into alot of electronic music such as innerpartysystem and i'd like to start making some for fun. I would also be making beats for normal pop punk kinda songs such as bands like forever the sickest kids do. It's looking like reason is the way to go! Man, why can't they make fruity loops for mac! :( I have vmware fusion and i run fruity loops that way but once i get more than 5 or 6 instruments it starts to freeze up and won't play a song smoothly.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Well, some hip hop beats, but i'm also getting into alot of electronic music such as innerpartysystem and i'd like to start making some for fun. I would also be making beats for normal pop punk kinda songs such as bands like forever the sickest kids do. It's looking like reason is the way to go! Man, why can't they make fruity loops for mac! :( I have vmware fusion and i run fruity loops that way but once i get more than 5 or 6 instruments it starts to freeze up and won't play a song smoothly.

Reason sounds a better choice for you. Live as the name suggests was/is aimed at the performance side of things, with the ability to trigger stuff live.

But as someone suggested, download the demos and give 'em a try.

Jaredistheman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Reason sounds a better choice for you. Live as the name suggests was/is aimed at the performance side of things, with the ability to trigger stuff live.

But as someone suggested, download the demos and give 'em a try.

Okay sounds good. Thanks for all the help guys!

coday182

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2006
Jamestown, IN
There wasn't much that Reason could do, which Live 7 couldn't do but now Live 8 is out and it's just as well equipped to make beats as anything else. I make beats that I sell to local amateur artists, some completely original tunes (including beats synths and sampled instruments) to use for remixes, as well as mashups and about everything else and I do it all in Ableton. Ableton is perfectly suited for producing music of any sort, especially beats.

The drum rack is awesome because you can load 127 different samples into a single rack and then inside of each of the 127 slots you can stack different samples on top of each other, add all the FX, etc. Lots more room for creativity. And plus, like I said, Ableton 8 only made everything better. It's new sound engine is in par with all the top DAW's for sound quality now.

Plus, Reason is pretty much only useful to make your own beats and tunes and stuff, but Ableton is suitable for that too as well as remixing or a whole list of other stuff. So it's also more future-proof because you may take up an interest in something else musical too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.