Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weepul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Prevention of course is best, but if you get a virus in Windows, removing it can be pretty nasty and from what I read, many of them do their best to keep you from reaching out for solutions from within Windows. It occurred to me that running Windows on a Mac via Bootcamp gives one a bit of a leg up; OS X would of course be unaffected...at the least, you'd still have free access to download whatever fixes are necessary and get them over to Windows (say, through a FAT32 partition).

Then the idea hit me: would it be possible to scan and sterilize a Windows install from within OS X?

In my searching on the MR forums, I've pretty much only found ClamXav, which I assume would be able to scan and cure a Bootcamp partition if NTFS drivers have been installed for OS X. Is this right, or am I missing something?

Also, is there any other software to do this available? If possible, it seems like a great approach to a failure plan when using Bootcamp. Certainly something I'd like to know about before going ahead with Windows...

Weepul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I love how I seem to ask the hard questions. :p Nobody answered my last question thread on MR either...

Seriously, nobody has any input on this topic?

Just to follow up, in some further reading it looks like ClamAV can't disinfect files, just notify you if they are infected and quarantine them for deletion, and it looks like it would work on a Bootcamp partition with appropriate HD format drivers. It's a start, I suppose.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
In my experience, viruses really aren't that large of a problem, especially provided you have virus protection that is update in your Windows partition. You should be fine just having virus protection on your Windows partition, although the ClamXav solution does sound like it could work if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.