PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors needs a new Logo!

MacDuff
Apr 21, 2004, 02:38 AM
I'm sorry, and I hope no one is offended by this thread but I just can't help myself anymore. Isn't it time that MacRumors gets a new logo that fits the exceptional quality that it provides? Honestly, the current logo looks like something that goes on a 3rd grade classroom bulletin board. I'm a graphic designer and I know there are more out there who couldn't help but agree. The fact that it's an apple and there's a question mark doesn't make the design "work", it makes the design cheesy and forced. C'mon - you're cooler than that! My apologies to the designer but I have a feeling it was designed by someone untrained.

MacRumors staff: Please hire someone to update this logo, there are some great designers out there who can create slick professional identitie logos - this site is well worth it.

-bhilldesign

cc bcc
Apr 21, 2004, 07:18 AM
I agree that the logo is not state of the art design. But you can't expect MacRumors to pay for a designer, I'm sure you know how expensive a professional designer is.
Perhaps it might be fun to have a logo design contest.

MacDuff
Apr 21, 2004, 10:20 AM
I agree that the logo is not state of the art design. But you can't expect MacRumors to pay for a designer, I'm sure you know how expensive a professional designer is.
Perhaps it might be fun to have a logo design contest.

Good call then. A logo contest could fix the problem and add a cool element to the site. I'm sure there would be some great submissions. Anyone else got any ideas?

kettle
Apr 21, 2004, 10:50 AM
The fact that it's an apple and there's a question mark doesn't make the design "work", it makes the design cheesy and forced. C'mon - you're cooler than that! My apologies to the designer but I have a feeling it was designed by someone untrained.

I find your comment typical of the fashion victimised makeover addicts that populate todays design industry. The idea of re-doing something because it's not cool anymore means it was too cool when it was designed. I think we have a long lasting winner with this logo, if someone said it was designed by whoever the flavour of the month is, the victims would probably have it as a tattoo on their fashion conscious arses.

I think the flat design will keep it away from the drop shadow overdose and aqua button brigade who will soon be if not already out staying their welcome. The logo reflects a style of web design that uses the latest well thought out standards that will be needed to take internet content into a less chaotic future. Clean, precise and well organised is the order of the day. Maybe the "trying to find something to makeover" designers could spend more time on the banner advertisements that bugger up any chance of maintaining a well executed web design.

sarcasm - maybe if brandon did a site wide makeover Macrumors could be the proud host to a Golden Web Award, and those of us on Dial Up can spend all day downloading the first page. Why doesn't somebody ask if he'll do it for free, it would be good if the logo was a link to the brandon hill site so we could cost him a fortune in bandwidth every time somebody tried to load the Macrumors front page.

I for one, was offended by the need for someone to post a comment like that. (can you tell yet?) (no?) Why doesn't the whole Macrumors team go on an intensive training course in order they don't offend any more of the "more suitably educated" amongst us. Hands up if you think the macrumors logo would be better with a sax solo on roll over!

other than that, I quite like Mr. Hill's own web site, a bit of a cliche, but well executed. Will you include accessibility in your next brief?

kettle
Apr 21, 2004, 11:03 AM
Good call then. A logo contest could fix the problem and add a cool element to the site. I'm sure there would be some great submissions. Anyone else got any ideas?

Yes, good call! I vote that we all enter. Yes, everything will be going swimmingly until we all get disqualified for being less than excellent, except for you! Later on we award you the Macrumors Design Trophy, showing the current "untrained" logo so that you can stick it on your own precious web site, leaving you unable to win any more awards ever on the basis that you were uncool enough to have a Macrumors apple and question mark (that just don't work) stuck next to your "Golden Web Award"

I think you're really great. happy now?

Veldek
Apr 21, 2004, 12:04 PM
I'm in no way a design professional, just a regular guy, but I really like the logo. I think it has a modern look and even shows the meaning of the site. That's just my opinion but perhaps I'm not the one the design professionals aim at.

rueyeet
Apr 21, 2004, 12:04 PM
Cheesiness is subjective, and regardless doesn't make a logo ineffective. In addition, a lot of the 70's-regurgitation neo-retro stuff that passes for "design" right now frankly makes me retch.

You don't need "design" to have a good logo. The logo just needs to be easily assimilated, iconic, and distinctive enough to provide a visual cue for people's associative memory in regards to the brand it represents.

The MacRumors logo does meet that criteria, whether or not everyone finds it aesthetically pleasing.

bousozoku
Apr 21, 2004, 12:05 PM
No, thanks. The simplicity of the logo is quite right. It doesn't have to be overdone, as we've seen with so many things today, including self-promoting websites.

Please, exit. The wretched excess room is down the hall and to the right.

Krizoitz
Apr 21, 2004, 01:33 PM
I am surprised at the attitude in here. While hiring a proffesional designer may not be the answer, MacDuff certainly hasn't presented that offensive of a position, yet a few people are jumping down his throat like he asked them to redesign the Bible or something.

It was a simple and innocent comment. He feels that the logo could use some sprucing up. Maybe maybe not, but rather than tell him to simply go away as bousozoku did or personally attack him as kettle did, you can politely disagree with him.

Before we go jumping to conclusions maybe it would be a good idea to do some research. Find out how long this logo has been here, see if arn et al are averse to changing it for any reason, maybe do a poll to see if there is user interest in a new design.

We aren't talking frivolous design change here, its not like we are going to have a logo of the month club or something. It was merely an idea, I thought the whole point of being a mac user was to be open to thinking different?

rainman::|:|
Apr 21, 2004, 06:36 PM
I agree, i don't like the logo much either. It worked to begin with, something not-too-amateurish, but anymore the question mark/apple doesn't go well with the site anymore. The font used in the wording is good tho, it's just the apple itself i'm not fond of.

It would be interesting to see a logo competition. A lot of untalented people would submit crap tho, which is always disappointing. Still, might be a few good ones.

paul

MoparShaha
Apr 21, 2004, 07:13 PM
Wow, I've never noticed the question mark! :rolleyes:

I think the logo fits in with the site well. I've always liked it, and don't want to see it changed anytime soon. My favorite aspects of it is that it uses few colors, is very minimalistic, and is flat. "Classic" is the best word to describe it.

voicegy
Apr 21, 2004, 08:51 PM
I find your comment typical of the fashion victimised makeover addicts that populate todays design industry. [...] I think the flat design will keep it away from the drop shadow overdose and aqua button brigade who will soon be if not already out staying their welcome.[...] Clean, precise and well organised is the order of the day.

What he said...and more.

Today's "cool" is always tomorrow's has-been. Keep it simple - it has brand. It's well known. It works. It's even kinda spunky and smart-ass, which I adore. It's on my coveted coffee mug. Look around and see the logos of long lasting, trustworthy, solid companies. An extreme makeover of a logo is a sure sign of desperation - heck, even NBC brought back the Peacock, and the only thing Apple themselves did was go from a rainbow of colors to solid black, white and/or silver. The "core" design itself (pun intended) stayed recognizable.

If one of the most hip, innovative, cool, cutting edge, mythic companies to ever exist didn't "dick around" with their logo, then why should MacRumors?

Enough said! :mad:

MacDuff
Apr 21, 2004, 10:16 PM
Yes, good call! I vote that we all enter. Yes, everything will be going swimmingly until we all get disqualified for being less than excellent, except for you! Later on we award you the Macrumors Design Trophy, showing the current "untrained" logo so that you can stick it on your own precious web site, leaving you unable to win any more awards ever on the basis that you were uncool enough to have a Macrumors apple and question mark (that just don't work) stuck next to your "Golden Web Award"

I think you're really great. happy now?

Wow, you really have a chip on your shoulder. Not once did I claim that I was too cool for anyone, and that everything and everyone should feel negatively for being less than excellent. You seem highly sensitive to such a small issue yet you continue to bash me. It's honestly kind of embarassing. Hope you can sort it out. I know you're trying to paint me as a pretentious chump but I'm afraid it's backfired on you.

sarcasm - maybe if brandon did a site wide makeover Macrumors could be the proud host to a Golden Web Award, and those of us on Dial Up can spend all day downloading the first page. Why doesn't somebody ask if he'll do it for free, it would be good if the logo was a link to the brandon hill site so we could cost him a fortune in bandwidth every time somebody tried to load the Macrumors front page.

I'm sorry but designers today don't worry about dial-up connections. Clients and employers have broadband, therefore, we design for broadband to get jobs. Simple as that. If people have dial-up, i tell them not to bother, employer or friend.

Thanks Krizoitz for your comments. You seemed to have a much better natch on my commentary on the logo. An openness to different ides is exactly what Apple is founded on.

As we all agree simplicity in design is a great thing. But that shouldn't be a defense against my argument. Simplicity is the offical Apple logo. No stroke outline, no drop shadows, no ridiculous curves, no conflicting colors. Just one solid icon that reeks of absolute minimilism. This is why we can see it a mile a way and the world remembers it. The Macrumors logo doesn't have that simplicity.

MacDuff
Apr 21, 2004, 10:17 PM
What he said...and more.

Today's "cool" is always tomorrow's has-been. Keep it simple - it has brand. It's well known. It works. It's even kinda spunky and smart-ass, which I adore. It's on my coveted coffee mug. Look around and see the logos of long lasting, trustworthy, solid companies. An extreme makeover of a logo is a sure sign of desperation - heck, even NBC brought back the Peacock, and the only thing Apple themselves did was go from a rainbow of colors to solid black, white and/or silver. The "core" design itself (pun intended) stayed recognizable.

If one of the most hip, innovative, cool, cutting edge, mythic companies to ever exist didn't "dick around" with their logo, then why should MacRumors?

Never once did I say we should have an extreme catchy trendy make-over of the logo. The reason Apple never "dicked around" with their logo is because it was strong to begin with. Do you follow?

Krizoitz
Apr 21, 2004, 11:16 PM
What he said...and more.

Are you kidding me? You do realize the Apple logo isn't the original one they had right? As for the NBC peacock its gone through quite a few changes over the years.

Apple of my eye
Apr 21, 2004, 11:36 PM
Enough talk already. If you are so passionate about a change, then get busy and show us your goods, otherwise who cares?

bousozoku
Apr 21, 2004, 11:42 PM
Are you kidding me? You do realize the Apple logo isn't the original one they had right? As for the NBC peacock its gone through quite a few changes over the years.

He noted all the Apple logo varieties, except for solid Red. I think he knows that they're not using the original one any more.

voicegy
Apr 21, 2004, 11:44 PM
Never once did I say we should have an extreme catchy trendy make-over of the logo.

You are correct.

The reason Apple never "dicked around" with their logo is because it was strong to begin with.

Well, their very FIRST logo was a mess, but their current one is strong.

Do you follow?

Yes, and I happen to feel that the current MacRumors logo is strong.

I suppose, all in all, it's only a matter of opinion. If, one day, Arn decides a logo revisit is in order, he'll do it. Personally, I feel this site today enjoys great respect on the 'net, and because of that, for the time being, its current brand logo is deeply connected to that - differences aside, it is what it is, and the connection has been made.

Nothing is really "driving" this discussion other than a difference of taste - the site isn't "lagging in the polls," "being derided" or garnering any disfavor among the community it serves and represents. Oftentimes brand logo reidentification (subtle or not) is an attempt to refresh, resurrect, or otherwise point out that things are "new and different." That was done by the recent forum revamp.

I am personally of the opinion that your website is garish and "Blair Witchy", with unnecessary rollover sounds. You are of the opinion that the MacRumors logo could do with some refreshing, as it looks like it was done by a 3rd grader. You are a young, inspired, designer. I am a middle aged IT Liaison for a large school district. Do you follow? :)

We agree to disagree, and that's part of what makes MacRumors special. Many more may weigh in with their opinions, and, who knows...the majority of folks who visit this post may very well excitedly agree with you (as some have) or violently disagree with you (having, perhaps, been a bit "scared" of your web site and connected your suggestion with your own personal desire to remake the current logo....which, in context, looks like that may have been the intention, but, upon reflection, was more likely a harmless suggestion to toss out on the table of opinion.)

Age differences in posters' opinions aside (the younger posters see an opportunity, the older posters see an unnecessary threat) one thing seems obvious...pro, con, or in-between, we're as passionate and defensive and concerned and "into" our little slice of the Internet as we are about Apple itself.

And that, my friend, is a good thing - not to mention the wry amusement factor that Arn may get when reviewing such posts on his (and our) beloved site.

You'll excuse me now...the bag has just run out of wind. ;)

voicegy
Apr 22, 2004, 12:07 AM
Are you kidding me? You do realize the Apple logo isn't the original one they had right?

But of course. The very first one had a short life. The basic shape of what we know and recognize today has been consistant - but also refreshed from time to time for good reason - the colors were there to advertise that the Apple computer had color capabilities. Over time, this became a moot point. Keep the shape, toss in a solid color with a bit of a lickable 3-D look, and there ya go.

Apple was around for a LONG time prior to that change. MacRumors has a healthy few years under its belt, but now may not be the time for a change, "timewise" speaking. As for the MacRumors logo itself, apples are, generally speaking, thought of as "red." When you bite into them (to peek at what's inside - rumor) they're generally thought of as "white" inside. A color revamp for this logo would be inappropriate, a "3-D jazzup" of the current logo may or may not add a certain panache, a complete redo may hurt the connection it currently enjoys with a well respected site.

Good ol' http://www.macosrumors.com/ went through a few logo changes, and what they ended up with is (in my opinion) a hack job of currently existing Mac OS images. No thought or artistic effort there. To me, it represented an attempt to freshen up a lagging site - it didn't make me come rushing back.

All of this talk does bring up some interesting points/questions, however.

1. Just when was the current logo put into production? (to me, a brand logo should stay in a given incarnation for a solid number of years)

2. Just who DID create the logo? Was it a labor of love from Arn himself? Did a relative or friend design it for him? There may be a connection to the logo to Arn that we're not aware of - then again, there may not be.

Interesting...

michaelrjohnson
Apr 22, 2004, 12:10 AM
well, i am going to chime in and agree with (what seems to be) the majority: the MR logo doesn't need any refinement.
I agree with many of the points made about today's over-use of image in design. want a good example (forgive me arn): spymac. version 3.0 brought an overwhelming amount of images that have no reason to be there. it is a terrible design in my opinion... the content is there, but it is hidden behind gobs of useless images.

as a student of graphic design myself, i am learning good design. not design for the sake of "cool" or "$". I recently did a project using the text of "The First Things First Manifesto 2000". I can't tell you whether or not to believe what is in the text, but I sure do. Find it, read it.

greetings, fellow designers. :)

baby duck monge
Apr 22, 2004, 12:44 AM
wow. i never noticed the question mark before. guess i never paid that much attention, and only took note of the general shape. now it's the first thing i see every time i look at the logo. it's like that dead pixel you never notice until someone points it out, and then it drives you mad. curses, macduff!! :mad: :D

MacDuff
Apr 22, 2004, 01:07 AM
I am personally of the opinion that your website is garish and "Blair Witchy", with unnecessary rollover sounds. You are of the opinion that the MacRumors logo could do with some refreshing, as it looks like it was done by a 3rd grader. You are a young, inspired, designer. I am a middle aged IT Liaison for a large school district. Do you follow? :)

I hear ya Voicegy. I'm all for opinions and am very open to them always when it comes to design. Bring them on. If people agree or disagree with me about the logo than it's fine with me, we can't learn if we can't disagree now and then. When it comes to design, the look of a logo makes an impression and sometimes it needs updated because of reinvention or lack of 'business'. Other times it just needs amplified or simplifed for purely aethstetic purposes. My point for a logo update is resides with the ladder.

Also, I chuckle as I stress the point that I need to clear up right away: I NEVER have had the intention of redesigning me logo myself nor did I want to give that impression that I was bidding for the job. I had no idea that people would react the way of assuming that. My website url was below my post because it's part of my signature. I never wanted to "hint" to come 'check me out.' But thanks to all who visited, hoped you like my music too. Compliments of Garageband and Soundtrack, praise be to Apple.

Krizoitz
Apr 22, 2004, 03:07 AM
Enough talk already. If you are so passionate about a change, then get busy and show us your goods, otherwise who cares?

Wow there was a thread about the political forums and how they had been getting mean, but I guess its extended to the whole forums.

I don't have a firm opinion on whether or not the logo needs to be changed. Arn might not even want to, but seriously whats wrong with talking about it? Why are people so hostile to even discussing change.

We aren't talking about turning the website into a tribute to deodorant, or renaming your first child we are talking about whether or not the logo could use a refresh.

Seriously I think people need to take a few deep breaths before they post.

kettle
Apr 22, 2004, 03:16 AM
I NEVER have had the intention of redesigning me logo myself nor did I want to give that impression that I was bidding for the job. I had no idea that people would react the way of assuming that. My website url was below my post because it's part of my signature. I never wanted to "hint" to come 'check me out.' But thanks to all who visited, hoped you like my music too. Compliments of Garageband and Soundtrack, praise be to Apple.

You had a big fat active rollover link to your site AND a plain text one in your sig. don't tell porky pies. (check the edit dates people, this member is a fraud) :eek:

I love this site, and what you did was like going around to someone's house and suggesting that they should "redecorate" their freshly decorated front room, because YOU think it's not "cool" enough. Not only that, you then proceed to call a vote and/or competition, as if there is some sort of written constitution for Fashion Police representatives to use democracy and/or kangaroo court to force their environment into something a little less "untrained".

I hope you treat your professional clients with more respect, or you may find your praises to be sung only by those who are already under the spell of "naked is the new black" and "is this the right shop to buy cool from?".

anyway, when you get antenna to go with your ego (and, I might add genuine talent) I think you should do O.K. in your chosen field of expertise.

on the point of ignorance to accessibility (bandwidth or otherwise), a designer would do well to remember that if they treat the internet as a very useful and important tool before a rich garden for media exploitation, we may see an upward trend in usability rather than a degenerate process leading us into a stale mated knot of technology collision.

Have you ever heard of the W3C (http://www.w3.org/Consortium/) or XHTML DOM or CSS? just a thought, take it or leave it. :)

rueyeet
Apr 22, 2004, 11:18 AM
We aren't talking frivolous design change here, its not like we are going to have a logo of the month club or something. It was merely an idea, I thought the whole point of being a mac user was to be open to thinking different?Thinking different doesn't have to amount to agreeing (though I do agree that it shouldn't amount to personal attacks either).

I just think that subjective aesthetics is not reason enough to warrant a re-design for a logo that works, at least in the absence of overwhelming negative feedback....which, to judge from the number of people vigorously defending the present logo, we don't have.

And generalized criticism doesn't help with getting at the idea of what a better logo might be. For those of you don't like it, what do you not like about it? What would you like to see instead? Are there any ideas for improvement? If you agree with MacDuff, let's stop vaguely criticizing and get creative! :cool:

I hope this is coming across politely: I mean it that way. :)

claytonbench
Apr 22, 2004, 11:50 AM
I disagree, I think the current logo is great. Good job to who ever designed it.

Krizoitz
Apr 22, 2004, 12:24 PM
You really need to stop with the personal attacks. He made a suggestion on a public forum. Last time I checked the folder this is under is labeled MacRumors Site and Forum Feedback. I think this would count as feedback.

So brush that chip off your shoulder, stop insulting this guy, and discuss whether or not the logo change is a good idea in a polite manner.

You had a big fat active rollover link to your site AND a plain text one in your sig. don't tell porky pies. (check the edit dates people, this member is a fraud) :eek:

I love this site, and what you did was like going around to someone's house and suggesting that they should "redecorate" their freshly decorated front room, because YOU think it's not "cool" enough. Not only that, you then proceed to call a vote and/or competition, as if there is some sort of written constitution for Fashion Police representatives to use democracy and/or kangaroo court to force their environment into something a little less "untrained".

I hope you treat your professional clients with more respect, or you may find your praises to be sung only by those who are already under the spell of "naked is the new black" and "is this the right shop to buy cool from?".

anyway, when you get antenna to go with your ego (and, I might add genuine talent) I think you should do O.K. in your chosen field of expertise.

on the point of ignorance to accessibility (bandwidth or otherwise), a designer would do well to remember that if they treat the internet as a very useful and important tool before a rich garden for media exploitation, we may see an upward trend in usability rather than a degenerate process leading us into a stale mated knot of technology collision.

Have you ever heard of the W3C (http://www.w3.org/Consortium/) or XHTML DOM or CSS? just a thought, take it or leave it. :)

MacDuff
Apr 22, 2004, 12:41 PM

Oh my word. You should listen to Krizoitz and wise up. You clearly have some deep-seeded issues with being emotionally attatched to a website. If this is how you react to criticism of a website you like, what's it like when it's toward you, or a family member, or a term paper? I've never known someone like you, my sympathies.

Also, why do you keep turning the discussion around to my website? I have had success with my site in gaining clients for a long time now. Am I saying this because I have an ego? NO. But the thought of listening to a 16-year-old in a discussion forum who is trying to sound intelligent about the faultiness of my design makes me laugh. I would love to see an upward trend in usability, but once again, my site is only intended for people with an internet connection with DSL or above, simple as that. It loads fine on everything else. It's not my problem if you only have a 56k modem so don't complain to me. If you have a problem with me personally than that's also your problem. But tell me, why should I be bothered by your insults at my lack of "genuine talent"?

On design:
Simplicity in a logo can almost always be added by taking a second look at color. Perhaps that is why the logo reminded me of a 3rd grade classroom. The colors used are abrasive and somewhat childlike. In modern day design we always learn that less is more so I wonder what the logo would look like in one solid color. Perhaps a lighter compliment color on top of the blue shade that it sits on top of. What do you guys think? These are thoughts in hopes of turning the discussion back around properly.

kettle
Apr 22, 2004, 04:26 PM
But tell me, why should I be bothered by your insults at my lack of "genuine talent"?

I will tell you if you can be bothered to read what is written.

"when you get antenna to go with your ego (and, I might add genuine talent) I think you should do O.K. in your chosen field of expertise."

That means that if you found a method of gauging the reaction of people, like not being surprised when you slag off someone else's work and people rush to defend it.

the method of gauging reaction would be an add on to -

1) your ego
and
2) your genuine talent.

The bottom line is - you were rude and I have been less than polite. Please take my genuine compliment and stop pretending to be hard done by.

jayscheuerle
Apr 22, 2004, 04:42 PM
What's more difficult to do than go for a whole new design, is to critique what you don't like about the current one. Also point out what works or what could work better. "I don't like it" is worthless and subjective.

I've never been fond of the logo, but never really gave it a second thought. It's not my site and I don't come here for the logo. The look of the logo doesn't affect why I do come here. What's the big deal?

If this was a work in progress logo and someone asked for my opinion, I'd point out that it feels imbalanced, with too much weight on the left, the seeds get lost and the question mark feels awkwardly inserted. I'd recommend changing the blue stem to black (along with the seeds if they are blue) because those 3 colors look unsophisticated together. The green leaf seems overly large and I'd try to use it in a way which points to the questionmark instead of wrapping around it, so that more focus would be put on the question mark. I'd try some other fonts for the question mark, because I think its weight is too light and the serifed face offers nothing in the way of conveying what the feel of the site is. I'd make sure the logo works in one color, black, first.

The flatness is good. The question-mark is a neat idea. I don't think it's working, but it may be able to. Is it essential to the "rumor" theme? Do you want to evoke "community" as well?

Keep it simple. Think Illustrator, not Photoshop. What would Paul Rand do? Balance, boldness and distinctiveness.

Frankly, I'd leave it. It's part of the history of this place. You could pull an "update" like Burger King, Midas Muffler or Sunoco did, but you've really got to watch being trapped in trendy decisions when you do that.

2¢, just because it was sitting in my pocket. - j

MacDuff
Apr 22, 2004, 05:01 PM
What's more difficult to do than go for a whole new design, is to critique what you don't like about the current one. Also point out what works or what could work better. "I don't like it" is worthless and subjective.

I've never been fond of the logo, but never really gave it a second thought. It's not my site and I don't come here for the logo. The look of the logo doesn't affect why I do come here. What's the big deal?

If this was a work in progress logo and someone asked for my opinion, I'd point out that it feels imbalanced, with too much weight on the left, the seeds get lost and the question mark feels awkwardly inserted. I'd recommend changing the blue stem to black (along with the seeds if they are blue) because those 3 colors look unsophisticated together. The green leaf seems overly large and I'd try to use it in a way which points to the questionmark instead of wrapping around it, so that more focus would be put on the question mark. I'd try some other fonts for the question mark, because I think its weight is too light and the serifed face offers nothing in the way of conveying what the feel of the site is. I'd make sure the logo works in one color, black, first.

The flatness is good. The question-mark is a neat idea. I don't think it's working, but it may be able to. Is it essential to the "rumor" theme? Do you want to evoke "community" as well?

Keep it simple. Think Illustrator, not Photoshop. What would Paul Rand do? Balance, boldness and distinctiveness.

Frankly, I'd leave it. It's part of the history of this place. You could pull an "update" like Burger King, Midas Muffler or Sunoco did, but you've really got to watch being trapped in trendy decisions when you do that.

2¢, just because it was sitting in my pocket. - j

I agree with most of what you're saying. It should be bold and distinctive and shouldn't be driven off of color. Asemetry isn't always a negative thing but yes, I think it hurts the general contruction of the logo identity. Yes, it should always work in black and white before given a color pallete. Your points on color and minimalism strike a parallel to my ideas on turning it into one color tone.

The question mark could be a bothersome element of the design. Does the question mark evoke "rumors" and "community"? Or just "rumors". I'm unsure of its relationship. I love typography in just about all aspects of design, but it seems forced and possibly unnecessary. It could work, but I don't think it is yet.

If one's going to debate on the "history" than I can't do anything about that. History of websites don't really interest me, design interests me and discussions among that matter. The history of a logo is indeed important and there are plenty of logos that should never be altered or updated because of the company and identity they represent. But usually those logos are related to companies with decades behind them. Design on the web is still an infant and I'm not convinced that there's yet that kind of history behind Macrumors.com. I love this site and I visit it often. That's a point I tried to make clear in my opening post. But there should always be a distinction between design criticism and overall criticism. It's unfortunate that people were quick to defend this website emotionally when all I was doing was stating my opinions on its logo.

kettle
Apr 22, 2004, 05:13 PM
You really need to stop with the personal attacks. He made a suggestion on a public forum. Last time I checked the folder this is under is labeled MacRumors Site and Forum Feedback. I think this would count as feedback.

So brush that chip off your shoulder, stop insulting this guy, and discuss whether or not the logo change is a good idea in a polite manner.

1) Read This - "Honestly, the current logo looks like something that goes on a 3rd grade classroom bulletin board. I'm a graphic designer and I know there are more out there who couldn't help but agree. The fact that it's an apple and there's a question mark doesn't make the design "work", it makes the design cheesy and forced. C'mon - you're cooler than that! My apologies to the designer but I have a feeling it was designed by someone untrained." - then tell me which bit of this quote is in a polite manner.

2) I find your own tones (Krizoitz) very aggressive, far from the "good samaritan" image you seem keen to promote.

3) the theme of this thread is about discussing the feedback put forward in the very first post. Are you saying that I am not allowed to rebuff remarks with remarks of equal measure? What kind of macrumors supporter would I be if I just walked by when someone makes less than polite statements without challenge?

4) I await genuine feedback on the topic of "Hypothetical Procedures to Subjectively Improve on the Current Macrumors Logo Design."

bousozoku
Apr 22, 2004, 05:51 PM

If the thread was "Could MacRumors use a new logo?" or "Some ideas about a new logo for MacRumors", there would have been a different reaction. That's not how it was though--it was more of a self-promotion--"look at me, I'm the greatest and that logo is terrible!"

As far as my telling him to leave, I didn't. I was saying that simplicity is best and some things are better left that way, rather than being gadgety or trendy or killer or a few hundred other words that go with cliché that's dated almost right away. Every era has something about which future generations can laugh heartily--this one will have overdone graphics as its biggest joke.

Don't panic
Apr 22, 2004, 06:26 PM
wow!
easy up everyone! the original post could have been worded in a nicer way, but there is no reason to go for the throath. It WAS just a suggestion.
i personally think that the current logo is nice, but it's not memorable nor particularly sleek (and please don't flame me, I mean no offense to anyone).
I would like to see a logo competition (with Arn's blessing).
Given the crowd, we could be in for a couple of treats (and i pre-emptively call myself out).
it doesn't mean that the logo will be changed anyway.
That would ultimately be up to Arn to decide

peace

cjc343
Apr 22, 2004, 06:28 PM
I like the logo, but if someone can come up with something better, I will support them.....

Soooo, why don't those of you who want a new logo post your reccomended design(s) and then let other people critique them and make suggestions. Then, those of us who like the new logo better can present it to arn in a manner that is suggesting it as a new logo, not forcing it upon him, and if he likes it, he can start a poll to see whether the general public likes the new logo or the old logo better.

jayscheuerle
Apr 23, 2004, 08:09 AM
Asemetry isn't always a negative thing but yes, I think it hurts the general contruction of the logo identity.

Just to be nitpicky, asymmetry is neither good nor bad, providing it works. The issue for me is the balance, which is different. Even something symmetrical can be top-heavy (no jokes here boys). :)

For ****zengiggles, I tried making a question-mark work within the current concept of the logo for about 15 minutes and had a helluva time. Perhaps the conveyance of rumors and community could be more successfully achieved by combining the shape of an apple with the profile of a simplified talking head (not unlike the profile in the Finder icon). The simplified geometric quality would connect it more directly to an "Apple" site.

Dang. I guess I'm up to 4¢ now... ;)

musicpyrite
Apr 23, 2004, 04:20 PM
I got a great one! It's way better that that lousy old apple.Hehehe :D
Enjoy:

arn
Apr 23, 2004, 04:23 PM
thanks for the feedback.... personally I like the logo.

If someone feels like they can do a better job, then go for it. Otherwise, I'm not actively seeking out a new logo... but wouldn't, of course, turn down an "insanely great" design.

I like the simplicity of the current design, and don't necessarily think a "flashier" design is necessarily better. As for the symmetry/balance issue... I think it is a personal preference.

arn

voicegy
Apr 23, 2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the chime-in, Arn.

Out of curiosity, just when was the current logo put into production, and who created the logo?

Doesn't make a bit of difference overall to the spirit of the post, but if you ever come back this way, I was interested nevertheless.

applemacdude
Apr 23, 2004, 07:11 PM
thanks for the feedback.... personally I like the logo.

If someone feels like they can do a better job, then go for it. Otherwise, I'm not actively seeking out a new logo... but wouldn't, of course, turn down an "insanely great" design.

I like the simplicity of the current design, and don't necessarily think a "flashier" design is necessarily better. As for the symmetry/balance issue... I think it is a personal preference.

arn

Arn is there anywhere where we can find the old macrumors logos?

virividox
Apr 24, 2004, 05:04 AM
the logo is fine, but if something comes out nicer, then theres no harm right.

whats with the people fighting and insulting each other, its just a freaking logo. chill

voicegy
Apr 25, 2004, 06:48 PM
This post is bound to be locked and wastelanded if the name calling continues, even with the occasionally placed "LOL"'s. Please continue in private, or discontinue in public.

bousozoku
Apr 25, 2004, 08:26 PM
This post is bound to be locked and wastelanded if the name calling continues, even with the occasionally placed "LOL"'s. Please continue in private, or discontinue in public.

You're in charge now? :D I need to think of something disrespectful to say about you now. Why did you have to do this?

This thread is out of order like a runaway toilet. :D Someone needs to put one of those little yellow tent signs up--"foro mojado" or whatever.

voicegy
Apr 25, 2004, 09:13 PM
You're in charge now? :D I need to think of something disrespectful to say about you now. Why did you have to do this?

This thread is out of order like a runaway toilet. :D Someone needs to put one of those little yellow tent signs up--"foro mojado" or whatever.

Oh, I'm far from in charge, nor do I have any power to close a post or wasteland one. Just consider my last post a little yellow tent sign. ;)

Demi-God's don't disrespect each other - its an unwritten rule. :) You're right about the title of the post - it could have been stated otherwise as you suggested - may have had a different tone overall, as I'll admit I, too, jumped in with my fangs in defensive mode. The post may have run its course by now anyway (its actual purpose), but I'd still dig hearing from Arn about my inquiries. 'Tis up to him, of course.

bousozoku
Apr 25, 2004, 10:07 PM
Oh, I'm far from in charge, nor do I have any power to close a post or wasteland one. Just consider my last post a little yellow tent sign. ;)

Demi-God's don't disrespect each other - its an unwritten rule. :) You're right about the title of the post - it could have been stated otherwise as you suggested - may have had a different tone overall, as I'll admit I, too, jumped in with my fangs in defensive mode. The post may have run its course by now anyway (its actual purpose), but I'd still dig hearing from Arn about my inquiries. 'Tis up to him, of course.

I want to talk to that underwriter! :D What is an underwriter, anyway?

Those of us who have been here a while feel a bit differently about the forums and all. It's obvious that some people would change everything. In a way, it's like my conversations about the United States. I usually end with "Well, the company that makes my soy sauce is older than your whole country." ;)

Is it controversy or controversy? (The English will understand.)

brhmac
Apr 26, 2004, 02:13 AM
My earlier post seems to have been removed from this board.

Why?

I wrote that the problem confronting MacRumors is not the quality of its logo but the quality and quantity of its rumors. The site seems to compile rumors from other sites vs. originate its own rumors.

Does anyone remember the last rumor that "broke" here?

I made a similar observation on another board. It also seems to have been removed.

Bizarre. :confused:

kettle
Apr 26, 2004, 03:34 AM

Why?

I wrote that the problem confronting MacRumors is not the quality of its logo but the quality and quantity of its rumors. The site seems to compile rumors from other sites vs. originate its own rumors.

I made a similar observation on another board. It also seems to have been removed.

I think the idea is that we stay on topic, this is a thread discussing the hypothetical thinking behind changing the current Macrumors Logo.

This has proven to be a rather controversial topic topic largely due to the way the thread was approached in the first instance.

To prevent this post from being deleted, (or at least give it a fighting chance with life) I have included links to a) The World Wide Web Consortium (http://www.w3.org/) and b) The Markup Validation Service (http://validator.w3.org/) for those who wish to research better web design for themselves. I believe this to be essential reading for those with strong opinions of what good design and more importantly accessibility is all about.

All praise the mighty Moderators! :eek:

cjc343
Apr 26, 2004, 03:35 AM
I have a feeling your post was wiped off the face of the earth, and am not suprised that it disappeared.

I would not personally have deleted it.

[edit: I would have moved it to a new topic...]

takao
Apr 26, 2004, 05:22 AM
i guess i have to admit: i never saw the question mark either...
sure the logo hasn't got much recognition power... because it takes a lot of time to establish a 'brand' i would have problems describing a logo from an other webpage

i am not a designer but i think it is a good logo...but if somebody comes up with a better one well i have no problem iwth it (even mercedes changed their logo multiply times..but the always kept the star in the same shape)

camobag
Apr 26, 2004, 06:22 AM
Can we see some of your work?

kettle
Apr 26, 2004, 08:19 AM
Can we see some of your work?

If you could see my work, it would be very similar in execution to this Macrumors site. Macrumors, on examination (under the cover) can be seen to be doing its darndest in accommodating accessibility and web standards.

If you have time to waste trying to lure me into an a feeble demonstration of "put up or shut up", I suggest that understanding how a "show and tell" of my own work and it having little to do with the validity of adopting good web design practices, would be time better spent. :)

Rower_CPU
Apr 26, 2004, 01:31 PM

Why?

Because it was off-topic for the thread. Start a new one if you want to discuss where this site gets its rumors from.

This thread is beyond salvaging - try again with a "Design a New MacRumors Logo" thread if you want.