PDA

View Full Version : 7 inch scissors left in patient

iGav
Apr 21, 2004, 07:37 AM
When my bro went in to hospital to have a hernia operation donkey yonks ago... a few days after, one of his work colleagues called up pretending to be the Surgeon that operated on him, and that they thought that some surgical instruments had been left inside of him... :eek: :p :p you could see the colour visibly drain from my bro's face... heheh

Either way... 7 inch scissors... ouchy ouch! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3645557.stm

krimson
Apr 21, 2004, 08:27 AM
my friend is a surgeon down at Harbor-UCLA, he told me once that they're supposed to count all the instruments before they close up or at least while they're closing up. I wonder how these things happen when there are supposed to be procedures for preventing it...

question fear
Apr 21, 2004, 09:07 AM
maybe the surgeon had dinner reservations...no time to count, he's sure they were all there. :rolleyes:

MongoTheGeek
Apr 21, 2004, 09:14 AM
my friend is a surgeon down at Harbor-UCLA, he told me once that they're supposed to count all the instruments before they close up or at least while they're closing up. I wonder how these things happen when there are supposed to be procedures for preventing it...

I have seen it on TV shows when transfer patients from one doc to the next. The guy closing up counts his stuff but the guy who did the initial work left a clamp or something. It can also happen if the initial count is off or if instruments were added in the middle.

iGav
Apr 21, 2004, 09:34 AM
I wonder how these things happen when there are supposed to be procedures for preventing it...

my best friend is a Doctor, and half of the stuff she's told me about what goes on in Hospitals (Well UK's ones atleast) has made me hope that I never have to go into one for an operation. :eek:

Counterfit
Apr 21, 2004, 10:01 AM
my best friend is a Doctor, and half of the stuff she's told me about what goes on in Hospitals (Well UK's ones atleast) has made me hope that I never have to go into one for an operation. :eek: I wouldn't want to go to your hospitals either :p

MongoTheGeek
Apr 21, 2004, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't want to go to your hospitals either :p

I try to avoid them as well. For the most part the things I went into the hospital to have done are worse than the things that get done accidentally. :(

krimson
Apr 21, 2004, 10:34 AM
my best friend is a Doctor, and half of the stuff she's told me about what goes on in Hospitals (Well UK's ones atleast) has made me hope that I never have to go into one for an operation. :eek:

doesn't the UK have a national health system?

gwuMACaddict
Apr 21, 2004, 11:49 AM
thats ridiculous... i'm all about limiting malpractice lawsuits, but thats insane. COUNT YOUR TOOLS WHEN YOURE DONE. good grief... :rolleyes:

Counterfit
Apr 21, 2004, 11:56 AM
doesn't the UK have a national health system? Just because it's already been paid for, doesn't mean it's any good :p

wdlove
Apr 21, 2004, 11:56 AM
That is a very sad incident. I do know that a pad count is done before closing in the incision. Now they need to add an instrument count also.

iGav
Apr 21, 2004, 12:04 PM
doesn't the UK have a national health system?

yep... it's called the 'NHS' and it's crap... :eek: :rolleyes:

krimson
Apr 21, 2004, 12:10 PM
that's what I was getting at... but then again, it happens here as well, so i dont think that's the actual cause.. :rolleyes:

the gf had her teeth worked on when she went back to japan, and 4 weeks after she came back, the crown popped off... so she went to a US Dentist, and he was shocked at how bad things were done... LOL

wdlove
Apr 21, 2004, 02:01 PM
yep... it's called the 'NHS' and it's crap... :eek: :rolleyes:

Thank you for your honest assessment of government run healthcare. My prayer that politicians and citizens will wake up before it's too late here in the United States.

Sparky's
Apr 21, 2004, 09:42 PM
Thank you for your honest assessment of government run healthcare. My prayer that politicians and citizens will wake up before it's too late here in the United States.

It's closer than you think, don't forget our lovely neighbors to the north.
(knuck, knuck):>)

This story was on the local radio talk show, and the DJ had some incredible numbers relating to this happening, get this over 15,000 times a year something like gauze, clamps, rubber hose, etc. etc. get left in patients and have to be re-opened to retrieve the articles. :eek:

rainman::|:|
Apr 21, 2004, 10:31 PM
more often than instruments, sponges are left inside people. Happens more than you might think, but still not something you're at real risk for. It's a terrifying prospect tho. I understand most surgeons employ almost ritualistic counting of instruments and sponges, and sponges are now marked with some sort of tag, they're making sure they cover all the bases. Sponges are especially dangerous because they can get lost in flesh, and they retain fluid and can lead to toxicity.

a grim topic. fortunately for my peace of mind, i don't have any surgeries planned :)

paul

Giaguara
Apr 22, 2004, 12:04 AM
just one more reason to avoid hospitals at all costs.

apart from the last time i saw a doctor (i needed to for getting a new drivers licence without eye glasses - before the surgery i didn't see my fingers and now i don't wear glasses) the past 2 .. well, i think the past 5 - 10 times i have seen a doctor i did not choose to. there is no way i can control what the doctors do or what happens if i basically wake up in a hospital. :( (i avoid them as far as i can, being exactly to the point i wake up in a hospital)

Counterfit
Apr 22, 2004, 12:16 AM
How was that surgery? Were there any long-lasting side effects?

*sigh* I wish it was covered under medical insurance, stupid experiments.
For reference, without my glasses, I can't see anything clearly past about 7 or 8 inches from my face. :eek:

baby duck monge
Apr 22, 2004, 12:29 AM

i don't want to go to any hospital for an operation because that would mean, like, something was wrong with me. not good could come from that.
;)