Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gemini77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Madrid
Hi, been doing quite a bit of web design lately mainly on good old Dreamweaver and Flash, but i´ve just opened a can of worms, PHP. I need some basic help. ok I believe that I have configured Mysql, Apache and PHP on my Mac correctly.

But when I go to System Pref. Web Sharing, switch it on and try and view `my personal website' http://PaulayMartin.local.lan/~PaulayMartin/ I get the following error

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~PaulayMartin/ on this server.

I understand that this should take me to the index file in the sites folder, my user permissions are set to Read and Write.. But why doesnt it work ???

PS in the same System Pref. Web Sharing I can change the name of my computer, does this have anything to do with anything?

Thanks in advance.. Martin

gemini77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Madrid
Answer.

I found out the solution, took a while but eventually on google I found the following:

'If you clicked on the URL under “Your Personal Website,” you might have gotten a page that says forbidden. This is because in the default configuration in Leopard, unlike in Tiger, does not allow Apache to serve documents from home directories. If you want to enable this feature, you have to create a new Configuration file.'

All seems to work now..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.