Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
I have a G3 700MHz ibook with a failing HD. I'm very certain it needs to be replaced... I've already backed up all my data, but i need to know how much replacing a HD is going to cost me because the computer is no longer under warranty.

Could I get a larger capacity HD installed? how much would that be?

any advice is greatly appreciated.

-TO

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Here is a good website for a new HD ZipZoomFly

Or check out other places you might find a better deal.

Installing yourself is easy, and you can probably find how to install it at the apple website. It's pretty straight forward, I did it without the manual, just remember to rid yourself of static electricity before touching any of the components.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
ibook replacement HD

Nuc said:
Here is a good website for a new HD ZipZoomFly

Or check out other places you might find a better deal.

Installing yourself is easy, and you can probably find how to install it at the apple website. It's pretty straight forward, I did it without the manual, just remember to rid yourself of static electricity before touching any of the components.

you mean I don't have to go to apple to fix my computer??!!! ;-)

Ok- so which hard drive do you recommend... for someone on a budget or for optimal performance? What about power consumption issues? I read on another site that the IBM is not a good choice... I have a 30Gig in there already- but I would like to get a bigger drive... any suggestions?

Also - Do you happen to know the support document that shows you how to replace the HD?

thanks-

-TO

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Nuc said:
I wouldn't exactly call replacing the hard drive on an iBook easy. Do a search on taking an iBook apart. Somebody posted pictures recently. It's doable but it's a last resort. I tend to do everything myself and even I'd pay Apple to do this for me.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN

Horrortaxi is correct about the iBook. I was basing it on the G3 powerbook I have. After searching the apple website, I couldn't find anything for replacing a iBook HD. However I did find that the G3 powerbook has instructions for this. I guess apple doesn't want you doing upgrades other than ram, etc. these days.

So it's up to you about finding somewhere to get it replaced.

About the HD, I have had no problems with the IBM 40GB 5400rpm drive that I have. I would get the 80GB (5400rpm) if I were you ;)
But the 60GB 7200rpm HD would be really nice.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
Horrortaxi said:
I wouldn't exactly call replacing the hard drive on an iBook easy. Do a search on taking an iBook apart. Somebody posted pictures recently. It's doable but it's a last resort. I tend to do everything myself and even I'd pay Apple to do this for me.

I've spent about a half-hour looking at other people's horror stories about replacing their hard-drive on an ibook - even looked at pictures of one 500 MHz model (scary)... it makes me think that i'd rather go to apple and have them do it. but- it shouldn't cost too much, right? maybe the cost of the hard-drive ($100 to $200) plus service ($100)? i'm on a pretty tight budget, and I can't have apple quoting me a repair that would cost more than buying a new ibook.

I might try microcenter - i'll give them a call and find out what they would quote me.

-TO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.